I'm stressed

by shera 28 Replies latest jw friends

• DJ
    DJ

((((((((shera))))))))
    I had no idea. I hope that you do call ALL of the places that Spice was to kind to post. Please let us know if you find something or not. Persistence is key. I was wondering if in Canada you can write to whomever is equivalent to a congressman in the US? That may be a thought. Also, the media can be helpful, even just a newspaper story would bring some attention to your story and perhaps send you in the proper direction for help. Try calling a newspaper and asking them to run your story. I wish that I could say more. Love, dj

• acsot
    acsot

((Shera))

I didn't know you had an autistic son and such health problems yourself! Please try and take care of yourself, even if it's just a half hour bubble bath or something like that so that you can unwind. Is there a support group affiliated with any of the hospitals - are you in Halifax? I know there's not much (of anything) in Cape Breton, I hope you're in a larger community. DJ had some good suggestions also.

I'm too far away (a few provinces removed from Nova Scotia) to be able to do anything, but you can e-mail me if you need to vent. It'll be in your in-box here on the forum.

(((hugs)))

• rocketman
    rocketman

(((((((((Shera))))))) I hope things improve for you soon!

• nowisee
    nowisee

dear shera,

there is not much that i can add to what has been said before....please know that we are thinking of you and feeling for you. sometimes that seems so inadequate to say, but it is true.

i will keep you in my prayers,

much love, nowisee

• Hamas
    Hamas

Hey Shera I feel for you I really do , but please dont give up on yourself. Give your problems the middle finger, and take your time.

Maybe even smoke weed if it helps

• Kaethra
    Kaethra

Oh Shera! I'm so sorry that you're going through all of this. It must be so hard for you.

Our government-sponsored HMO can be a real b#*&ch sometimes, can't it? Have you tried calling the Department of Health and complaining? (You'd have to do this about a hundred times before you will get a response, but you just may get somewhere.) Perhaps if you could detail to them the kind of assistance you are looking for, (maybe a comparison of the services that would be available to you if you lived out west), that may help. What about your health plan at work? Any assistance there?

(((Hugs)))

K

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

(((((((((Shera)))))))))

I just want to give you a hug.......I know you will do what best for you, your son and your family. Your an incredible lady, hang tough!

Katie

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Shera, I didn't know about all the extra problems you have in caring for your son (as if you didn't have enough to handle already.)

I certainly hope that you can find someone in one of those agencies that Spice posted. Just a word of advice....keep trying. Call places that may not seem to be "exactly" what you're looking for. Sometimes, there might be a person there who is empathetic and who can pull a few strings for you with people they know.

Although my daughter is not autistic, she does have a severe anxiety disorder and has finally been able to go on disability and get help. Initially, however, I felt as if I was beating my head against a wall. I called all of the "regular" agencies that were set up to help people in this situation, and they would either not call back or put us on a waiting list.....and we would wait....and wait.

While going through the process to get her on disability, a doctor gave her several coupons to get medication that was helping her condition while we waited for things to get official. After months of calling and waiting and hoping, her coupons ran out, and the doctor would not prescribe more.

She began having severe withdrawal symptoms without the medication, and I was in a panic calling everywhere I could think of to get help. Nothing...nothing....nothing. I finally called a small hospital to ask for any sort of referrals they could give me to help her. The nurse who took my call said that her facility couldn't do anything, but that she would contact the appropriate agencies (ones I had already called, btw) and put pressure on them to help. Within a couple of hours, my daughter had an appointment with a therapist and a medical doctor, and a temporary prescription for her medication to last until she was officially evaluated.

I had been trying to get things done for over a year with no results...and one knowledgeable and empathic individual was able to cut through all the red tape for us.

Don't give up. Keep calling.....keep pressuring.....whine, scream and moan if you have to.

****HUGS****

• shera
    shera

Thankyou ALL,you sweet thangs you. Your responding to me,helps a great deal and all your comments I will take into condiseration.

((((RED))))

Hamus,thankyou for the laugh.

I had a visiter and he is doing a lot to give me breaks,with professionals.I said I won't take anyone who doesn't know w hat they are doing.As well,he made a referal with the childrens hospital,to give me more help in that part.They may as well take Matthew for short stays and help break some of his habits.

I'm going to take a leave of absecne from work and stay at home and try to get things going for him.Next week is going to be busy,that is fine as long as my boy get what he needs.

Love and hugs to you all

• Witch Child
    Witch Child

Shera, man, Honey I am so sorry you are really going through it! I too have an autistic child. He is what they call "High Functioning" so I am not dealing with exactly the same things you are. I wish I could offer you some help... I don't know much about autism. With my son his problems are all social. He is aggressive and combative, overly-stubborn and almost charmless when he's having a bad day. (He is incredibly sweet sometimes) His problems are greatly exacerbated by being forces to attend meetings at the KH and out in service. (his dad is a JW) He is currently suffering horribly and I am fighting to try and give him as normal a life as possible. I really hope things work out for you and your son. Hang in there and know that all of us on the board really do care. ~Witch

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit