Leave truth - catch AIDS???

by JEMIMAH 25 Replies latest jw friends

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Anyone else hear the experience of the young brother who succumbed to a worldly woman ONE TIME (it might have been a hooker, and perhaps a bachelor party at a strip club -- story varies), and when he woke up in the morning, she had written a message on the mirror with lipstick: WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF AIDS!

???????

I heard that the first time from a very respectable CO who loved to open every talk with a very attention getting illustration or story.

Doc

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

We were told something similar to that DoC....

• brandnew
    brandnew
    That was a music video.....i cant remember the name ....help me out y'all ! !
  • brandnew
    brandnew
    CHASING WATERFALLS.......now who sang it?
  • apostrate
    apostrate

DesirousOfChange,

It's an urban legend. And not just in JW circles. I first heard it back in the 80's from a co-worker and it had nothing to do with JW's.

Just like the infamous urban legend about the woman at the door who saw two angels behind the men claiming to be JW's, they were supposedly killers. Even the Catholics have their own variation of that one!

There once was a time when I would spread these stories around because I believed them all. But my favorite was the one about the two "Sister Paynes". I'm sure you've heard that one!

• jhine
    jhine

Apostate , I haven't heard it , or indeed any of the other stories .

Jan

• jhine
    jhine

Sorry , I got the spelling of your name wrong.

Jan

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Always practice safe reading...

...especially with those sexy, sexy science books.

• sir82
    sir82

when he woke up in the morning, she had written a message on the mirror with lipstick: WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF AIDS!

That one is in my "Big Book of Urban Legends" (yes it is a real book).

I would not be surprised if it is in the Bethel library, and regularly consulted by those who write up talk outlines.

• apostrate
    apostrate

jhine,

Don't worry about the spelling of my name, it's not important.

Okay, first off, I have it backwards regarding woman at the door and the two angels (it's been a long, long time since I've heard this one related).

It was two sisters going door-to-door. They offered a householder (a man) the literature and he respectfully declined. Later on, the police came to the man's door and arrested him. He had killed somebody else who had come to his door and had the dismembered body in his basement. Somehow the police knew about the JW's who had come to his door and asked him why he didn't kill them also. "Are you kidding? There were two huge men standing behind them! I wasn't going to mess with them!" (For JW's, proof of the angels being with them in Field Service).

I heard that one told for years, back in the 70's. I had already come to the conclusion that it was a bunch of twaddle and malarky when an elder publicly denounced it as nonsense at a meeting one night.

The two Sister Paynes! I loved that one! My friends wife (a JW) told it as though she was at the Hall when it happened.

There were two women at the Hall each named Payne. Once at a Watchtower study, the only people to raise their hands to answer a question were each of these sisters. So the elder conducting the study pointed to the back and called on "Sister Payne in the rear!" (Payne=pain, get it?)

I had told that one to many people, non-JW's as well as JW's. Then, one night about 30 years ago I started to tell it to an older sister and she interrupted me. "This isn't the one about "Sister Pain in the rear, is it? That's soooooo old!!"

There is a bunch of others too, but I guess I should start a whole new post!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit