Are you a different person now from when you were a JW?

by NaruNaruChan 19 Replies latest jw friends

• NaruNaruChan
    NaruNaruChan

I got an e-mail today from an old high school friend who, after we met for coffee, said "Wow, you're normal again! I mean, you were boring, stuffy, and generally not much fun when you became a JW. Now you're back to the old so-and-so that I remember, I love it! WELCOME BACK!"

Has anyone else experienced that since you left?

Are you back to your old self yet? Or are you still depressed from the losses you faced as a JW? I'm back, better than ever because I appreciate what I have now. ^_^ I left the org. with my sanity, with my youth, and I feel in tact. ^_^ How about you?

And if you're still hurting...what do you do to make yourself feel better?

• mattnoel
    mattnoel

Oh hell yeah Naru,

I am no longer a stuffy jumped up little prick of a JW. I am normal. I got on with a lot of people but ones that I knew outside the JW's all say how much I have changed and they feel they have the real matt back !

• ballistic
    ballistic

There's 101 ways I got back to normal even though I was more or less brought up in it.

• be wise
    be wise

I was brought up in it. Old school friends and people I know who I meet through the kind of work I do are genuinally amazed when they meet me, they can't believe it's me because I'm so much happier and balanced and not . I've come such a long way since leaving, I can bearly remember what I was like although I can hazard a guess.

C U, Feeling good now.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Yes and no. I'm still the same person I was 20 years, but I've changed completely.

Man, I ain't changed, but I know I ain't the same -- One Headlight, The Wallflowers

• Mulan
    Mulan

I know I've changed. I was raised as a JW, so I experienced a huge personality change when we learned the real truth. I am much more "out there" now than ever.................and NO ONE controls me anymore. I am less judgmental, much more open, and accepting of anything people want to believe. Of course the old Pharisee in me raises her ugly head from time to time, but I beat her back down. My kids help too, and remind me.

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

I honestly think I'm the same person I always was. When I was "active" I still used to act crazy like I do now, and I still do the same. If I was to become "active" again I'd still mess about. No-one patted me on the back for being JW, no-one patted me on the back for not being JW. Most just like me for who I am regardless.....thats me, Scott.

• Carmel
    Carmel

All my cells have been replaced several times since leaving the fold, so probably I've cchanged.

cadaver man

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

Has anyone else experienced that since you left?

Oh, Yeah!

NO ONE controls me anymore. I am less judgmental, much more open, and accepting of anything people want to believe.

Me, too.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

We all change over the years. I've been out of the Watch Tower for 20 years and have got on with my life. However, I did have an interesting experience a few years back. I was talking with my old Latin teacher, who I had witnessed to when I was in high school. I told him that I had left the JWs and was now an Episcopalian. Interestingly my conversion was not a surprise to him. Though at the time he aware that I was caught up in a cult, he knew that eventually I would see the errors of Watch Tower doctrine and become a Catholic. He was right. Perhaps we don't really change all that much.

Athanasius

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit