Cult or Religion

by Richard C B 225 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

Because they are liars.

They equate obedience to them with obedience to god.

If you had asked some questions earlier instead of proposing and defending an ill-informed opinion you would know that.

• Richard C B
    Richard C B
    Disfellowshiping is irrelevant to this discussion.
  • cofty
    cofty
    Disfellowshiping is irrelevant to this discussion.

Nothing could be more relevant

• Viviane
    Viviane

I am still wondering what Richard's agenda is for defending the WT, making things up and suggesting that the fishermen of antiquity were in a lucrative business (they weren't).

What is your agenda for these underhanded methods?

• Richard C B
    Richard C B
    viviane, how am i defending them? im learning here. And the fisherman thing was my own thought i could be wrong there if so i stand corrected.
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade

even religion that isn't high control like witnesses and scientology is considered a cult in the purist form of the word, and not all the things "cult" are necessarily harmful.

The difference comes when you say dangerous cult. which the witnesses in fact are. All religions are cults. So you cannot say cult or religion, the answer is always both. Now some cults are dangerous like the witnesses and some are eve far more dangerous than them. So as far as I know there is no cult scale showing where a religion falls on the cost of devotion.

Witnesses use undue influence, coercion, emotional manipulation, and the list goes on and on. They are not one of the laid back ones. I suggest you look up on you tube Steve Hassan on Joe Rogan's show. Steven Hassn still is religious and cannot deny that his form of liberal Judaism he participates in could not be called a "Cult". So religion always is a cult. We typically use the word though to describe fringe groups that control people, like the witnesses, but the word has a broad meaning.

jehovah's witnesses are a harmful cult

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

Fishermen had a lucrative business? Is that why Jesus picked them?

Things make a lot more sense now.. I guess then it must have been inflation that pushed the GB to choose real state over fishing. Not enough fish in the water to survive in this time and age.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

Richard,

I am all for playing devil's advocate as a way of learning. However, rather than triaging the subject using the definitions of the WT (the very source of the information you are testing) you need to go look for other sources as well.

• Richard C B
    Richard C B
    you guys think im defending them because im not attacking them. I refuse to attack them and I refuse to attack you also. I want to see both sides of things then i can conclude myself what I belive. I respect all your viewpoints.
  • OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

If you can find one cult that advertises on their website that they're a cult, then maybe the jw.org entry would have some validity to this discussion. Cults don't like to be called cults. They redefine the word so that it doesn't fit them or they'll lie (we don't look to a human leader!) to obfuscate the truth. It's telling that they use what "some think" as their definition of a cult, not what cult experts think.

You've got some reading to do if you really want to educate yourself on why JWs are a cult. Combatting cult mind control is a good book, as is when prophecies fail, and Robert Jay Lifton's books (especially thought reform and the psychology of totalism).

Assuming you are or were a JW, I think it could profoundly benefit you to really fully understand how you've been manipulated. It certainly has been enlightening and useful in my experience.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit