Standing for flag/anthem prohibition; new light...

by Skimmer 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

In recent years we have seen WTBTS "new light" that has eliminated the prohibitions on alternative service, voting, and (perhaps) carrying certain types of identity cards.

Given that the practices of standing for the national flag or standing during the playing of the national anthem have been condemned in print in the same paragraphs as the above mentioned new light, isn't it about time that standing for the flag/anthem will become a conscience matter?

I would hope so, because not standing for these occasions is more than a little embarrassing for younger people still in school. Standing is merely a sign of respect and honor, and this is clearly allowed by scripture. On the other hand, the WTBTS may want to retain the policy just to help keep make it harder for students to develop "worldly" friends at school.

Of course, the WTBTS has no problem at all respecting and amassing all kinds of national symbols as long as they are the ones printed on the incoming currency.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Skimmer,

When I was in school (1970's), the options explained to me as a young JW was that I could either sit or stand during the flag salute. Some JW kids sat, others stood during the salute. (I stood, not wanting to be TOO different...)

As far as the national anthem, such as at sporting events, the way it was explained was if you were ALREADY standing when the anthem started, you didn't need to take the special action of sitting down. However, if you were sitting down, you had to keep your caboose in the chair. Needless to say, many JW's attending such events would leave for the corridors right before the anthem started, and conveniently arrive back at their seat when the anthem concluded.

Gopher

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

Hello Gopher:

Perhaps there were differences due to time and locale. For the time period in which I was involved, the late 1960s to the early 1970s, it was considered a disfellowshipping offense for a student to stand for the daily school morning flag pledge. Maybe some things have changed since then.

About that time period a close family member was working at one of the local schools which the JWs wanted to rent for an assembly. The JW organizer requested that the flag mounted on the wall be removed. He was told in no uncertain terms that it was going to stay. They rented anyway. I also heard that during the assembly, the custodial staff had to chase away several JWs who had gotten into the basement without authorization. The trespassers had needed somewhere to smoke undetected.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Skimmer,

You said "it was a disfellowshipping offense...to stand for the daily pledge". In our school system, they only held the daily pledge up until 6th grade. I wasn't baptized until I was in 11th grade, so they couldn't have disfellowshipped me, LOL. But being an elder's child, I'm sure I would have been corrected about "standing" if someone got uptight about it.

As far as flags being displayed at halls used for circuit assemblies....quite a common sight around here, as most of our assemblies were held in high-school gymasiums. The flags were always proudly on display, as were posters & signs urging on the school's team to victory. It was all "part of the scenery".

During the 1960's the Minneapolis JW circuit met at the downtown National Guard Armory. As I recall, not only were flags on display there but actual instruments of war.... Interesting things to view during lunch break.

Gopher (always interested in the "scenery" during conventions)

• ofcmad
    ofcmad

That's really weird that there are different responses...My parents instructed me to STAND for the salute to show respect...I wasn't allowed to sit. I attended school in the 80's early 90's. They said that it was in the school brochure ... the blue booklet before the young people ask book. The one that was to be given to all the teachers

• tergiversator
    tergiversator

Hello, ofcmad, and welcome.

I also always stood for the flag salute, and I could swear that's what the blue school brochure says to do. Standing for the national anthem, of course, was out.

I guess this is just one of those things that is set in stone... but different stone, depending on where and when you live. Let's hear it for unity.

• animalmother
    animalmother

I'm new at this kind of thing. why don't you salute?

• animalmother
    animalmother

I guess nobody can give me a answer.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Animalmother,

Have patience at this time of night. The responses come a little slower from us here in the USA or Canada.

The reason we didn't salute the flag as JW's was because of what the WTS taught us. That is, that the flag is a nationalistic emblem, and saluting it would amount to idolatrous worship. This is similar to the Bible account of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego in the book of Daniel. Those 3 refused to bow down to King Nebuchadnezzar's new statue, because it would compromise their worship of Jehovah.

So JW's across the world refuse to salute the flag of their respective nations.

Gopher

• gotcha
    gotcha

hello...here in our country we don't salute the flag but rather we make a gesture(putting your right hand on the upper left chest)...i thought at first that it was really prohibited to stand when the national anthem plays but when i asked one "efficient" jw she told me that it was fine to stand when the national anthem plays as long as u dont do the gesture ...so what is it really...?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit