Do You Think That We Should Be Able To Exercise Freedom Of Speech Here?

by minimus 23 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

After reading some comments regarding the war, it seems that some here feel that we SHOULD be able to post whatever we feel passionate about. Some feel that if a subject is newsworthy or "hot", that it's an area that is O.K. to get into. Others feel that they might be able to say anything they want in the name of "freedom of speech", whether it's considered generally offensive or is personally attacking. This happens to be Simon's board. Ultimately, HE is the one that makes decisions that are rules of his board. ....Now, let's forget about politics or war for a moment. If any subject that is not JW oriented continues to dominate threads, is that improper for this board? What exactly should be considered per, the owner/operator of this board, as acceptable for posting? Please don't tell me that common sense dictates the obvious answer. It doesn't. Let me express my view if possible. I think that subjects that are of interest to the world, as a whole should be able to discussed without any negative comments attached. If, though, a person PERSONALLY ATTACKS a poster for a certain view, this is unacceptable. Then, "freedom of speech" goes out the window. But if a community passionately wants to discuss a subject that is not really 100% a JW theme, I think it should be allowed. I don't think that we have to worry that this board will become an unclear forum. It will always be a JW discussion forum (or ex-JW). I think we should be able to freely think and express ourselves without the worry that we are are going to get censured or silenced for our comments and opinions.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Too bad.....I was hoping it would morph into a discussion board about sex and sports.

Basically, I am open to discussions on most areas of interest. Plus, there is a breakdown of various categories under which we can post our threads and replies, which certainly implies that such varied discussion topics are welcome. So as long as personal attacks are not involved, I have no problem with a variety of topics, some of which may not directly relate to the jw experience.

And don't forget: as jws past, maybe present, and god-help-some-of-us future, we are 'keeping watch on world events as they unfold'.

• Simon
    Simon

Any "freedom" is relative and no-one on has any absolute freedoms ... anywhere.

I think we have a good balance and there are very few things that people are not allowed to say, certainly very little of any value. No one is being censored or silenced even if their topics are not for this forum as they have ample opportunity to post them elsewhere on more appropriate forums relating to their subject.

Using the label "freedom of speech" is a red-herring in my opinion as this is not the issue.

As always, the issue is about how things are presented and whether it is done in a civil way.

People may want to discuss Nazism and Jews as some have in the past but at some point, we have to disallow right-wing propaganda when it becomes thread-after-thread of anti-semetism. Again, I don't see this as denying anyone's free-speech - they can post that alsewhere if they want or creat their own websites for it.

Freedoms always go alongside responsibilities. You cannot claim the freedom without bearing the responsibilities IMHO.

If people cannot be civill and sensible though, at what point shoudl I step in? If I shouldn't then what shoudl I say to the same people who are then complaining about some of the things being posted?

• minimus
    minimus

I was thinking about our old friend that had a thing about the Jews. And then I think about how some have a conspiracy theory for everything imaginable. Then, you've got a few that are interested in talking about their love of movies or music. There are some that hate political discussions and others that love them. Some here love to show pictures, whether it be of their dog, children or themselves. This sure is a diversified place and I like it like that.

• minimus
    minimus

Simon, I wrote what I said while you were writing your comment. You seem to be criticized for your wanting to stop certain subjects. Is this correct or not? I understand that some might attack personally because of their being heated, but I don't think that's the only issue here. My question comes into play because you are percieved by some to want to close down threads that you don't want to discuss any further. In other words, people might think that you are not allowing certain subjects to be considered because YOU don't want them talked about anymore on your forum. Once again, I think that you make the rules and we should abide by them.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step
    Using the label "freedom of speech" is a red-herring in my opinion as this is not the issue.

The expression 'freedom of speech', like the expression 'unconditional love' is a reality only in the slogans contained in supermarket self-help books. They do not exist. Society, common-sense ( God bless it! ) and individual preference will always serve to regulate what is viewed as free-speech and so it should.

Even those who strain at the leash over the issue of free speech for example would curtail speech encouraging and glorifying pedophilia, or the passing of State Secrets, so 'free-speech' must be framed within its context. It is also nigh on impossible to find a common denominator between 'freedom of speech' and 'freedom to speak' and still please everybody, especially a bunch of feisty XJW's - probably one of the most intolerant group of people on earth, apart of course from JW's....lol

I think that owning an XJW Board should be like Mormon Missionary activity, a strictly three year cycle but with an added bonus of a medal at the end of ones service which reads, "I Survived The XJW's".

Best regards - HS

• minimus
    minimus

The "freedom of speech" that I am referring to is a "relative " one. That is why, anti-semitism is not tolerated here, and that's good. And pedophilia is not discussed as being acceptable, for obvious reasons. But my question is in context with what has Simon has been criticized for. And you know that.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

We have a great deal of freedom of speach here..When a subject that is volitile just by it`s very nature gets out of hand,sometimes it`s nessesary to calm things down..If staying off a subject for a bit does it,so be it...OUTLAW

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Minumus,

The "freedom of speech" that I am referring to is a "relative " one. That is why, anti-semitism is not tolerated here, and that's good. And pedophilia is not discussed as being acceptable, for obvious reasons. But my question is in context with what has Simon has been criticized for. And you know that.

I do know that, and my response was an additions to Simon's response to your question. If you do not know that, you should, especially if you bother reading the contents of your own thread! HS

• minimus
    minimus

What? No Best Regards??? My, you guys are sensitive.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit