Cult or Religion

by Richard C B 225 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Richard C B
    Richard C B
    Then that comes down to interpretation of scripture, sorry to be awkward im not trying to be but it still dosnt argument the case for it being a cult. on that basis you would have to say all religions are cults then we would have to do away with the concept of religion all together and just call them all cults.
  • Bonsai
    Bonsai

but it says in the new testament to abstain from blood and laws where giving to Noah after the flood on proper use of blood.

So what? If I write a law that i conceive on a piece of toilet paper, and it survives 2,000 years, does that make it legally binding in the future? Just because someone wrote it doesn't make it right or relevant or legally binding to modern society. The laws on blood were written for a desert tribe that has been extinct for 2,000 years. And, not to get off track, but you have researched that a global flood is indeed impossible right?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    you would have to say all religions are cults

In my mind they are!

we would have to do away with the concept of religion

better still...do away with all religion, not just just the concept.

• Richard C B
    Richard C B

@ punkofnice Thanks for debating with me I can see you are reasoning and thats what Im trying to do, and I agree with you that if a person where to state that the watchtower ppl are a cult then they would have to say all religions are cults based on our reasoning.

@Bonsai, you are missing the point of the topic its not about scripture integrity.

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

I'm not sure you know what your point is. Do more research and you'll come around. Are you aware of the common understood definition of what a cult is?

Merriam Webster Dictionary: a small religious group that is not part of a larger and more accepted religion and that has beliefs regarded by many people as extreme or dangerous.

Pretty simple and straightforward in my mind. Is it dangerous? Is it extreme? You can answer those questions for yourself without someone on here filling in the gaps for you.

• cofty
    cofty
    Then that comes down to interpretation of scripture, sorry to be awkward im not trying to be but it still dosnt argument the case for it being a cult

Yes it does. When a leader can declare their interpretation of a text and demand that all followers consent, even when the life of their child is at stake, and even when the interpretation is demonstrably wrong, then it is a cult.

on that basis you would have to say all religions are cults

Did you miss my first post in this thread?

• KateWild
    KateWild
    Agreeing to abide by the rules of a sport and regulating your lifestyle to maximise your physical fitness is not cultish. - Cofty

The premier league in the UK is most definitely a cult.The supporters are affected by the BITE model.

Football fans cannot think for themselves, pick their own clothes, and all behave in a frenzy if the ball is close to the goal. They are controlled.

Kate xx

• Richard C B
    Richard C B

@ bonsai,, you have conveniently missed out that the actual dictionary word full meaning of cult,, the cult or movement is led by a charismatic leader. You could apply that for instance to Scientoligy,, im not saying scientoligy is a cult by the way, but they had one leader who you could describe as charismatic.

i think your just getting frustrated because im not being dogmatic and agreeing with you.

I do know what my point is its very clear. And ive done a lot of reserch and also that is what im doing right now there has been some excellent input from others.

What i have learned is, and what I already had in mind, that its very much down to individual experience that one ultimately concludes that Jw s are a cult because they have changed and they brand it a cult because it suits there new or different way of thinking.

Im really looking other evidence to prove its cult status and they dosnt seem to be any.

I would pretty much guarantee most who say its a cult have been disfellowshipped and have regrets.

E.G. someone may have passed over a career opportunity because they wanted,, at the time,, to prioritize preaching. And years later leave the cong. then regret and become bitter.

• cofty
    cofty

Richard - Why are you ignoring most of my answers to your questions?

Kate - I made a similar point on page 1

• Richard C B
    Richard C B
    @ cofty sorry i dont feel as though i have your input has been most valued to me. which questions did you have in mind?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit