what would you do if you could live forever and ever and ever?

by Zep 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Zep
    Zep

I think death gives life meaning. For me, life without death and pain seems absurd. Therefore the idea of eternal life seems ridiculous to me.

If I were to live forever, life would become devoid of challenge because I know I would be able to master whatever I wanted to, because I'd have all the time in the world to do it...So where's the challenge in that???? Without challenge, life would be boring. Without the lows in life, the highs in life would cease to have meaning. Without the fear of failure hanging over your head there would be no joy at success.

I think I would become the ultimate procrastinator in paradise. Instead saying things like "I'll do that tommorrow", I'd be saying things like "I'll do that next millenium", knowing I have an infinite amout of time to do whatever I might like to do, and It would be impossible for me to fail at it. This would make life BoRinG and pointless!

• DFWnonJW
    DFWnonJW

Myself, I would learn another 3 chords on guitar bringing the total to ..... 3. Imagine the musical possibilities of 3 chords (strummed, not arpeggiated or anything fancy schmancy).

• onacruse
    onacruse

Realist, insofar as I understand it (and, I'm no theoretical physicist ) the "brane model" is conceptually very similar to the metageometry of, for example, the Russian mathematician Peter Ouspensky (Tertium Organum), and embraces a good many ideas of Riemann, Gauss, and Minkowski. What I find fascinating about such models is that they demonstrate how far we are from having a "firm" comprehension of the nature of the universe, other than to ever more strongly suggest (as even the brane model does) that the fundamental cause of this universe is to be found outside the apparent physical limits of this universe. Of course, these mathematical models do not in themselves address the issue of hyperdimensional sentience (God), but it was clearly the effort of Kant, Pascal, Descartes and other mathematician/physicists-turned-philosophers to meld all these ideas into a coherent understanding of "how we got here and where we go from here." And for every one of these men, the concept of an ever-existing and always-renewing energy of universal life was both a possible, and even necessary, condition. Works for me!

Valis, I did my best to make Katie keep this short, but you know how she is...get her in front of a keyboard and there's no stopping her! LOL

Craig

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Oooooooooo I can't resist bursting a few bubbles

Just who is going to grow our crops and produce our food and clothing? Are we going back to each one doing their own or is there some kind of industry - requiring -- WORKERS!!!!! Yup folks we will have to work an eternity. Eternity still requires necessities - like food and shelter and personally I want my clothes ON.

Do we rotate jobs? get tired of one and go learn another?

Are we perfect or just as screwed up as society is now?

Do we stop having offspring or wind up over-populating the earth?

Do we kill this planet off and just wander off to destroy another?

Personally I think I'd rather not live forever. Maybe longer but not forever even if I had good health. I love learning and would love to have the time to learn all the things I want but like a few others I think after a while - a long while boredom would set in or maybe just complacency. And an eternity of work is just NOT a thrill ------ ya know?

• Realist
    Realist

craig,

Kant, Pascal, Descartes

but they are a little outdated by now

no current physical model sees it as possible that our universe will be inhabitable for all times.

PS: who is Katie?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit