Rabbi Responds to Jehovah's Witnesses

by DevonMcBride 33 Replies latest jw friends

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

I never became a Witness, but I did take the time to learn to read Greek. I also looked into Hebrew, but never got to the point of being able to read it. Along the way I decided that the Bible was mostly myth so it didn't seem quite as important to finish my study of Hebrew.

At the time it seemed that the subject of God and the Bible was important enough to justify the effort. Even though I am a not believer, I'm still very glad that I studied the Biblical languages.

To bad the lady didn't accept a study. She may have been able to teach the Witness a few things about the OT.

pseudo

• Granny Linda
    Granny Linda

A Jewish book for Jewish people. Not interested.

granny

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

I don't like the dubbies either but she was not polite at all. As far as I read, the jw's didn't say anything arrogant or superior to her

What, you don't consider the assumption that they (the JWs) had a better understanding of the Hebrew scriptures than a Rabbi (woman though she is ), even though she and her family can read the original language and they can't, to be arrogant? The assumption that Jews don't understand the 'whole' Bible, because they only have the first half, and that it's really Christians who understand it?? How about the assumption that "God's Chosen People" are wrong about God? I think all these assumptions are show a large amount of arrogance and superiority...from a whole lot of Christians, not just JWs.

How about the assumption that all JWs make that every householder should drop whatever they happen to be doing at the moment and be pathetically grateful that the JWs are doing such "important preaching work" .

I think she had every right to put them in their place, in her own home. I wish more people would, rather than being afraid of being "impolite." (I think it's impolite to do the religious equivalent of telemarketing, but that doesn't stop JWs)

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

I think that is it rather anti-social of God to expect everybody to learn his language, after all if the Bible is to be believed, he created all the other ones anyway.

HS

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

What words then best translates, LOVE? From a book or ACTION?

Guest 77

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

agreed, guest77. Arguing over dead languages is pointless. actions over words, deeds over thoughts.

• anti-absolutist
    anti-absolutist

Hillary Step.....

Yet again you have cut right through the hypocrisy of ALL RELIGION. GOOD FOR YOU!!!!

Who the heck is the JW at the door or the Rabbi to suggest that they KNOW what God wants. I tried for the first 30 years of my life before I realized I DON'T KNOW. I'm a lot closer to knowing GOD (whatever you choose to consider he/she/it to be) now that I have humbled myself to the point of realising that I will never know.

I think, with all the religious wars over the centuries, as well as the hate between all religions, that anyone who professes to HAVE THE TRUTH, (Rabbi or JW) condemns themselves to ignorance.

Brad

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Many of you missed the point the Rabbi made. She doesn't expect everyone to learn Hebrew to understand the Bible. She said that later on in the post. She does feel it's nervy of the JW's or any missionary to say only they understand the bible correctly when they can't even read God's words.

Devon

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

It doesn't matter if her argument is weak or not because she wasn't out to debate with them. She wanted them to stop bothering her and it worked.

Devon

• dedalus
    dedalus
    However, I am deeply offended by missionaries because their fundamental premise is that my religious tradition is inadequate and theirs is innately superior.

Ironically, the entire anecdote only proves that the "rabbi" thinks her religious tradition is innately superior and the missionary's is inadequate. And she's blithely passing that smugness onto her children.

It's not surprising that a religious person would be blind to her own hypocrisy, though.

Dedalus

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit