Are you planning anything special for Memorial?

by Athanasius 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Since I never partook of the bread and wine all the years I was a JW, thought it would be fun to attend this year's Memorial and sample the matzo and hopefully some kosher wine. Thought it might impress JWs if I walked into the KH wearing a Yarmulke and a Tallith (prayer shawl). Anybody else plan to have some fun at the Memorial?

Athanasius

• blondie
    blondie

Athanasius, we're having bread and wine at our house. I want to be with my friends like Jesus was so the KH is out for me. No boring 45 minute talk about why we can't partake though.

Blondie

• gumby
    gumby

I'm planning on having a few beers and probly some sardines and coming here while my wifes at the hall watching nobody partake.

Gumby

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Yes Athan' I plan on staying home and having a glass of wine (not kosher) and some crackers and cream cheese. All the while contemplating on how contented and relaxed I am at home.

No somber, almost hilarious passing of wine and unedible bread, while listening to a mind numbing elder drone on about something of no interest to me.

If I wanted some real dramatic-solemn-sacred ceremonial demonstration with all the trappings. I would go to my local catholic church.

Outoftheorg

• Mulan
    Mulan

Definitely. We will be in Florida with Venice and her folks. Probably spend some time swimming in the ocean, eat great food, drink good wine, espresso occasionally, some really great conversation, and lots of laughing. Ah...............life is good.

• Francois
    Francois

I'm having some spiritually-motivated friends over for a swig of good Shiraz and a nibble of matzoh and then we'll thank the God of our understanding for sending our Big Brother to us to illuminate The Way. Just like we do from time to time throughout the year when we are feeling particularly thankful for the visit here of The Master.

francois

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I think that's a good idea, Francois. I am planning something special: not going to the Memorial for the first time in my life.

Nina

• DJ
    DJ

I think that it is interesting to point out that the first Christians to follow Jesus' teaching about the memorial in the bible actually sat and ate a meal together. They did not meet for crackers and a sip of wine. They may have done the ceremonial emblems but it really doesn't say. In Corinthians, Paul disciplines the church because some are showing up drunk or eating before everyone else gets there. Through it all though, it is clear that they actually shared a meal, you know, broke bread together.

The other thing that bugs me is....why do they call it a Memorial? That is like a viewing at a funeral right? They still see Jesus as DEAD. Most Chritians call it communion. That makes sense, to commune with the Lord in his presence. dj

• gumby
    gumby

Of course this is just the facts folks ....... not my idea

In all other major respects the theology of the two cults were all but identical.

Mithras had had twelve followers with whom he had shared a last sacramental meal. He had sacrificed himself to redeem mankind. Descending into the underworld, he had conquered death and had risen to life again on the third day. The holy day for this sun god was, of course, Sunday; Christians continued to follow the Jewish Sabbath until the fourth century. His many titles included ‘the Truth,’ ‘the Light,’ and ‘the Good Shepherd.’ For those who worshipped him, invoking the name of Mithras healed the sick and worked miracles. Mithras could dispense mercy and grant immortality; to his devotees he offered hope. By drinking his blood and eating his flesh (by proxy, from a slain bull) they too could conquer death. On a Day of Judgement those already dead would be raised back to life.

All this may surprise modern Christians but it was very familiar to the Church Fathers [See e.g. Justin, Origen, Tertullian], who filled their ‘Apologies’ with dubious rationales as to how Mithraism had anticipated the whole nine yards of Christianity centuries before the supposed arrival of Jesus – ‘diabolic mimicry by a prescient Satan’ being the standard explanation. Pagan critics were not slow to point to the truth: Christianity had simply copied the popular motifs of a competitive faith.

Like I said.....it's just what I read.

Gumby

• avishai
    avishai

Yeah, I'm going to the kingdom hall with a can of easy cheese!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit