Spring 2003

by RAYZORBLADE 21 Replies latest jw friends

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

For those of you residing in the Northern hemisphere, there's nothing more satisfying than the onset of spring.

This a.m., after working a long shift at work, I arrive home after 5 a.m., and it's pleasantly mild (I live in Toronto) and the sky is partly cloudy. The moon is no longer full, but still very bright.

After I've entered my apartment, washed up and made a light snack, I turn the computer on and open the windows adjacent to me. I have a small balcony, so I open that door as well. I always like fresh air in the apartment.

Within no time, the sounds I haven't heard in awhile, start to tell me spring is here.

Robins are singing their little hearts out; cardinals are singing; raccoons are up to their usual shinanigans; and I can see buds on the trees, and flowers are beginning to poke up out of the gardens.

Very satisfying sounds and visuals right beside my apartment. Fortunately, I live next to a large park, facing west, with NO one above me. It's great!

Spring is a very welcoming season, after you've been through one grueling frigid winter.

Anyone care to share their thoughts on spring?

• Simon
    Simon

Spring is beautiful ... we had a lovely warm sunny day on Friday but it went cooler yesterday and is freezing today (hey, typical Bank Holiday weather for the UK! )

It's nice to have the fresh(ish) air and the birds chirping.

The downside is I have to start moving the lawn

• mattnoel
    mattnoel

MMMM I love spring too ! The fact that I can walk outside with a tee shirt and shorts on. There is a certain smell in the air and people are happy. Its nice when it is so hot in the car that you have to put the air con on. I could go on and on but I wont.

• rocketman
    rocketman

After a long, cold, snowy winter here in the NE US, its great having spring finally arrive. Of course, all the snow has now melted and contributed to the lifting of drought status for the first time since about 1998.

• CyrusThePersian
    CyrusThePersian

Ah, Yes... Spring... That lovely time of year when a young man's fancy turns to thoughts of love...But wait, I'm not a young man... I'm an OLD man! Oh well, what the hell, I'll just go out and mow the $&%# yard...

Cyrus

• Scully
    Scully

I've been enjoying the return of flocks of Canada geese. I love watching them fly in formation and sometimes they'll fly low enough that I can hear them "talking" to each other. The word "majestic" comes to mind when I watch them.

I'm also seeing the first buds on the crab apple tree in my back yard. When it's in bloom it's a brilliant fuschia pink and very fragrant. There are some cardinals and blue jays that frequent the back yard, along with squirrels and chipmunks and a couple of rabbits. We also see the occasional chickadee and hummingbird. Last year I was pleasantly surprised to see a Baltimore Oriole (the bird variety, not the baseball variety!) flitting around the neighbourhood. I think he was lost!

I can't wait to see the flowers come up..... The Tulip Festival is scheduled for May 1-19 here in Ottawa, it's one of my favorite times of year.

Love, Scully

• JH
    JH

Yes spring is here, but the snow is not all gone yet. Still a few patches of snow here and there. In one week all should be gone finally.

Then comes the cleaning process. There is sand everywhere in the streets and on the sidewalks. Sand is put in the streets in the winter to make the streets less slippery, so in the spring, everything has to be cleaned.

Then the lawn has to be entirely raked. The weight of the snow all winter flattened the grass, and it can't breath. That takes a few days just to rake the lawn at my parents house. They are too old to do that, so I do it.

It's about 44 F this morning or 7C. Very cloudy, and will rain all week they say.

Anyways, the nice season is here up to the last week of October.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

I do that everyday. I stop and listen to nature. My wife and I throw fruit peelings out to nature's critters every morning. In fact, as I'm typing, I'm listening to nature and taping them. As I play it back, it sounds as though I'm at a zoo. Thanks for the interesting post.

Guest 77

Guest 77

• Aztec
    Aztec

Woohoo it's the beginning of the season of mud! LOL! This is my favorite time to go to the zoo! All the animals are out running around and boy oh boy are they frisky! I can't say as I blame them. After all those months of short, cold days I am ready to go running around in as little clothing as possible and scream frantically "It's NOT 15 degrees!" Did I mention I have S.A.D.? :) I'm a little on the manic side this time of year. ~Aztec

• blondie
    blondie

I spent the weekend with my in-laws planning our flowers, bushes, trees, and gardens. We share plants and seedlings and will be going to the nursery in 2 weeks to get more. I got some perennials from the neighbors too. I can hardly wait but planting is not possible till May 15th for those that go in the ground. I bring the windowboxes and pots in if the temperature dips too low.

We are going for a instructional walk in a local arboretum. I love knowing the names of the trees I see rather than just say it's a tree. The redbuds are out with daffodils and tulips circling them.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit