Is God out there?

by digderidoo 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Greven, some good links.

I guess we're all searching for the truth, i think just now i'll remain agnostic.

Dig

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

I hate to be preachy but perhaps you could become better aquainted with other ideas of god, duty, action and love. Not many westerners take the time to learn about Krishna, but it is well worth the small effort. Here is a copy of Bhagavhad Gita online, which is a 700 vs poem. Not long, really, and shorter then the Bible or a watchtower book:

http://www.gita-society.com/publications/silverbook.htm

• Introspection
    Introspection

Dig, what is God to you outside of a thought or a feeling?

I don't think you need to consider much more outside of this. In any case, that's something you might consider - I probably won't check back to this thread, don't get around to checking messages lately.

• greven
    greven

Hey dig!

I have been an Agnostic too for a while. I went from JW to 'normal' Christian. Then I started doing more research on the bible leading me to Agnosticism and researching even more I became Atheist. Maybe new research will lead me too change my opinion again, who knows?. In each fase I was happy, yet curious and openminded. I think that is the state of mind everybody should adopt.

I wish you well in your quest for truth!

Greven

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

It was said to me once that there are things out there that we are never gonna understand, so why spend your time worrying about them?

I guess the way we were brought up makes us think about the ideas of a god or a creator. The thing i like about Buddhism is the idea that you have a spiritual side that needs to be fulfilled. Also, the idea that if you accept that one day you will die, you will try to have a fulfilled life.

Greven, I can't lean towards the idea of Atheism, because there are so many things that we do not understand in this world. I guess the only way to understand them is to accept the idea of a supernatural. At the same time i cannot lean towards the idea of a God of the bible, this idea has become so twisted into different variations over the years.

I guess the only answer i have for myself at the moment is, 'i don't know'. But its an educated ' don't know ' and not just a blind statement.

Dig

• greven
    greven
    I guess the only answer i have for myself at the moment is, 'i don't know'. But its an educated ' don't know ' and not just a blind statement.

A very well put definition of Agnosticism! I picture agnosticism as a state of balance...the agnostic says that there is something to say for and against both positions ( God exists vs God doesn't exist) but the evidence is circumstantial and not hard enough to warrant a definite conclusion, hence the educated 'I don't know'. It is indeed not a blind statement. Often in science we have to conclude that we don't know. Nice talking to ya!

Greven

• Thunder Rider
    Thunder Rider

I look at it this way. I am an imperfect, cynical, lowly biological organism. I see the things going on in the world and if I had the power I would fix things. I would kill every rapist, drug dealer, molester, murderer, abuser, ect. As a parent I would do and have done whatever I could to keep my "creations" safe. If the "ONE" who created all and has the power to make a difference won't, then something is seriously askew. Perhaps we as a race have so badly dissapointed God, that he has moved on to another project. Maybe somewhere out there a planet exist with a race of perfect humans dwelling in paradise. We may be considered "black sheep" and no longer worthy of the creators attention.

Oh, and don't give me any of that crap about proving the devil a liar. I don't give a damn what people think about me when it comes to keeping my kids safe. Right is right. allowing wickedness to exist and thrive is proof of either disinterest or non-existence.

I have in the past been so upset and disenchanted with this world that I have "cursed God", no lightning no thunderous voice, I'm still here.

I believe one can live a "godly" life even if God is not a part of it.

Thunder

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I have really , really enjoyed this thread. I agree and have thought the same things all of you have said.

I too, just go from believing in God, to thinking he can't exsist because how can he let babies be raped every second of the day? If we are made in God's image, as the Bible says we are, then He would have to feel sickened by these things to, yet he is not stopping it.

I agree with ThunderRider,,,,,, I would stop any and all harm done to my children. Heck if I see an animal suffering , I would put it out of it's misery. I dont buy the prove the devil a liar thing either. Does God love the devil more , to let him exsist to torment those whom His own son, Jesus , died a painful death for? Nothing makes sense to me.

I have to think that the Bible , which is all we really have to go by, other than our own spiritual feelings, is nothing but imperfect man's writings on what THEY THINK God's purposes are.

I know some will say, well when you die and go to Heaven it is so great that what you suffer on earth is made up for. That could be true ,,,,,,,,we suffer 70 years and live the great eteranl life thereafter, but it still doesnt explain how , if God is so caring , so loving he can let babies be raped. If that is God's plan to just let everyone go to Heaven, why can't he at least stop some of the most terrible things, like the rape of infants , not even allow that to happen. He has the power and I don't understand, and I don't think I am being disrespectful to God , to ask why.

• Thunder Rider
    Thunder Rider

Lyin,

I was sure I was going to catch all kinds of flack for my comments. Nice to know I'm not alone in my reasoning.

Thunder

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit