My Dreams Have Been Indefinitely Postponed

by StinkyPantz 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Sadie5
    Sadie5

I'm so sorry you are going through this, couldn't happen at a worst time, right? I understand what your situation could be. If they give you less than what you owe on the car, you will have to continue making payments and have no car.

I've gone through this not once, but twice with an ex-husband who wrecked two cars in two years and we didn't get enough to pay off the loans. It's known as "paying on a dead horse."

Can you look into a lawsuit against the one who hit your car for the difference? Maybe small claims court as you wouldn't need a lawyer. Also do they have those "special car dealers" for those with financial problems where you live? The interest is terrible but could get you some wheels until the situation got better.

Hope something good comes out of this.

Sadie

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

StinkyPantz,

It always sees like when things are going really well, something bad happens. I am not going to tell you that everthing will will work out because because we just don't know. The same thing happend to me. I owed about 5 grand on my truck and I got into a car accident with someone who had no insurance. I did not have uninsured motorist, plus I recieved the citiation even though it was clearly the other persons fault. (they pulled out in front of me). I went to court and got out of the ticket and ended up suing the other person. They dissappeared and haven't paid anything. On top of my losing my truck and having to pay it off anyway, i had to pay the doctor bill and the lawyer fees. But I'm ok, I survived, and life goes one even though we have to deal crappy stuff that happens.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Sadie-

Can you look into a lawsuit against the one who hit your car for the difference? Maybe small claims court as you wouldn't need a lawyer. Also do they have those "special car dealers" for those with financial problems where you live? The interest is terrible but could get you some wheels until the situation got better.

I am considering all of these things. I am definitely going to try to sue him if I end having to pay more than $1000. Unfortunately, the guy didn't look like he had much money so the attempt will probably be futile as in Liquidsky's case.

And yes, Wichita is full of "special cal dealers", I'll be giving them a visit in a few days.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

{{{Stinky}}}

I am so sorry! I don't have any answers, I just want to give you a cyber hug. I wish I could offer more.

Tina

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Teeny-

I think a hug is what I need more than anything right now thanks!

• bebu
    bebu

((((Stinky))))

We've had our number of broadside hits; I know how overwhelming these times are. It's very hard especially when you begin to think you may be coming out of a long dark tunnel, and then the light turns out to have been an oncoming train...

The tunnel may be longer for you, but hang in there. Keep us all posted as to what transpires.

bebu

• crownboy
    crownboy

Sorry to hear about your situation, Stinky.

How about hiring some sort of moving van to get your stuff to the new location? You may not get a new car, but at least you won't be stranded in the interim. Hope it all works out for you, of course.

• berylblue
    berylblue

S -

So sorry to hear all of this. Wish I could help, but I just don't know what to suggest.

Rosemarie

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

This is kind of thinking 'outside of the box', but if the car that hit you is 'ok' and repairable, how about making a deal where:

your insurance co. repairs his car totally (if it works our money wise)

he 'trades' you his refurbished car (with title)

he takes your car, and assumes all payments in exchange of you NOT sueing him...

You would then have a car that works, with no payments... and the other guy would be stuck with your problem (seeing as that is only right with the agravation he's caused you).

just a thought....

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

((((StinkyPants))))

I feel so bad for what you are up against! But please don't due anything hasty! You should be covered with your insurance (or his policy) for a rental, check into that. Also even thought you know the true condition of your car the insurance company doesn't. You said:

No need to reread his post because I know my situation, he does not. Listen, I owe $12,000 on my car, but it's a piece of sh*t. I wouldn't even give more that $6,000 if I were them!! They do not have to give me more than it's worth!

DON'T LET THE INSURANCE COMPANY KNOW THIS! As far as they know your car was in excelent condition. A friend of mine had the same thing happen and she DEMANDED that the insurance company pay her the top price for her car, even thought her car "looked" good it was in need of lots of mechanical work, she did not disclose this to the insurance carrier. She did what someone else suggested and proved to the insurance company via ads in the Auto Trader and news paper that her car was selling for the higher amount and DEMANDED they pay that amount. It's all about wearing you down to settle, don't do it, make sure you come out of the situation in the same shape you were in before the accident happened. Yes seek a lawyer and sue the guy who hit you! Double wammy with the insurance company since they cover you both.........they just may settle with a higher amount just to get you off their back, be their worste nightmare, don't give in! Get legal advise!

I wish you the very best! Think Positive! You'll be in Florida in 6 weeks cruzzin' down the highway in a shinny new car with the wind blowing in your hair.

Katie (of the really big hug class)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit