hell?!? we'll all be there someday.

by d0rkyd00d 13 Replies latest jw friends

• neyank
    neyank

Hi JWD,
    You are correct in saying "If there is no judgement,no future price to pay,all such repression
    of desire would become meaningless."
    We as a human race need the belief that there will be a judgement for our actions.
    And without some sort of belief in that,anarchy would certainly rule the world.

Just look at the news. What happens when there's a dissaster of some sort
    and people don't think they will get caught breaking the law?
    There's looting, killings,ect.

So yes.People do need to know there will be consequences for our actions.
    And God has said there will be a judgement.
    And it most certainly will happen.

But as far as a fiery hell, we know the Bible speaks of hell as being a place of torment.
    We also know that anytime hell was spoken of, it was in a parrable.
    It was never stated that fiery torture was the punishment God had for humans.
    The Bible says at Rom 6:23, For the wages of sin is death. KJ vers.

I guess we can go round and round on the subject of hell.
    I was born and raised Catholic. I went to Catholic schools. So I'm well aware
    of what hell is supposed to be like. At least to the Catholics.
    But reading the Bible and thinking that God,the perfect being,the One who created all things
    would stoop to the point of torturing imperfect people for screwing up?

Yes. There will be a judgement. But fiery torture isn't it.

neyank

• dark clouds
    dark clouds

reincarnation baby!

this planet already is hell

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

Hell?!?

I was there, then I got df'd

Ven

• outnfree
    outnfree

JWD,
    I like your thinking, and I'm not at all sure about what exactly heaven and hell are/will be. Still trying to sort that out.

neyank,
    This is what the latest Catechism of the Catholic Church, has to say about hell. I think you'll find it's a bit different from the nasty hellfire preached years ago.

Article 633:
    Scripture calls the abode of the dead, to which the dead Christ went down, "hell" -- Sheol in Hebrew or Hades in Greek -- because those who are there are deprived of the vision of God. (Footnote cites Phil. 2:10, Acts 2:24, Tev. 1:18, Eph. 4:9, Ps. 6:6; Ps 88:11-13) Such is the case for all the deal, whether evil or righteous, while they away the redeemer: which does not mean that their lot is identical, as Jesus shows through the parable of the poor man Lazarus who was received into "Abraham's bosom"(footnote cites Ps. 89:49; 1 Sam 28:19; Ezek. 31:17032; Lk 16:22-26): "It is preceisely these holy souls, who awaited their Savior in Abraham's bosom, whom Crhist the Lord delivered when he descended into hell." (footnote cites Roman Catechism I, 6, 3.) Jesus did not descend into hell to deliver the damned, nor to destroy the hell of damnation, but to free the just who had gone before him. (Footnote cites church councils and papal writings, but no scriptures.)

(next article says he rescued all those good ones who predeceased him)

Article 1034:
    Jesus often speaks of "Gehenna," of "the unquenchable fire" reserved for those who in the end of their lives refuse to believe and be converted, where both soul and body can be lost. (Footnote cites Mt. 5:22, 29; 10:28; 13:42, 50; Mk. 9:43-38) Jesus solemnly proclaims that he "will send his angels and they will gather ... all evil doers, and throw them into the furnace of fire," (footnote cites Mt. 13:41-42) and that he will pronounce the condemnation: "Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire!" (Footnote cites Mt. 25:41)

Article 1035:
    The teaching of the Church affirms the existence of hell and its eternity. Immediately after death the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into hell, where they suffer the punishments of hell, "eternal fire." (Footnote cites several "Professions of Faith, and a letter from Paul VI.) The chief punishment of hell is eternal separation from God in whom alone man can possess the life and happiness for which he was created and for which he longs.

So the Catholic Church differentiates "Sheol" from "eternal fire" (and notice the quotes the catechism puts around "eternal fire").

dark clouds,
    If this planet already is hell, why do we want to come back? Or is REINCARNATION hell?

Venice?
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

outnfree

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit