So the governing body is NOT inspired...are they still "spirit directed"?

by NikL 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Heaven
    Heaven

If the GB are being directed by some kind of spirit, this is the only kind involved:

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I like how Barb Anderson once humorously put it: "...quasi-inspired..." :smirk:

I wonder who came up with the term "spirit-directed".

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

What do you expect them to say, "We don't know WTF we are doing, and we never have. CTR made a shit-load of money, and somehow we've managed to make a shit-load by getting into the Real Estate biz with the "merchants of the Earth." Heck, we just do what the Rothschilds say! After all, religion is an excellent way to control large amounts of the population!"???

They admit that they make mistakes in doctrine and procedures, but somehow claim that God/Jesus is leading them! Just look at their justification. "Jesus never said the "Slave" would provide perfect food." WTF?!?!?!!

Oh, SHAME on you sheep! You have the nerve to expect that our instructions (that you must obey to gain life) would be flawless?? You expect Jesus to communicate PERFECTLY with us?!?! You demand PERFECT food?!?! How dare you!!! Why don't you STFU and obey?!?!

Did you notice how the article ends by saying how close the END is? LOL!!! They aren't inspired, they screw up, but you must obey them, because obeying THEM = Obeying GOD. It's sickening.

They also claim that all their wonderful refined understandings are from the FDS, a small group of anointed MEN at HQ! That is the channel of truth, God/Jesus/FDS/WT magazine. Truths are only refined/revealed through those that GOD is using to lead his people today. Did you follow that? Really, really think about it...

Question: If GOD reveals truth ONLY through the FDS, then why did the WTBTS borrow the hypothetical "Evil Slave" doctrine from Scholars of Christendom? Are Christendom's scholars being used to reveal truth? Are they at HQ?! How can the WTBTS adopt Christendom's interpretations, yet claim to be God's Channel??

What about today's WT? "God wants you to use your brain! Don't be a blind follower, do your own research in WTBTS approved reading material!" Yeah! Use your brain, just make sure you accept what could be flawed spiritual food and obey us, or you're DEAD MEAT.

PUKE!!!! PUKE!!!! SPEW!!!! BARF!!!! What else can say?? If you don't understand how wrong this is, how perverse it is, then God help you.

DD 😲

• schnell
    schnell

A friend told me that he met Gerrit Losch once and asked him about generations. Gerrit put his arm around (or his hand on his shoulder, however the story went) and said, "I know, we get a lot wrong. But look how much we've gotten right!"

It's an argument that I've heard before many times, regardless of reality. I showed him Losch's statement to the court and told him all about it. My friend remains unswayed no matter how wrong he knows this is. It's maddening.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

NIK L:

I never believed the governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses was "inspired", "spirit directed" or whatever else anybody else wants to call it. I do not believe anybody in modern times can make this divine claim.

In my opinion, I think this was somebody's bright idea cooked up behind closed doors at some point to give themselves some kind of spiritual "mystique". Otherwise, what are they? Just a club, really. The mystical claim gives them the right to call themselves a religion. Maybe, it was to keep people from criticizing them?

But, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence as far as I'm concerned.

• Listener
    Listener

In the November broadcast Losch said this

Whereas Jesus’ teachings and the word of God are inspired the FDS is not inspired although it champions the truth. Nevertheless the FDS provides spiritual food. Whereas in the first century there was supernatural spiritual food available for apostles and bible writers, in the time of the end Jehovah does not bestow this miraculous gift anymore as explained at 1 Corinthians 13:8. Although there is no divine inspiration today still Jesus leads his people progressively through the services of the faithful slave.

If there has been no divine inspiration since the 1st Century then how did the Bible remain relatively complete down to our day? There stand on there being no inspiration today leaves the Bible itself in question.

In the Insight book under Inspiration they say this

Authority of Copies and Translations. Absolute inerrancy is therefore to be attributed to the written Word of God. This is true of the original writings, none of which are known to exist today. The copies of those original writings and the translations made in many languages cannot lay claim to absolute accuracy. There is solid evidence and sound reason for believing, however, that the available manuscripts of the Sacred Scriptures do provide copies of the written Word of God in nearly exact form, the points in question having little bearing on the sense of the message conveyed. God’s own purpose in preparing the Sacred Scriptures and the inspired declaration that “the saying of Jehovah endures forever” give assurance that Jehovah God has preserved the internal integrity of the Scriptures through the centuries.—1Pe 1:25.

Losch quotes 1 Cor. 13:8 as confirming that there is no inspiration today. That scripture from the NWT states

Whether there are gifts of prophesying, they will be done away with; whether there are [miraculously spoken] tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will be done away with.” (1 Corinthians 13:8)

It states that prophesying and speaking in tongues would cease and also that knowledge would be done away with. They claim that knowledge would actually increase in the last days with the light getting brighter etc. It appears that there slant on this scripture can be found in Watchtower 2008 12/1, which they've kindly added to this scripture so that we can understand it better. It reads

Whether there are gifts of prophesying, they will be done away with; whether there are [miraculously spoken] tongues, they will cease; whether there is [divinely revealed] knowledge, it will be done away with.” (1 Corinthians 13:8)
    There we have it, there is no divinely revealed knowledge today. We then have to ask how they identity of the Other Sheep was revealed to them, how they know that Jesus appointed them as the FDS and how they know that they are personally anointed with a heavenly hope.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

This is a get out clause to avoid law suits.

The real message is, "We are not inspired and make mistakes but you better bladdy well still think we are infallible or you'll be DF'd. Okay? Got that plebs?"

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ punk...

Fred Franz and Hayden Covington essentially admitted as much during the Walsh Trial.

I am still - to this day - gobsmacked that the WTS got tax-exemption in Scotland after that.

• schnell
    schnell

@Vid, got a link? I'd like to see that.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

No, sorry.

Shouldn't be too hard for you to find, though.

I'm absolutely positive that their damning and embarrassing admissions during the Walsh Trial are the main reason the Legal Dept currently bends over backwards to keep GB members off the stands.

Franz and Covington came across as a couple of grade-A fascist assholes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit