Cult or Religion

by Richard C B 225 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Richard C B
    Richard C B
    @cofty you cant summarize the life of Jesus in 2 sentences. A bit harsh. Im sure when Jesus filled there nets with fish the families had enough money while they where away preaching
  • Richard C B
    Richard C B
    @viviane i supose this is just a platform for attack then not to be reasonable.
  • Viviane
    Viviane
    @cofty you cant summarize the life of Jesus in 2 sentences. A bit harsh. Im sure when Jesus filled there nets with fish the families had enough money while they where away preaching

Actually, Cofty did it in one sentence. Also, the bible never says that Jesus made sure they had enough money from fishing. It's become clear that you have an agenda to defend something or someone from being labelled a cult. What is that agenda?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

So Richard any comments on the info I posted about what could possibly constitute the workings of an

alienating socialized cult ?

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Finklestein - you were a little conservative with the highlighting. I think ones below also apply (my comments added in blue)

3. When, how and with whom the member has sex No sex until marriage, strict control over who is acceptable as a marriage mate (women shouldn't marry someone who's not an MS by 23, encouraged to ask elders about the potential mate's service time, etc)
    7. Financial exploitation, manipulation or dependence Not universal, but due to the ban on higher education and strong encouragement to avoid bad association many JWs seek employment from other JWs and upon waking up find themselves financially bound to the cult.
    8. Restrict leisure, entertainment, vacation time How often were we told not to let leisure time interfere with service time? Also, you're expected to attend meetings even while on vacation.
    9. Major time spent with group indoctrination and rituals and/or self indoctrination including the Internet Meetings, service, studying the WT publications, encouraged to meditate on bible passages (i.e. find ways to fit bible passages into the WTS doctrine) and discuss "spiritual things" with one another
    10. Permission required for major decisions Encouraged to ask elders before you date someone.
    12. Rewards and punishments used to modify behaviors, both positive and negative "Privileges" given to people that spend more time in service. Ostracism, shunning and removal of rank or "privileges" to those that need punishment.

b.Critical information Encouraged not to read any literature a householder might give. Encouraged to stop reading anything that's critical of the cult

d. Keep members busy so they don’t have time to think and investigate Service, meetings, personal study, family study, etc.
    a. Impose a buddy system to monitor and control member Fathers are considered to be responsible for the "spirituality" of their family. New converts often spend a great deal of time with their study conductor and are monitored by them.
    b.Report deviant thoughts, feelings and actions to leadership Encouraged to seek help from elders for doubts, or "immoral" thoughts
    b. Withholding forgiveness or absolution Repentant ones that were DFed are often made to jump through hoops for years before being reinstated
    b. Instill black and white thinking I don't think this needs any further explanation....everything about the cult is black/white thinking

c. Decide between good vs. evil Apostates/worldlies are evil, JWs are good. Only JW "morality" is good, other philosophies are flawed/evil
    2.Change person’s name and identity constantly encouraged to "put on the new personality" - I
    4. Encourage only ‘good and proper’ thoughts Frequent reinforcement of Jesus' saying that someone who longs after a woman has already committed adultery in his heart. This is applied to everything - even thinking about doing something that the cult advises against is considered tantamount to actually committing the "sin"
    5. Hypnotic techniques are used to alter mental states, undermine critical thinking and even to age regress the member This one isn't huge but it could be argued that boring meetings are used to bypass critical thinking, especially in the case of conventions where the insane doctrine ramps up daily as people get more exhausted from the ordeal. Frequently JWs are told to be like the children (age regression) that accepted Jesus immediately and wanted to learn from him.
    a. Denial, rationalization, justification, wishful thinking "closest thing to the truth" "where else will I go?" "They were eager to see the Jehovah's name vindicated" (in response to 1975) on and on
    d. Praying Pray incessantly. Urged to pray habitually any time a bad thought should come up or any difficult situation should arise.
    f. Singing or humming Singing before/during/after meetings. The songs are often used to implant thoughts into JWs that would otherwise be rejected as ridiculous. "Listen, Obey and Be Blessed"

1. Manipulate and narrow the range of feelings – some emotions and/or needs are deemed as evil, wrong or selfish Justified anger/resentment towards a JW is seen as wrong. Any "negative" emotion towards the cult is quickly criticized.
    f. Your thoughts, feelings, actions are irrelevant or selfish Want to go to college? It's only because you're prideful and seeking recognition. Want to have a drink? Be careful that you don't stumble someone. Don't selfishly insist on your rights.
    c. Enemies Fear of apostates
    f. Other’s disapproval "fear of god" is rendered "fear of displeasing god"
    b. Terrible consequences if you leave: hell, demon possession, incurable diseases, accidents, suicide, insanity, 10,000 reincarnations, etc.Constant "experiences" told of JWs that left and joined gangs, became drug addicts, lost hope for paradise and committed suicide, at an assembly last year they even related a story of a kid that left and ended up in jail for murder.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    @viviane i supose this is just a platform for attack then not to be reasonable.

What is your agenda that is served by victim blaming and making extra-biblical claims?

• cofty
    cofty
    you cant summarize the life of Jesus in 2 sentences

I have studied the life and teachings of Jesus for decades.

If he existed at all, "dangerous, egomaniacal cult-leader" sums him up accurately.

• Richard C B
    Richard C B

one sentance or two the point is the same. If you know about fishing it can be a very lucrative business even back then so i read between the lines.

As for an agenda ill be honest with you im at a loss as to what to think. im just trying to process as much info as i can. I would rather not expose my true feelings on this but lets just say im having some difficulties.

• Richard C B
    Richard C B
    yes frankestien i see the experts outline i read it thanks
  • cofty
    cofty
    i read between the lines = I make shit up

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit