The "Security" Of Being A Jehovah's Witness

by minimus 20 Replies latest jw friends

• qadreena
    qadreena

I was always the quiet one

Didn't know I could think for myself till I left and found myself without the security of the witnesses

It was very liberating when I realised not only could I do what I wanted but I could also think how I wanted

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I think that most JW's can't even begin to imagine life outside the org, it is a horrifying thought to them, to live with uncertainty. I know this was true of me, that is until about a year and a half ago when I stopped attending meetings. At the time it was, "I need a break but I'll go back". Problem was, I didn't miss it.

• Scully
    Scully

Believing that you had accepted the Privilege TM of associating with God's Earthly Organization TM brought a certain sense of security with it. However, it always seemed like you were just not worthy or deserving of surviving Armageddon TM , because you could have always been Doing More for Jehovah TM . It was a very frustrating existence. So really, there was no security at all. It is the Always Running But Never Going Anywhere Hamster Wheel Life of the average JW.

Love, Scully

• Farkel
    Farkel

minimus said:

: I am convinced that many Witnesses are happy that they are in this religion because they are told exactly what to do and how to think. It gives them a sense of security. They don't have to blame themselves for anything. They don't have to make a real personal decision because everything is spelled out for them. They feel a sense of false security. Do you agree?

Yes.

And this type of thinking is evil. And dangerous.

Farkel

• minimus
    minimus

The interesting thing is that the more you miss meetings and other "theocratic" pursuits, the easier it so to stop dwelling on the "truth". It's easy to understand why the Society wants us to stay on the cycle that necessitates our being 110% consumed with them. Stay away from meetings and service for just a little while, and before you know it-----YOU'RE OUT!

• Scully
    Scully

minimus:

I'm going to give your original comments at the beginning of the thread a little tweak to demonstrate how potentially dangerous the JWs are:

I am convinced that many Nazis are happy that they are in this organization because they are told exactly what to do and how to think. It gives them a sense of security. They don't have to blame themselves for anything. They don't have to make a real personal decision because everything is spelled out for them.
    Love, Scully
  • minimus
    minimus

Or perhaps we can substitute---- Americans? ..........Minimus, just being a badboy.

• minimus
    minimus

I heard someone recently express that if they weren't a Witness, they'd probably be in jail right now. For those that were on drugs, prostitution and mischief, having any structure is probably a positive for them. At least they know they will stay on the straight and narrow.....But to where?

• Scully
    Scully

minimus writes:

I heard someone recently express that if they weren't a Witness, they'd probably be in jail right now. For those that were on drugs, prostitution and mischief, having any structure is probably a positive for them. At least they know they will stay on the straight and narrow.....But to where?

While that may be true for some people, what's the point in trading one dysfunctional lifestyle for another one? If you need to be a JW to "behave" in a socially responsible manner - ie, not stealing, not committing adultery, not doing stuff that will put you in jail - that doesn't say much for your strength of character, does it? Eventually the "reward" of living forever in paradise could be outweighed by the desire for immediate gratification of their immoral tendencies... and then they get DFd..... and then what? Love, Scully

• minimus
    minimus

In some cases you see street punks turn to Islam and it literally saves them from living their lives in prison. Some criminals become born-again Christians and change their whole way of thinking. For some, there is a need to be guided with strict principles to make life liveable. Many people need structure in their lives, whether it be right or wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit