$15.00 minimum wage

by hoser 30 Replies latest jw friends

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

It will create more pressure on inflation. We are heading in a very bad direction. Can you Say Wiemar republic.

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

I don't know what the minimum wage should be but I feel like if your business model doesn't allow you to pay a decent wage maybe you need a new business model.

Also the minimum wage discussion needs to include a discussion about affordable healthcare. A couple years ago I had surgery. The surgeon's bill for 3-4 hour of surgery was over $20,000, insurance knocked down to $4000. Keep in mind this was just the surgeon. The hospital got their cut as well as the anesthesiologist physical therapy, follow up visits etc.... If I didn't have insurance I would have been toast no matter what kind of job I was working.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@mynameislame:

What is a "decent" wage? Also, who decides if business models are "good" or "bad"?

For example, I'm sure Walmart wouldn't mind raising their lowest wage to $30/hr as long as you are willing to also allow them to cut their staff and raise prices. Do you think it's "good" if this occurs?

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

I think why this has come forward by J Biden is because they see some States only have a minimum wage of $7.25 .

Thats quite low and I hate to think what would that be like to live off

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

If a 40 hour a week job's salary is low enough for an employee to qualify for tax payer funded assistance for food, housing, and medical insurance there is a problem. Conversely, tax payer funded assistance should not be so high paying as that able bodied people are willing to sit at home and live off the tax payers' labor. That is what the U.S. is experiencing right now.

There are people in the U.S. who were laid off due to COVID-19. Their unemployment check combined with the Federal unemployment assistance is more than their full time wage before COVID-19. Regulations requiring unemployed persons to both look for work or return to their old job were not enforced as it was deemed a health risk due to COVID-19.

Where I live there is a "Now Hiring" sign in the window of every retailer and restaurant. Wait times for service at grocery stores and restaurants are unreal. Going through the drive through at a fast food restaurant is pointless as every driver is told to park and wait for their order. Customers who purchase groceries for online for curbside pick up are waiting over 2 hours out in the parking lot for their groceries. One major grocery decided to go ahead and just start pay $15.00 an hour starting wage even though minimum wage is $7.25.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

Again, it comes back to prices. Where do they come from? What information do prices contain?

If a small diner, for example, in a small town advertises a job for $7.25, why is there this assumption that it could be $15 of only the owner weren't so greedy? It more likely that the job pays 7.25 because that's all that can be paid for that job, and if it's forced to $15, something has got to give. The owner can't lose money, or else the diner eases to exist. So, prices will rise, or the position will be eliminated entirely. If prices must rise to a point where the revenue drops (the coffee is now too expensive), it collapses. But, I guess that small diner wasn't "good enough" to exist?

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard
    One major grocery decided to go ahead and just start pay $15.00 an hour starting wage even though minimum wage is $7.25.

I bet you will find that most people make over the minimum wage. My question here is, what was the grocer paying before, 14.75 (even though the minimum wage was 7.25)?

More importantly, why do you suppose that anyone would make over the minimum wage?

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known
    I bet you will find that most people make over the minimum wage. My question here is, what was the grocer paying before, 14.75 (even though the minimum wage was 7.25)?

$10.50 and hour was the starting wage.

I think what it comes down to is pricing. Pricing in driving main street out of business and only Wall Street can be profitable. The restaurant business is just one example of this. You can drive overhead down by getting a bulk discount on supplies.

I remember when I was in high school all the local comic book shops worked together to get their overhead down. In the U.S., all comics are purchased from the same distributor. The bigger the order, the lower the cost per issue. When 5 stores located in 2 neighboring cities put in one order to the distributor the started saving money and that kept their doors open.

• Simon
    Simon

It's not the role of government to tell companies how much someone is worth, that is the job of the market.

The real minimum wage is $0 - if you try to force companies to pay someone who is only worth $10 to them, $15 instead, they will be fired and / or replaced by robots.

Raising the minimum wage raises inflation and prices - the poor will never earn more in real terms even if the numeric value of their pay denomination goes up, as all the things they want and need to spend that money on (assuming they keep their job) will also go up.

At a time when stimulation the economy and improving employment is most needed, putting further limits on employers and making it harder for them to keep staff is simply idiotic.

It also doesn't factor in location - $15 per hour in NY could be nothing, but significant in some small town in the middle of nowhere. Why have one-size-fits-all when it clearly doesn't?

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

I'm against raising the minimum because it does nothing. It raises everything to the next level and we are where we are at now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit