what would you do if you could live forever and ever and ever?

by Zep 34 Replies latest jw friends

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Farks - you should become a wise mystic, playing your piano on a mountaintop somewhere...

I'd like to live forever, but only if I could keep trying to conquer the world.

CZAR

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

How long would it take to tell someone how old you are after you have lived long into eternity?

Answer: An eternity.

Think about it, eventually you wouldn't be able to give your age.

Yeah, I'm 908904149398040134919840395901238951320189023149319028490134101381895903290290210....... years old

pseudo

• onacruse
    onacruse

Farkel, to use a mathematical example:

A series of numbers can be convergent or divergent. In particular, consider a geometric series of n terms:

S=a+ar+ar^2+...+ar^3

If the (absolute) value of "r" ( |r| ) is less than 1, then S approaches a limit as the number of terms is increased indefinitely. In this case the series is said to be convergent. In the analogy, infinitely long life becomes boring.

otoh, if |r| is greater than 1, then S will become infinite (the series is said to be divergent). In the analogy, infinite life becomes ever more interesting.

What is "r"? For the sake of the analogy, it compares to the Einsteinian cosmological factor for either a "closed" or "open" universe. At present, all the physical evidence indicates that we live in an "open" universe; hence, proponents of a "closed" universe search for dark matter, etc.

My long-winded point being: I believe the universe is "open," that "r" is greater than 1, and that the pool of available human experience and knowledge will continue to expand exponentially as time goes on.

Eternal life would never be boring.

Craig

PS: As for 10^10 blowjobs...no comment

• Prisca
    Prisca

Good question Zep (nice to see you back again too)

I certainly wouldn't want to live forever if I had to work forever ie the 9-5 job, going to and from work every day.

But there are so many things I would love to do, and learn - travel, learn various crafts, try new hobbies, read all the books I've always wanted to read, study various subjects etc.

If I had the health, and friends and family to keep me company, then I'd quite happily live forever.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Endless Vacation !

Guest 77

• dmouse
    dmouse

Eternity is a VERY long time.

I would spend a few billion years getting to know everybody really well.

I might breed butterflies and see how long it takes them to wear away a granite mountain by landing on it or brushing it with their wings.

I would then learn how to sign my name at a sub-atomic level and seek out every single atom in the universe and sign my name on it, waiting for the hot ones in stars to die out. After that, well, I've still got eternity ahead so I might start all over again but in chronological order.

How many atoms were there in the universe? Let me count them again, and again and again. Count all the atoms in the universe, a billion times. Experience every conceivable event a hundred billion times each. And still eternity stretches ahead...

Our poor ape brains simply cannot comprehend what eternity would be like.

80-90 years sucks, but being doomed to live for eternity might be even worse. I'm with Farkel on this one, a couple of billion years would do and then be able to choose to become mortal again.

• Realist
    Realist

onacruse,

i am afraid you are mistaken. our universe is after all not endless. it is a limited space. so if we ignore the fact that the universe will be dead in a couple of hundred billion years (no more suns, etc.pp) and say it will remain as it is forever than it is a logical consequence since we have something limited divided by eternity that we would have experienced everything at some point. nothing in the universe is indefinite therefore your assumption can only be wrong.

i would have to agree with the sceptical side and say that to live for all eternity would be the most terrible punishment.

don't forget eternity is a damn long timespan!

by the way a philosophical question...the JWs say that in paradise everyone will be happy. now a lot of unhappiness stems from wanting something....a larger car, a nicer house, the same clothing as the other kids etc.pp.

is it possible to be truly happy if one wants something and can't get it? and further would this mean that people in paradise would have to be completely contempt with what they have? if so they probably would not want to travel, they would not want to achieve anything, they would not want to get children etc.... so if one is completely contempt one would not get bored? or would you?

any thoughts?

• Robdar
    Robdar

so if we ignore the fact that the universe will be dead in a couple of hundred billion years (no more suns, etc.pp)

Realist,

Good point. I even used something similar in one of my psychology papers. But, if it doesn't die, because all things have been altered, I think I could find plenty of stuff to do. And because we were living forever, I could take my time doing them. Besides, by that time, we (meaning I) will have discovered other dimensions and figured out a way to cross over to them. In living forever, we would only be hindered by our own imaginations. It could be a grand time, don't ya know.

Anybody who thinks that they would be bored, call me after the first billion years. I'll find something for you to do.

Think of blow-jobs for a billion years and tell me you won't get bored!

Oh my, Farkel, I so want to respond to that remark and yet want to respect Simon's new order. Nah, I won't send you an email about it either. Hope you are well....Sounds like you are.

Love,

Robyn

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

This question probably goes to the heart of the Dub belief on eternal life. For them, life everlasting (why not life etermal?) is to be spent on a material earth, much like now except that everything would be perfect i.e. you'd have everything you desire. But is that the Christian belief? Is that the hope of Bible-believers? Not from what I've learned.

A Christian's hope is to be with their Lord forevermore, no matter where that might be. Trust the Dubs to put everything in human, material terms.

Cheers, Ozzie

• gumby
    gumby
    And if God wouldn't let me kill myself at the time, then he's a sadist

The penalty for killing yourself is eternal life according to Christians....it just won't be pleasant. Imagine killing yourself...then being brought back to life to pay for the sin of killing yourself

I also think a blow job forever would get boring as most jobs to.....a change would be wanted in time..............................( nah )

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit