Iraqis in Iran (free from US military) express their support for Saddam

by Elsewhere 16 Replies latest social current

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,83889,00.html

200 Iraqis Storm Their Embassy in Iran

Friday, April 11, 2003

TEHRAN, Iran — About 200 Iraqis stormed their embassy in the Iranian capital Friday morning, smashing photographs of Saddam Hussein and shouting against both the missing Iraqi leader and the possibility the United States would run the government that replaces him.

About 60 people were arrested.

Police said no Iraqi diplomats had been in the building in central Tehran since Thursday. About a dozen police were guarding the embassy Friday, too few to hold back the angry crowd.

"No Saddam! No U.S. puppet regime! We want freedom!" the crowd chanted as it smashed windows, furniture and the Saddam portraits. The scene was similar to television images from Baghdad in recent days showing Iraqis storming government and ruling party offices and destroying other symbols of Saddam and his regime.

About 40 minutes after the crowd broke in, police reinforcements arrived and sealed the embassy compound in northern Tehran. Some of those arrested flashed the victory sign as they were being driven away.

Police officers prevented the crowd of Iraqis from leaving the embassy and confiscated documents. Police also closed streets around the diplomatic mission.

"We are destroying some properties at the embassy because they represent evil," said one of the Iraqis, Adibeh Tabrizi. "We will take care of the building and we will not damage it, but we are destroying any sign of the criminal regime."

Another Iraqi, Rana Ashia, had tears in her eyes as she ripped up pictures of Saddam inside the embassy.

"Two of my brothers have been in Iraqi jails for 23 years. Today is the biggest victory of the century for us, to see the criminal Saddam Hussein and his regime collapsing," she said.

At other Iraqi embassies, diplomats have been seen burning documents since it became clear Wednesday that Saddam had lost control of his capital. Iraqi diplomats have been accused of gathering intelligence on Iraqi citizens living abroad and even plotting attacks on Iraqi dissidents.

There are about 200,000 Iraqis living in Iran, many of them Shiite Muslims who fled after a failed Shiite uprising against Saddam in 1991 at the end of the Gulf War. Tens of thousands of the Iraqis in Iran live in the capital.

Wednesday, about 60 members of an Iraqi opposition group took over the Iraqi interest section at the Jordanian Embassy in London. Scotland Yard said those demonstrators were quickly cleared from the building, and police arrested two dozen people for offenses including criminal damage.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

This is a very important issue. The Iraqis are not uneducated tribesmen that will gladly accept another junta or oligarchy the way the Afghans did. They want a real, legitamite government, and they want it quickly. It's time to see if the US will actually help to set up a government (and not a joke like the Karzai regime) or will just throw in one of their pocket candidates and belly up to the oil bar.

If the Iraqis want democracy they are basically on their own to find it. There are no Arab democracies anywhere else on earth.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Qatar...look it up. It is as democratic as it can get. They even started Al-Jazerra. They are the most forward country in that region.

The US got to Baghdad the day before yesterday. Give them a few days to at least stop the looting.

Sheesh

• freeman
    freeman
    If the Iraqis want democracy they are basically on their own to find it. There are no Arab democracies anywhere else on earth.

Pardon my ignorance, but I was wondering, do the people in Turkey who voted not to allow the US troops use their land count as an Arab democracy, or is that something different?

Freeman

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

Freeman: Turks are not Arab. Turks historically haven't gotten along well with Arabs, esp. since the Ottoman Empire dominated a lot of arab lands for centuries.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

Teenyuck. I did look it up. Look it up for yourself.

Government type:

traditional monarchy

This came from the CIA World Factbook at

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/qa.html

Just because a country has a benevolent despot who allows AlJazeera and other goodies, does not make it a democracy.
  • teenyuck
    teenyuck
    Just because a country has a benevolent despot who allows AlJazeera and other goodies, does not make it a democracy.
    Recap: March 9, 7 p.m.

QATAR – Ed Bradley visits the formerly traditional Persian Gulf country that is rapidly becoming one of the most progressive in the region.

According to 60 Minutes Ed Bradley (I know, I know, he is a right wing nut who only pushes the White House agenda), it is a blossoming democracy. The unemployment rate is less than 3%. The income of everyone there is on par with the western world. Literacy is crucial. The king has started a program for everyone to be college educated. He realizes that his country cannot move forward without education. Even girls. Women vote and hold office. He is pushing that the country move towards an elected government. Even if it means losing power.

However, that is according to a TV show that is known for telling falsehoods and lies.

I guess I will go back to being a skeptic and not believe anything I read or see.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

The CIA World factbook is actually pretty reliable. Wow, a case where you can trust the government. Qatar is not a democracy, and is nowhere near close to being one. It's not even a constitutional monarchy.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Elsewhere, I suggest you re-read paragraph four of the press item; these expatriate Iraqis are not supporters of Saddam.

• freeman
    freeman

Gitasat, I always thought that in the technical sense only members of the Semitic people of the Arabian peninsula could be considered Arab, however in the context of colloquial speech, many more people consider themselves Arab, even those not indigenous to the Arabian peninsula.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit