The glass prison

by Normalfulla 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• Normalfulla
    Normalfulla

Cognitive dissonance. A term I came to learn about after waking up as I'm sure many of us here did. I was thinking of how this condition is similar to the proverbial glass prison, how jw are unknowingly confined by the walls of their belief while observing life around them but are truly captives to a concept as Ray put it..

I recalled the last conversation I had with my elder brother and after explaining why I can't believe in the flood for instance because of x.y and z I said "how can you believe something that has been debunked by science and logic?"

He said in a frustrated pissed off tone, "I don't need to prove it happened or didn't, jesus believed it was true so that's good enough for me! "

I found that statement totally absurd...

" There's no walls here see I'm free!" So says the captive from inside their glass prison

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

What a good point you make Nf, regarding Cognitive dissonance and their glass prison .

I can truly relate to that.

However its funny how they are an Old Testament religion that focuses on that GOD and only quote Jesus when it suits them .

As I like to point out, nowhere in the New Testament are Christians told to be witnesses of Jehovah whereas about 20 times in the NT they are told to be witnesses of Jesus Christ .

Which they are not .

• Whynot
    Whynot

We get manipulated into believing that we're a part of something bigger than ourselves and we have "the truth". I remember telling myself this repeatedly each time I was faced with beliefs or situations that were hard to swallow. It's a willingness to ignore logic. I'm glad I finally decided I wasn't going to do that anymore.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Nice post NF!

Yes, they think they are free...but in reality they are trapped.

I posted a pic on Instagram a few weeks back with a picture of JWs at a convention. It had a caption that said

None are more hopelessly enslaved, than those who falsely believe they are free

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
  • truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I wonder how well he would take it if you said there is no evidence outside the Bible that Jesus even existed as written in the Bible?

The worst prisons are the ones with no walls. That's definitely the life of a JW.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Thanks @wake me! Full credit to you for making this excellent pic!

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

At least the 'glass' is rose colored in the jw prison!

just saying!

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

I've been out a while and I still tend to be an observer and not a participant.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    "There's no walls here see I'm free!" So says the captive from inside their glass prison

A sad reality of way too many people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit