The "Security" Of Being A Jehovah's Witness

by minimus 20 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I am convinced that many Witnesses are happy that they are in this religion because they are told exactly what to do and how to think. It gives them a sense of security. They don't have to blame themselves for anything. They don't have to make a real personal decision because everything is spelled out for them. They feel a sense of false security. Do you agree?

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Agree. They have fallen under the spell. The reason organized religion was established in the first place. It takes guts and some degree of inner integrity, to break free. Congratulations to everyone here......except for those, well, you know who you are. JamesT

• freedom96
    freedom96

Yes, definately a false sense of security. And when the shit hits the fan, the WTS does absolutely nothing to help them out. A good luck finding many witnesses to help out long term too.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Dubs with their heads stuck in the ground,and a big target on their ass still above ground..Some security..LOL!.....OUTLAW

• minimus
    minimus

Recently, my wife has started to think without feeling the need to be dependent on the elders or more specifically, the organization. She and many more have been AFRAID to deal with life,life inside the organization and outside. Once a person realizes the NEED to think for oneself, it can be very liberating. That is why the organization teaches us that we should not become independent. Once that happens, it's the kiss of death for the organization.

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, minimus, the book "True Believer" says that many people join mass movements because they don't have to be responsible for their actions.

Blondie

• rocketman
    rocketman

I'd agree, no question. There are people who need to be told what to do and how to think. Such are the type who not only join the jws, but then aske elders or write the Society questions about some of the simplest and also even the most intimate parts of their lives, i.e. how to enage in foreplay, whether to have oral sex, etc.

• rocketman
    rocketman

btw, one sister once mentioned that she wished the Society would provide a list of movies that we should avoid. She didn't want to think it through for herself.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

i think its because they feel they've bought a piece of paradise, because they've bought what the WTS says. i know thats how i used to feel. pretty selfish and arrogant really.

• lauralisa
    lauralisa

Hi Minimus,

I wrote this a long time ago, but still reflect sometimes on how "easy" it was to have a universal explanation for ALL THINGS, so to speak. I still miss that 'security'... but know better now! (I am lame when it comes to formatting on this new forum but here is the germane paragraph.)

I have compassion for anyone who struggles with the desire to "go back" to the organization because it is their heart-felt belief that it is the only way to truly serve God; I have never tried to convince anyone I've known from the hall to leave. (Then again, it's not like they would ever talk to me.) On the other hand, I've got the clarity of thought to know, and I mean KNOW, that the organization that claims itself to be God's only channel and mouthpiece is NOT. Separation from the controlling fear tactics has given me the ability to look at the very real, entirely legitimate credibility issues that exist regarding it... issues that are blatant and in need of exposure.

I don't have the security of feeling like I've got access to "absolute truth" like I did before, but I do know that I can participate in this human existence thing without hating every single day and cursing the day I was born...

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/15234/183603/post.ashx#183603http

Not much time, but thanks for the interesting thread...

lauralisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit