The lord of the rings

by BlackWolf 34 Replies latest social entertainment

• Warren Wilson
    Warren Wilson
    Yeah,Rosemary's Baby is way creepier than The Exorcist.
  • dubstepped
    dubstepped
    I'm with ya Black Wolf. I'm 38, my wife 35, and she's wanted to see LOTR and The Hobbit since they came out but we were always ultra conservative as we both grew up in really strict families/congregations. We just watched all of them recently and they were awesome. Good for you! I'd worry about the demons but apparently Satan already got both of us according to my wife's family when we decided to start speaking to my DF'ed brother after 10 years according.
  • BlackWolf
    BlackWolf
    I will definitely read Lotr!! I saw the first twilight movie and im not impressed but i do like interview with the vampire. I'm still a bit scared to watch the exorcist though lol. I've seen some other horror movies but the whole demonic possession thing still creeps me out 0_0
  • inbetween
    inbetween

Even in my days of full indoctrination I watched all LOTR ( the first one even 3 times in the cinema, when it came out). Bought the dvds extended version. Up to this day, my wife and me watch it every winter again.

Bunch of brothers watched and loved it,

However, they more andmore kept it silent. I know several brothers today who watched it and keep it silent for fear or counseling.

Its soo stupid actually, especially when you realize how much paralelles to bible (and of course lots of other mythology) is in there, and good fights evil, something all witnesses believe in right ?

• Simon
    Simon
    I've seen some other horror movies but the whole demonic possession thing still creeps me out

When we watched some of the classic horror movies it turns out we'd seen so many spoofs of them that they just weren't that scary.

We did get totally creeped out watching "the others" though, just well-done suspense. The Ring made you jump as well.

Twilight isn't the worst movie ever. Apparently the 50 Shades of Grey story was based on the un-story of Twilight. Together they are the 2 worst movies ever. We finally watched it last week... all the way through I was hoping they would die in a car crash, then a plane crash, then a helicopter crash, or a elevator crash ... just anything to make it end. Utter, utter drivel. Emmerdale Farm was sexier.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I read the LOTR trilogy and the Hobbit back in high school, which was probably before a lot of you were born. For some reason I never saw the last LOTR, I'll have to remedy that.

The exorcism was very scary to me, but it's been a long time since I've seen it and I was a JW at the time so that was probably part of it. I only saw Rosemary's baby a few years ago and it was actually quite good and far better than a lot of the current movies of this type. The shinning is also very good. I've been to the Stanly Hotel in Estes Park Colorado, which inspired the hotel in the book, Steven King stayed there while writing it.

It's kind of fun to do things that were once forbidden, isn't it? I've even had my fortune done, because it was such a major taboo, sort of exorcising those demons, so to say. The fortune teller managed to get a lot of things right, but she was obviously just good at picking up clues by my body language. She actually gave me some good advice, it was fifteen bucks well spent. Absolutely nothing happened of course, because there is no such things as demons. Interested to try a Ouija board, just for fun.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

The last movie I watched with my Dad before he passed away was the extended Return of the King. Despite the fact that he was a loyal JW, I think he felt okay about watching the series because an elder relative had it in his DVD collection.

He would have really enjoyed the Hobbit trilogy, I think.

PJ's Smaug FTW.

• Question_Mans_interpretation
    Question_Mans_interpretation

Geez everybody let's remember this is a 16 year old girl, let's not get too liberal in our recommendations. The exorcist, really? Even though I'm not a jw anymore some of the ghost and demonic movies now a days creep me out and bug my conscience.

• DJS
    DJS

Blackwolf,

I echo those who state that you may want to read Tolkien's books. I've read the Hobbit, the Trilogy and the prequel. They require a commitment; they aren't Harry Potter. Although both transfer to the big screen in mystical fashion, Harry Potter is a child's read. Tolkien's books are not.

Moreover, Tolkien influenced culture in an amazingly high manner. Google it. A lot of the video games, movies, tv dramas, books, etc. that have been produced the past half century owe a lot of their inspiration to Tolkien. A number of rock groups (Rush, Led Zeppelin, Beatles) wrote songs inspired by or directly about Tolkien's Middle Earth world. Tolkien inspired Lucas, Spielberg and others.

Some people think Tolkien gets too much credit. I don't. He was a 20th Century icon. Go for it Blackwolf!!

• Heaven
    Heaven

Same here LisaRose. I read the books when I was a kid and loved them!

While some have whinged on about the addition of the she-elf "Tauriel" in The Hobbit movies, I loved her character. She reminds me of me. Now I want to learn archery.

I have a replica of Aragorn's elvish knife and scabbard. It is very cool.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit