My mother had a stroke

by acsot 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• acsot
    acsot

Haven't been on the forum much lately, been running back and forth to the hospital. She's getting better now and will probably be able to regain use of her arm and leg, but it's been exhausting and nerve-wracking. I was fortunately there when it happened so got her to the hospital right away.

Anybody have experience with this type of thing? What should I expect when she gets home? We may need social services to come in and help during the day, that'll be assessed before she leaves the hospital.

And you know what, I couldn't help but think how horrid this world would be if everyone was a dub - who'd be the volunteers in the hospitals? Would the WTS set up care facilities for people who have given away their money to them through the years? They're all so freakin' busy with their sales work ! (have to add that several dubs have been to visit her, which she appreciated - we'll see how long that lasts!)

Anyway, I'll be checking in from time to time, maybe posting an occasional reply - I'M SURE GLAD Y'ALL ARE HERE!

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I am so sorry, acsot! Please hug your mom from me and tell her I'm thinking of her and hope she feels better soon. I would say "tell her I'm praying for her" but that always makes a JW uncomfortable, if they're not the ones doing the praying. As for you, please make sure you take care of yourself because if you get too tired you won't be doing yourself or your mom any favors.

Lots of love,

Nina

• outnfree
    outnfree

((((((ascot))))))))),

So sorry to hear your news.

My friend had a stroke like your mum's with one side affected, was in ICU a short time, then into a regular hospital bed and then they moved her to a nursing home for several months while she had rehab. After a while, she was discharged and needed care at home. Her husband set up a rotation of friends to take care of her while he was at work and his son at school during the day. (I had Wednesdays). At first, she had home visits for continued physical therapy (fine motor skills and activities of daily life, with separate therapists). A visiting nurse came to bathe her at first, and she eventually progressed to being able to handle that with a bath stool and hand held shower, walking with the aid of a walker, being able to stand at a counter and cook meals (her passion).

It was very exhausting emotionally and physically for her and the family (and friends). Be sure to take advantage of every single scrap of help your insurance plan and/or your pocketbook can afford you.

I wish you strength and hope your mother has what we used to call "an uncomplaining spirit". It's very tough to be so dependent. It's also tough to be the one depended upon.

Hugs,

outnfree

• BadJerry
    BadJerry

hi Ascot, sorry to hear about your mother.

I just went to www.google.com and typed in stroke victims, hope something there can help you out, In our old neighborhood our neighbors husband had a stroke that left him paralyzed on one side, I never knew he existed for the first 6 months we lived there because he didn't want to go anywhere, not even outside, That is a huge mistake, therapy and socializing would of helped him tremendously.

Your comment on the witnesses not voluntering is so true, even within the congregations it was hard to get anyone to help with those that need it. I recently attended an arranged marriage with a couple from India, and one lady I talked to had just met the bride a week prior, and where did she meet her? Her church organizes help to those who come from another country helping them out anyway they can. How shallow witnesses are to claim they have Love.

from Imanaliento logging on to hubby ID because I can't yet

• blondie
    blondie

I'm so sorry to hear that, acsot. Hard on both of you. When my grandmother had her stroke, we had a family powwow and figured out what was needed to handle the financial issues, the medical issues and the spiritual issues. A schedule and listing was made and everyone had to volunteer for something. We cared for the gaps in care by hiring a registered nurse, the cost was divided amongst all of us. We did not have anyone at the KH volunteer to help even when my mother begged. We worked through a social worker at the hospital who knew all the support groups, financial tips, etc., available in the area. She had lists and lists and worked with us every step of the way. The doctors and the nurses were great at the hospital and the rehab center.

Blondie

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

((ascot)) - but the good news, your Mom's affected side. Thank goodness you were there when the stroke was beginning. You did the right thing, didn't waste a precious second and got her to the hospital.

It's so sweet, you are there for her, helping her out, and giving her 'quality of life'.

Strokes are tough, because people whom are afflicted by them, recover at different speeds, depending upon the severity of the stroke.

It sounds like Mom is going to regain usage of the affected side, but the progress may be slow initially, but with a caring and loving daughter such as yourself, she'll make steady and healthy progress.

Hopefully Scully, if she sees this, may be able to give some practical suggestions.

Best wishes to you Ascot and to MOM .

• els
    els

acsot, I am so sorry to hear about your mom. I hope you are coping OK. Strokes are frightening because you don't know what the long-term effects are going to be. I hope that your mom has a full recovery. My mother-in-law had a series of mini strokes a few years ago. She recovered pretty well physically but it really affected her emotions. It has been hard on Dad because she doesn't want him to be away from her at all. She gets very disturbed if he's gone for more than an hour at a time. She gets weepy and then very angry if we try to distract her or tell her it's OK. I don't mean to scare you, with Mom it's hard to tell how much if the effect of the strokes and how much is because of her age, she'll be 91 this summer. I just think you should be aware that depression and emotional problems sometimes follow a stroke and they can be harder to deal with than the physical problems. Try to take care of yourself and line up the help you need. I'll be thinking of you. els

• gumby
    gumby

Ascot,

So sorry. My dad had a stroke and it got his speech side. People would avoid him because he would try and talk and you couldn't understand him. That would hurt him and people didn't want to deal with his hurt.

Many recover well if they go through therapy as directed. My dad was too stubborn and impatient to do the therapy.

Keep us informed and hang in there.

Gumby

• myself
    myself

((((((Ascot)))))) I hope everything goes well in your mother's recovery, maybe since she was able to receive help right way she will have better hope. I have an uncle who had a stroke. He has recovered pretty well from it. You can still see it in his walk, and he tires easily. He has a wonderful sense of humor, but it isn't what it used to be. He still works and enjoys hunting and taking care of their farm.

• Shakita
    Shakita

ascot:

Sorry to hear about your Mom's stroke. No one in my family has had a stroke, so I really don't have any good advice for you. You sound like a great daughter to be taking care of your Mom so well. Just take care of yourself, too, so you can be of some help to your Mom. I know how physically exhausting it is to look after a parent when they are sick. Hope your Mom is on the road to a quick recovery real soon.

Mrs. Shakita

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit