Truth and Honesty? Why is it only a one-way street??

by stuckinarut2 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Most JWs won't even look at old literature in the original publications obtained at Kingdom Hall libraries or on WT CDs. In those situations, it's not belief that "apostates" have doctored the literature so much as it is fear that the actual literature is as bad as "apostates" say it is.

I think most JWs are actually afraid of what they might find. If they do any thinking (at all) on their own, then they have already encountered issues that were inexplicable to them. Their cognitive dissonance kicks in, they set it aside "on the back burner" and they ignore it until they face another issue. Rinse. Repeat. Thus, they make great efforts to avoid stumbling across another issue they can't explain. It's an uncomfortable feeling. So many (most) JWs have gambled "the farm" on the JW doctrines and they can't/won't face the possibility that they have lost it all. Even if THE END (TM) never comes, they can still always claim it is CLOSE! One day closer than yesterday!

The fact is, they can't handle The Truth About The Truth!

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

It's all very intellectually dishonest and downright disingenuous of them to not address the glaring hypocrisy and holes in their own doctrine when they just LOVE shining a spotlight on their householder's religion when preaching.

• Ding
    Ding

Another analogy is the story of "The Emperor's New Clothes."

Weavers convince the emperor that they have made him a set of new clothes that are invisible to people who are unfit for their positions, stupid, or incompetent.

Not wanting to be seen as unfit, stupid, or incompetent, everyone pretends to see the clothes.

Then a young child blurts out the truth that the emperor isn't wearing anything at all, whereupon the illusion is shattered.

The difference is that in the WT version, the child would be disfellowshiped for apostasy and the illusion would grow even stronger.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@Ding I ALWAYS think of The Emperor's New Clothes when I'm suckered into buying another high end makeup product even when I can't see the difference it's making on my skin. I stare at my reflection in the department store's mirror and feel foolish when the clerk tells me "how big a difference" she can see in my complexion. Not wanting to be "missing something", I quickly drop another hundred dollars and walk out with yet another product with "invisible" results. Wtf? Maybe a key product ingredient is parousia. Lol.

I can see how it applies to WT's stark naked lies! Out of the mouth of babes, we apostates call BS for what it is. I once heard that there are only two types of people in the world who are unapologetically candid: children... and drunks.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Ding - "...In those situations, it's not belief that 'apostates' have doctored the literature so much as it is fear that the actual literature is as bad as 'apostates' say it is. Of course, they can't admit that even to themselves."

Nailed it.

Deep down, the real reason that loyal JWs avoid "apostate" stuff isn't because they think it's wrong.

It's because they're afraid it's right.

Know how I know?

'Cause that was me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit