Standing for flag/anthem prohibition; new light...

by Skimmer 16 Replies latest jw friends

• gotcha
    gotcha

i think that gesture is also called salute........i dunno

• eyes_opened
    eyes_opened

When I think back on school and the pledge, I can honestly say now that I know the pledge as well as all those kids who stood or put their hands on their chests. It's so ridiculous to single a child out for extra ridicule from their peers on such on such a point. As if a child even understands or cares about nationalism. As I stated earlier, if they (Jehovah's Witnesses) want their children to be completely seperate, give the kids earplugs to so he or she won't hear the dreaded dangerous PLEDGE! Cause I sure the heck had that sucker memorized and it didn't matter a flying fig where the sam hill my hand was or where my fanny was planted THe dang pharisee's anyway! <Indignation abounding!!!> lol

Eyes

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Hi ofcmad!!!!

I love a woman in uniform!!!! hehehe

I had to sit for the first few years of school, then it switched where I could stand. This was the 80's.

. o O (slipnslidemaster)

• LDH
    LDH

Well, this was the deal where I'm from, and I know this was pretty common... Whether you STOOD or SAT depended on what the rest of the crowd did.

If your class actually stood and said the pledge of allegiance, you should just stand and say nothing.

If, however, your 'teacher' or someone on the PA (intercom system) said the pledge and the students in your class just stood, then you were to sit.

Whatever the level of the class's involvement, you were to be involved one level lower.

What a trip.

• TR
    TR

Hi, ofcmad.

That's really weird that there are different responses

That's JW 'unity' for you.[8>]

TR

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

It seems that there has not been a consistent policy on standing for the national flag or anthem. (Not a big surprise.)

Can anyone accurately give the current WTBTS stance? It appears that standing is okay, but saluting, pledging, and singing is out.

• Mulan
    Mulan

My family became JW's in 1950, when I was 5, so it's all I ever knew. In school, we could ALWAYS stand for the flag salute. I can't imagine where that person lived, where it was a disfellowshipping offense to stand for that!! We were told TO stand as a sign of respect but NOT to do the idolatry thing and salute it. Not to stand would have been a sign of disrespect. But, we had to promptly SIT if they played the National anthem afterwards, like at a HS graduation or something like that, sports, etc. That was changed in the late 60's or 70's. My cousin graduated High School in 1961, and there were two other JW's in her class of over 500. You could see all of them as they sat down, when the National anthem was played. They had all agreed on how they would do it ahead of time too, so at least they weren't alone, although scattered throughout the 500. As I recall, my brother stood, because he wouldn't be different. That was in 1958. No one cared. No one reported him. It was sure a different organization back then.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit