Ok, I NEVER post about anything having to do with god or the bible, but....

by Jesika 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nowisee
    nowisee

in a generic sense, i think it is trying to do what is right by the direction of a higher power.

but i also think it can be quite personal.

for me it was being desperate and frightened, then reaching out, begging for help, and then finding direction. then following that direction.

it was me, being totally broken and hopeless, then crying out, then being given something to grasp onto and then finding that that something was actually solid and reliable.

it was discovering a Savior whom i could love, who was so worthy of my love, and then realizing that i only could love Him because He loved me first and numbered the hairs on my head and called me by name.

it was discovering a God who i could trust, a God of compassion and mercy. it was finding peace. it was not being afraid anymore.

nowisee

• larc
    larc

Jesika, If you are dense, then so am I. You captured my opinion of the concept of spirituality perfectly. I don't have it. I don't want it, and I am glad of that. To me spirituality is an empty and meaningless concept. For those who tryed to define the concept and what spirituality means to you, please don't take offense. I am in no way putting you down for what you believe. It is just that this concept does not compute for me.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Jesika,

I have had the same question . This is what I currently have chosen to believe:

You are not a human being having a spiritual experience. You are a spiritual being having a human experience.

Lisa

• Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.
    Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.

Lisa.

I can see it now. In Heaven. A travel agency offering vacations on Earth.

"Spend some time on Earth. Can't guarantee it will be enjoyable, but it will be short."

N.B. Strict regulations apply - only 144,000 are allowed to return 'home'.

Cheeses -always there for you.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

spiritual - pertaining to spirit and spirits

spirits - powerful if ignited

people have spirits - a spirit of concern, spirit of truth, spirit of envy, etc etc

- a spirit of love (that's God)

some spirits can be unruly - proud ones (horses) - Philip (philos hippo - friend of horses) - these spirits don't divide the hoof

we can rule (ourselves) with Christ - some people learn this discipline - disciples

perhaps like the centurion who says to one go and he goes, and to another come and he comes

(to another the ability to distinguish between spirits)

which spirits are in your house?

Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by giving heed to deceitful spirits

Nevertheless do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you

ie. don't get off on your ability for self-discipline

I hope all that provides some small spiritually oriented extrapolation for you - a spiritual perspective of the bible is a very different thing to jwism

paduan

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Wow Jes! Great question.

I am with you and Larc. I don't have it, never did have it and never will have it.

The closest I can get is "trusting my gut." Once in a while you get the feeling (in your gut) that something is *right* or *wrong*....it could be the selection of salad dressing or what color underwear to put on.

When I pick black panties and Italian dressing, I know I've reached that peak...

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

I just read my post above - sorry if it sounds a bit too preachy

Try this link - it's a streaming radio program online - "the spirit of things"

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/relig/spirit/

I like the the one called "Soul Talk" http://www.abc.net.au/rn/relig/spirit/audio/spirit_30032003_2856.ram

paduan

• wednesday
    wednesday

I have been a very spiritual person , despite my many shortcomings. i can describe to u that when i am in prayer, i feel sort of a string connecting me to God. It feels like bonding with a good friend. After i left the jws, i lost that for some time. i hated so much. but i am now praying again, and it is returning. I see God in nature, in simple things. I believe he directs people to help us. I do not doubt His existence. I feel confused as to what to call him now,God, or jehovah. currently, i still feel comfortable with jehovah. That may change. I do have doubts that the Bible is inspired.

• Jayson
    Jayson

(((Jes)))

What is it to be spiritual?

Jes do you have hope?

Einstein said "I believe in God...If he exists."

Socrates once said that one of two things will happen when I die. Either I will go into a deep eternal sleep or, I will awaken and all of my friends who have died will be waiting for me. I am OK with either one.

I can deal with that.

The ancient Greeks did not have the Bible, Torah, or the Koran. They had poets and philosophers. You should consider the works of Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle. Being spiritual is not necessary being religious.

Faith is not doctrine and dogma. I have been working on an essay where the jest is, the "Religiously Righteous" take faith which flows from us freely and bottle it like water from a tap. From ourselves our faith is free. From them, they sell you prepackaged bottled faith rationed for a dollar. Being religious does not make you weak or strong IMO. Believing that if there is a Heaven and a God that you are good enough for him that is what makes you spiritually strong.

Just me,

Jay

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Jess...Hows this for a mindbender, The newest findings have enabled us some insight into the biology of belief. Various mental "systems" interact to enable humans to draw inferences from indirect evidence then illicit emotional response to impell us to act in what is deemed the most appropriate way. Unfortunately these systems are easily manipulated or just mistaken. In other words any discussion about spirituality must include some understanding of the brain chemistry involved. It is most unwelcomed by many to hear that other higher animal appear to use similar brain systems to survive in their environments. In other words it is possible that animals "feel" some type of spirituality! Spirituality often involves superstition. What constitutes a superstition? Is the dog that was beaten by a mailman and henceforth runs or bites any uniformed man acting out of a sense of superstition? Are animals that perpetuate learned behavior, such as nut burrying, actually transmitting "traditions"? All higher animal behavior is demonstrably illicited with emotions, anxiety, guilt, shame, grief, lust, fear etc., this is the way the brain has evolved to steer the body. Satisfying the brains demands triggers one of two reward centers in the brain and results in a sense of wellbeing and warmth. This reinforces the desire to act a certain way. Also in this way certain behaviors become addictive, comfortable habits. Religions are merely exploiting this brain function and usually are successful only when paired with the directive to rely upon feeling above evidence and the high brain functions of logic and analysis. So I ask, do whales and chimps have spiritual sensations? Quite possibly, but humans are unique in having the ability to understand why they feel the way they do and reason out a better course when the evidence merits one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit