Then & Now

by RAYZORBLADE 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

I think this post may be an absolute: no brainer

But, I am going to ask it anyways.

Personally, when I was an active naive JW, I studied the bible and could rattle scriptures off, left right and centre. Real good fundie.

For almost 8 years, I was associated and active as a JW to some capacity.

There were times that despite my perceived knowledge of scripture (according to the WTBTS) would cause me some great mental anguish.

For you who read this thread. How many of you still believe in the bible?

How many of you have moved away from it?

How many of you, cannot debate scripture/doctrine? (post-JW)

How many of you, still actively hold the bible as divinely inspired?

For me, I obviously moved away from it. I cannot rattle off scriptures anymore, probably because I don't believe in the bible (personally).

There is great value however, that those of you who frequent on here: DO

How so? I guess it's like stating the obvious. There'll always be people venturing in here looking to either challenge, or ask important questions related to WTBTS doctrine and teaching. I have seen on numerous occasions, members of this forum, debate beautifully with those who are either questioning scriptural references, and/or the WTBTS teachings on a given topic.

I admire and respect it. It's just odd, in retrospect, that something I once felt so deeply passionate towards; (I could memorize scriptures like a mantra) has left me practically void of scriptural references, and biblical passages, thus excluding me from on-line debate.

How many of you have thought this way, or at least, know where the hell I'm coming from?

I'm sure many of you do. Many thoughts going through my head at this moment.

Thanks to anyone who cares to share.

• Simon
    Simon

I think that when you step back and look at it objectively it has so many flaws that it obviously isn't inspired anymore than the works of shakespear or homers illiad

There are some goods bits that make sense - it wouldl have to make some sense to have lasted so long, but overall I don't think it's worth dying for or following as vehemently as some people do at the expense of friends and family.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Well I was a dub for 18 years and the fact was I couldnt locate any scripture passage except Matthew 24 verse14. The book just didnt interest me at all. Nothing about the religion interested me mentally, i was just doing it all because i didnt want to die, and it was always a question of how little I could do and still have a vague chance of survival when Gods wrath was unleashed.

Ive learnt more of the Bible and know more scriptures since leaving than i ever knew as a dub.

• onacruse
    onacruse

I definitely still believe in the inspiration of some of what has become classified as "the Bible," but not that just because it's in the Bible it must be inspired...or that the Bible is the only inspired writing on the planet.

Actually, I think I'm a "better" debater now than I ever was, because I'm finally looking at the Bible, and life, in an open-minded non-fundie way. At the same time, "winning" a debate, which used to be so important to me as a JW, now really doesn't matter.

Craig

• berylblue
    berylblue

I am honestly not sure....

Rosemarie

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Good Morning Ray.

Interesting topic. I've pretty well put the bible away. Too convoluted for me. After questioning, then leaving the org, I have carried that mindest to just about everything I had staunch beliefs in.

There is some value in the book, but when I try and reconcile that the history in the bible was controlled, then recorded via a god of love, it just dosen't wash with me. Other posters here have gone into some depth about how if you consider their viewpoint, isn't this planet in the mess it is because god is indirectly if not directly responsible. Broken promise to Abraham's first born, confusing the languages at Babel, preferrential treatment to the Jews....the list is long.

Within my own family, though I have to be careful. My parents, discuss the bible with my 2 younger ones, especially my son. We got into a heated discussion last summer, with my son in the background, with my parents and I both stating our viewpoints. My son told me a few weeks ago that after that exchange, and before they left to go back home, they took him aside and told him not to listern to me about the bible, and god. I just laughed. They're my parents and I love them, and I am just going to avoid the subject in the future. And as for my son, I'm not worried. He has a sharp mind, and he's not getting the smothering indoctrination I received when I was his age.

Regards dave

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

My interest in the Bible as a piece of ancient literature was peeked after leaving the org. and feeling free to consider the facts and theory that were taboo as a literalist. Like any aborted behavior my ability to recite JW pet verse has faded, but my familiarity with the book as a whole is better than ever. This research has freed me from much of the angst felt by many here who have yet to face the reality that the book is of human origin.

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

With all the scripture twisting done by the JW's, born again fundies, and other religions, it's hard to believe what is true anymore. I personally feel that a lot of the new testament, especially those books written by Paul, are the cause of many of the major differences in today's Christian religion.

Perhaps parts of the bible were inspired at one time. But, how can we be sure that what we are reading today is the actual Bible, rather than what men have twisted up and making us believe that what they created is the truth.

They took a man, killed him, brought him back to life. But instead of Jesus Christ, religion gives us the Frankenstein monster.

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

How many of you still believe in the bible?

- Nope, not really.

How many of you have moved away from it?

- Yep.

How many of you, cannot debate scripture/doctrine? (post-JW)

- I'm starting to forget where things were, but that's mainly coz I always used that bit in the back of the NWT to help me remember.

How many of you, still actively hold the bible as divinely inspired?

- Nope.

• Liberty
    Liberty

Hi Rayzorblade,

I think many of us know where you are coming from. I once would have died for the Bible yet now I think it is utter nonsense. This is not unusual, in fact, it is normal. We all continue to grow intellectually if we are not brainwashed religious/political fanatics. I used to be an ardent Communist after I left the WTB&TS reading everything I could get my hands on about Marxist theory and practice yet over time I have become a Libertarian, the polar opposite of Marxism. Who knows where I will be 20 years from now? I want to keep learning and testing the data I have gathered against reality in order to get a fleeting glimps of the "Truth".

Since I am human and can only see a small portion of the objective truth at any given time, I must constantly struggle to see clearly my place in the Universe. I have also studied Eastern religions looking for insights into myself and the nature of reality. Knowledge is far more important than being totally commited to one idea or philosophy. I never want to be completely sure about anything again because I have proven over and over again to myself that sometimes I made stupid commitments because I did not test my beliefs against the facts hard enough. It is lazy to think that we have found the ultimate truth and that no further study is necessary. Much like science, I think all subjects should be open to debate, criticism, further study, and evidence accumulation. The search for truth is an ongoing process.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit