My Dreams Have Been Indefinitely Postponed

by StinkyPantz 38 Replies latest jw friends

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

I woke up to a banging on my door and much to my surprise, it was a police officer. He proceeded to tell me that my car was damaged. I was thinking, "Great, someone must've busted out a window or slashed my tires." In my mind it was surely something minor. When I went outside, I was horrified to see the entire driver's side smashed and mangled. Apparently, at around seven that morning a drunk driver slammed into the side of my car.

Let me tell you the funny part: The guy that hit me has his insurance through the same company I do. Do you realize what that means? It means that I'll get as little as possible! I owe $12,000, but the car is only worth about $9,000. But they'll most likely give me $6,000. So if they give me what it's worth, I'll not only owe $6,000, but I won't even have a car to show for it! It's totaled beyond repair so that's not even an option.

So why is this such a big deal? I am supposed to be moving in 6 weeks (cross-country)!! This is not possible w/o a car. I was moving because the university that I now attend doesn't have the proper degree program, and the University of Central Florida does. Now, we won't be able to move for an indefinite amount of time.

I am so upset right now. I already have a job and a place lined up in Orlando, and I can't even get there. My credit is not very good, so getting another car will be extremely hard. I just don't know what to do.

My future depends on me getting out of this sh*thole city. I can't accomplish what I need to here. And please, don't anybody say, "It just seems bad now, but things eventually work out." In my case, I'm done with all of my basic courses, all I need are specialty courses for my major. WSU, my current school, can not help in this regard, so I need to transfer. If I take a break, I'll start getting billed for my financial aid loans. I can't afford that, plus a car payment on a car that's totaled, PLUS the new car I'll have!!!

This isn't fair!! I don't know what to do?!?!

Thanks for letting me rant.

• Robdar
    Robdar

SP,

Is it possible for your husband to stay in your current city and for you to take the bus to Florida? I know, the bus sucks, but it is a possbility. You will also be able to ride the bus to and from work and to school in Florida. That way you can still honor your prior commitments and let your husband work out the details of your car and the insurance.

Love,

Robyn

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Robyn-

No, that's not a possibiltity. My lease ends in May for one thing, so he'd have to renew it in order to stay here and he'd be stuck for the duration. Plus, I'd still have to move furniture and belongings and that can't be done on a bus. Also, we're basically going to be stuck with two car payments and we make just enough to be comfortable as it is. Moving is financially stressful anyway, but having to pay for a totaled car (plus another one) will be a big burden.

• Robdar
    Robdar

SP,

I have had many leases, and although the agreement may say one thing, usually the landlord, if they know that unfortunate circumstances have arisen, will work with you. You would not need to move your furniture until the time that your husband actually joins you in Florida. You can always take the bus back to Kansas to help with the move. All you need are your clothes for the initial move. You can always send money home to your husband to help out with the bills. There is a way around this.

Robyn

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

(((Stinky)))

I don't know if it's true, but I've heard that cheap cars still flood the market as soon as college lets out for the summer. And there's another flood of cheap cars are on the market as soon as college kids go back to school in the fall. It seems that Graduations in May and June are linked to a lot of new car purchases (as gifts) and a lot of used cars become available. Also there are a lot of college students who need cars in college towns but won't need them again in the summer when they go back home to their parents. A lot of these cars are picked up by students who are in the opposite situation which balances supply and demand in a fairly closed market. Watch the postings on college bulletin boards.

I've been watching the used car market for my oldest son who just got his license. We are fortunate that in the LIRR commuter parking lot, cars for sale are left alone in the lot all weekend with for sale signs. Just saw a 95 Lexus for $7,000 that seemed like a good deal, but for temporary cars, I've seen good (running) cars go for as little as $150.

My first car came from the college market, $25 and it passed inspection. The inspection and new license plates cost more than the car -- although that was several years ago.

Good luck, and I hope you don't have to let this get in the way of your education/career plans.

Gamaliel

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Robyn-

We can't pay for rent in two places, plus two car payments, plus two sets of utilities. Besides that, I couldn't live w/o my husband in a new place alone.

Gamaliel-

If the car is more than $1,000 we'd have to get a loan. Since my credit is horrible, I couldn't even get a loan. If it's less than $1,000 I wouldn't trust is going across country.

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

((((((((((((((StinkyPantz)))))))))))))

YIKES!!!!!

Your insurance company has a fiduciary responsibility to act in your best interest regardless of who insures the other guy's car.

Unfortunately one of the things that happens in these types of situations is that folks don't stand up to the insurance carrier- they simply follow what they are told and believe whatever the insurance company tells them.

Years ago I was in an accident that was totally the other guy's fault. The insurance adjuster for his carrier told me that they would deduct 10% from my damage off the top because Wisconsin State says that I was 10% at fault "just for being there". This was an outright lie but it was also something that was a normal thing for insurance adjusters to say to people and they actually believed it themselves because they were taught this. Saved the insurance company 10% right away!! A lawyer told me later that it was totally false.

It is in their best interest to pay as little as they can in these kinds of situations and they will do so if they can. And even if the information they are giving out isn't necessarily the correct information.

In the same incident I was in a similar situation to yours and I told the adjuster that I was going to need to replace that vehicle and needed transportation in the meantime and I would be renting a vehicle until I found one to purchase. He tried to tell me that they would only approve a certain amount on a rental vehicle and tried get me to go to a "Rent a Wreck" kind of place to rent one. I didn't bite on that. I told him that I'd be going to a normal rental place and that he could either approve it now or I'd sue them for the difference. He approved the normal rental.

The next step was the replacement of my vehicle. It was totalled. He wanted to give me the wholesale amount from the Blue Book on it (and then take the 10% off of that for the "just for being there" lie) and thought I would accept that. I didn't buy that either. I told him it was their responsibility to replace the vehicle I had- so he should then do that- go out and buy one for me at whatever that model would cost.

Please contact someone who knows about the insurance laws in your state and find out what your rights really are. And then stand your ground. Don't let them coerce or bully you into anything. I think during that situation for me many years ago, the only reason I was able to come out of it the way I did was that I had the knowledge I needed and didn't back down.

Their insured totalled your car. You were 0% at fault. They cannot expect you to go out tomorrow and replace that car. They have a responsibility to provide you with transportation while you search for a replacement vehicle. They also have a responsiblity to replace your vehicle.

Breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breathe out...

I hope it works out for you- let us know how it goes. GOOD LUCK and stand your ground !!

XW

• Francois
    Francois

I see an awful lot of speculation in your post, Stinky. You need to get the actual facts before you react.

If you wind up holding $6K and go to purchase a good used car with it, your credit won't get in the way too much.

Get the facts. As in debate, get the terms defined before you start your argument.

francois

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

((((Francois)))) You always have a way to make things looks not so bad. You are a lot like my husband. He is the calm in my storm. Thanks for the reminder of not speculating too much. I know it's something he would do for me.

Andi

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Xena-

Lots of good advice thank you so much! Jon, my husband, is reading everything he can find out about our situation as we speak.

Francois-

I don't think you understand what I wrote. I owe $12,000, so if they give the finance/loan company $6,000 then I'll still owe $6,000 out of pocket. The car is totaled, so it's not like I can drive it. Also, when they total a car, they take it so that they can get salvage money. If I keep it the car, then I have to pay for the repairs, which would be an incredible amount.

Billygoat-

Please show me how I'm speculating incorrectly. I have been reading for 4 hours straight about my situation. Just because I don't won't it to be bad, doesn't mean it isn't. The fact is that I'm screwed.

Also, I am an optimist by nature, but I also see myself as realistic. I haven't made these comments uneducated. I've read up on my options and they are pretty bleak. I can't help that they aren't favorable, they just happen to be in this situation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit