The Next Vietnam?

by dubla 22 Replies latest social current

• dubla
    dubla

ive noticed many posters have predicted this war in iraq to possibly be the next vietnam, and actually one poster (trauma hound) said to mark his words that this would in fact be vietnam all over again. im just wondering, do these same posters still feel this way, with this weeks progress into baghdad? no doubt there is still more fighting to take place, more lives will be lost, and im not declaring a coalition victory/"all is well" just yet.....but.....it sure doesnt seem to be shaping up as a battle that lasts years, and no victor emerges, does it? is this still going to somehow turn into a quagmire like vietnam? are there pockets of resistance hiding in baghdad, capable of dragging this thing out for years?

aa

• dubla
    dubla

why am i not surprised about the lack of responses here? where has all the criticism of the u.s./u.k. war plan gone?

aa

• berten
    berten

What if US-occupied Iraq is just the starting ground for more wars with the neighbouring countries?

Because this way it really could go on for years...

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Hard to say, dub. I think, as heathen pointed out, that G.W. will be putting up a bronze statue so the people of Iraqi will know that the US is there to take over, take all their oil, force christianity on them, force western culture on them (who knows; they might like cowboy boots--) and take away all Iraqi relics.

I am sure it will be another Vietnam. Just like TH said. I believe everything he says. He knows everything. He is the most articulate poster on the board.

I have printed out his wisdoms and posted them on my wall; I like to be inspired.

• dubla
    dubla

berten-

yeah, what if? great question, but i was hoping to get some responses on the actual topic here, which is whether or not the war in IRAQ will turn into another vietnam. maybe you didnt see or participate in all the criticism of the war plan.?. obviously that criticism has been suddenly and swiftly put to rest....wouldnt you agree?

aa

• Realist
    Realist

dubla,

i think you know my standpoint already but just to bttt this topic

imo it was very clear from the beginning that the arabs wouldn'T have the slightest chance. i thought they wouln't be able to shoot down a single US plane...well i was wrong... they actually shot down two...wow

so its more than clear that they pose no threat to the US army. the worst thing that can happen are a couple of suicide attacks. and thats about it.

and if the US decides to attack syria next it will go the same way.

• berten
    berten

From what I've heard,the northern parts of Iraq are not taken over yet.If the US/UK is only interested in Baghdad

and they manage to keep it safe from the remaining Iraqi forces and also make it a safe place to live in again then

I would agree,but there are too many "If"'s...

• Satanus
    Satanus

The war has taken longer than i thought it would. However, i doubt that it will turn into a vietnam.

A few other countries, including china, are gearing up militarily for obvious reasons. It's not clear exactly where what the us military action has set in motion will end up.

SS

• teenyuck
  • heathen
    heathen

What I said on elsewheres thread was it would kill me if they did put up a statue of george w . They did interview some Iraqie civilians in the kurdish part of northern Iraq that were hiding in a cave who had even named their children after george w and dick chenney . I chuckeled at that .

SS -- That's a good point . They already had concerns about north korea who at this point are in serious economic trouble but do have a more modern military than saddaam had . The chinese are just as guilty as saddaam as far as human rights go but the US has done nothing but instead make them most favored nation . It wouldn't surprise me either if this is only the beginning to a global assault by the US .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit