Truth and Honesty? Why is it only a one-way street??

by stuckinarut2 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

stuckinarut2 - "Why is the Society not truthful and honest with witnesses?"

A rarely mentioned but cornerstone aspect of conservative ideology is the belief that deep down, people are fundamentally bad, and therefore cannot be trusted to behave themselves, even if they have all the facts.

And of course the WT leadership would view the rank and file that way...

...they know how shady and dishonest they themselves are, after all.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

It is a one way street BUT there is one thing WT can't change....THE INTERNET! The internet is exposing all those dirty little secrets and lies and the rank and file are finding them. The internet is poking more holes in WT and people are walking away. The most blind, those stuck in for family and the socialization that WT members receive will keep the others in. The question you have to ask is how many PIMO people are there in WT land. I think there are more than we know.

• sir82
    sir82

Honesty is for "you guys", the rank & file peons.

The WTS values "unity" (well, their concept of it) above (literally) all else.

Seriously - in their view, it is better to be loyal (to the organization, of course) than to be truthful.

They seriously think that God authorizes them to lie, to obfuscate, to conceal - all to preserve "unity".

It's a combination of hubris and stupidity that is breathtaking.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I believe someone once called them "...liars for the Truth..."

Once again, for the newbies, lurkers, and trolls...

...if you have to cheat to defend your beliefs, your beliefs don't deserve to be defended.

• Ding
    Ding

Theocratic War Strategy

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

It's the same as politics......the sheeple follow and the politicians bleed them dry.

Joho - "that was the brothers and sisters back then being stupid and not listening to the society."

Your friend should talk to me. Yes, we were stupid, we believed what the cult leaders told us. I lived through the lies of 1975. It was a one way street, you either agreed 1975 was Armageddon(tm) or you were seen as 'spiritually weak(tm)' I bet your friend hasn't seen the publications around that time. JWFacts.com has snippets proving the jobos were forced to believe 1975 was the end.

Welcome to the forum btw. I'm very infrequent here now.....can't be arsed....moved on.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

My uber elder brother still regrets the day he uttered those very telling words to me while trying to indoctrinate me into the lying cult of Jehovah's Witnesses.

He said' We call it "lying for the Truth" ' The implications and weight of those words hung heavy to all but him. Now it is called 'theocratic warfare' Disgraceful is the nicest thing you could say about such a thing.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@punkofnice There's no WAY that friend of mine will even look at old literature from the society for the fear and paranoia WT as instilled upon her that "old literature gets doctored all the time by apostates". The society really has its bases covered. Disgusting liars.

• Ding
    Ding

Wake Me Up,

Most JWs won't even look at old literature in the original publications obtained at Kingdom Hall libraries or on WT CDs. In those situations, it's not belief that "apostates" have doctored the literature so much as it is fear that the actual literature is as bad as "apostates" say it is. Of course, they can't admit that even to themselves.

It's kind of like the moment in The Wizard of Oz when Toto pulls back the curtain and reveals that the Wizard is just an ordinary man manipulating levers. But in the WT version, instead of acknowledging that the Wizard is a fraud, the response is to blame Toto.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@Ding - blame Toto! I've never heard that parallel before. All I've heard is the seven old men flailing about behind the curtain analogy. But the blaming of "apostates" likened to Toto is a whole new level of comparison. Yes! Bad doggy. Now let's put that apostate down like the diseased dog it is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit