Time matters

by I Faded Twice 23 Replies latest jw friends

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Yes I've heard that line before about 'even if it isn't the truth', and it probably says a lot about the one saying it. Most JWs have doubts, it's only natural, they just can't say it blatantly or they'll be classified as "weak".

• Biahi
    Biahi

Respectful observer, spot on!

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

We had a D.O. maybe 6 or 7 years back at an assembly actually come out and say that - if this ISNT the truth - we are all wasting our time.

So many witness say "if it isnt it is still the best way of life."

He disagreed with that premiss.

It was refreshing. (though of course he felt it was the truth).

• tiki
    tiki

It can be hard to accept once you see the light...that you've wasted so much time and energy for exactly nothing....I remember at one point in fade thinking I should orchestrate a comeback...having spent so much time why stop now....stupid actually...cognitive dissonance disallowed the revival.

• Giordano
    Giordano

I think that the way the so called truth operates is to diminish your intellect. You really have to 'dumb' it down to belong.

Of course the roots of this religion is firmly in the 20th century. They may be online but they are off message.

As Eric Hoffer noted in his book........... The True Believer:

"Not only does a mass movement depict the present as mean and miserable - it deliberately makes it so. It fashions a pattern of individual existence that is dour, hard, repressive and dull. It decries pleasures and comforts and extols the rigorous life. It views ordinary enjoyment as trivial or even discreditable, and represents the pursuit of personal happiness as immoral."

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Its been 3 years since I have stopped going to meetings, and about 7 since I figured out it was all BS.

I still can't deal with not only losing 4 decades +, but knowing that my best years are all behind and that death is really the end.

On top of that, I am loosing what is most important in the world to me other than my 2 kids.

On top of that, decades of "doing the least you need to do to just get by, while working for the lord" is a habit really hard to break.

I am not coping well at all.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

Thats a good math, wasting our lives for a cult.

Here is a shortened version of mine.

Even if this isn’t the truth isn’t your Life clean and peaceful. We Don’t lose anything.

I was provided with the same argument from an Over zealous brother, when I was about to leave the cult

My reasoning for this is, a normal person works for 8 hours, sleeps for 8 hours and the rest 8 hours is spent according to his will and pleasures. He can pursue a healthy passion or hobby, or spend time with his loved ones, or just relax during this 8 hour /day

But Jws are brain washed to work for the WT,for the last 8 hour, along with contributing their hard earned money.

1/3rd of their life wasted for just fictious stories and needless rules. Is this life worth, where there is only one life and in a short while we become non-existent…….. for eternity ?

• I Faded Twice
    I Faded Twice

It is the good years that are missed as mentioned above. I missed out on alot.

Saturday morning cartoons

Playing Sports

Schooling in general

A shot at being a NORMAL person !

• All or nothing
    All or nothing

As I get older, I also agree how valuable time is. My husband sometimes says we should resume meetings to placate our families. I have not agreed to this for the simple fact that I want to enjoy that time that I know I won't be enjoying that grueling meeting. I told him it's completely useless to go back because that won't be good enough. Pressure will be put on us to do more- we lived that life- I'm done with that!

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

"What if it's not the truth?" Then it's a lie. Period. You dedicated your life, your family, avoided friendships, education, adventures. You dedicated your life to a lie some old white guys made up to make them rich.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit