Knight's of Columbus

by gspradling 11 Replies latest jw friends

• gspradling
    gspradling

I have a quick question. Are dubs allowed to go to a Knight's of Columbus building for a wedding reception?

• Gopher
    Gopher

Once here in the Twin Cities, I attended a JW wedding reception in the local "National Guard Armory" building.

I suppose the standards with the Witnesses will vary from area to area, but if they can hold it in such a military place, then why not in a religious hall?

Heck they've even had district conventions on the grounds of Notre Dame, a Catholic University in the state of Indiana, at the Convocation Center (which serves as a basketball arena for the school).

• garybuss
    garybuss

I attended many circuit assemblies in National Guard Armories. In the lobbies were glass cases holding flags and guns and pictures of military icons, men in uniform. On the stage front left were huge American flags left in place. We walked past a huge gun on a trailer to enter the building.

While we met there among the guns and flags and icons, we were told to view that building as we would a Kingdom Hall and Jehovah had entered the building with us and was blessing our meeting.

Monday morning following the assembly, if I had entered that same building, through that same door, past that same gun, past that same glass case filled with guns and flags and pictures of soldiers, and accepted a paycheck from the owners of that building, I would have been disfellowshipped by the same people who had just met there the day before and been shunned by my children and by my parents.

The Way I See it http://www.freeminds.org/buss/buss.htm

• gumby
    gumby
    Are dubs allowed to go to a Knight's of Columbus building for a wedding reception?

The dub ruling on this is the same as attending a wedding or funeral service in a church.

It is left up to the individuals conscience .....with a whole lot of things to consider. You are not allowed to participate in any services however that go against the dubs bibles rules.

Gumby

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

......Gary, how well I too, remember those days!

Ahh, those rules. Kinda makes me laugh inside a bit these days, when I remember how non-sensical it all was.

• gumby
    gumby

Gary....I was going to your site and saw this picture of you and lost ALL respect! You sick little bastard! You have a beard and think anyone here will even listen to you?.....you unclean heathen! Gumby

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

...maybe you could tell the Dubs that they'll get a CARD for the Knights of Columbus LIBRARY if they come to the wedding...

• gspradling
    gspradling

Thanks to everyone that replied to my question. My daughter is getting married in a mainstream church, so I know my mother will not attend her wedding, but I thought there might be a chance she would go to the reception. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

• outnfree
    outnfree

gspradling,

There IS a chance that your mother might attend the reception! In our area, a couple I knew held their reception (with dishes prepared by volunteer sisters and the cake made by a sister, too) at the local Knights of Columbus Hall. ELDERS were there also, en masse.

Same with a wedding reception held at the local Mexican-American club (less odious than a religious groups hall perhaps, but could be considered 'nationalistic', no?).

DO ask her if she would consider attending for her granddaughter's sake.

outnfree

• Dawn
    Dawn

I was married in the Knights of Columbus hall and my parents came - my dad even walked me down the isle and he was an elder at the time. Not sure if the rules are the same everywhere.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit