1914 'Big A' WT Retraction/Apology?!

by lurkernomore 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• lurkernomore
    lurkernomore

So I just met with an old 'friend' who wanted a 'chat' after no contact for the best part of 4 years. She obviously heard about the wonderful news of my abrupt fade :D

I guess I wanted to prove to myself that any future meet ups/chats with JW's would be pointless. Needless to say I proved myself right. She basically wanted to hear my reasons for leaving from the horses mouth. I kept things very vague but the 1914 Armageddon teaching came up. She seemed to believe there was a retraction/apology in WT publications saying they believed the Big A was due then but obviously this didn't happen so sorry...

Does anyone know of anything published by the WT that comes even close to this, as I sure as hell can't think of any written material that had a retraction or apology???!

This will be the last time I allow myself to get into a discussion about even trivial JW stuff as i have so many more important things to be getting on with. No point in wasting anymore time on the Cult!!!

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Does anyone know of anything published by the WT that comes even close to this, as I sure as hell can't think of any written material that had a retraction or apology???!

HELL NO! They blamed the rank and file for the 1975 debacle, not sure if its in print or not, it might be. But they accused over zealous members for creating that buz. But they never have and never will apologize for anything! They are (in their own world) never wrong! Even when they are, its not wrong, its just... "refined".

• lurkernomore
    lurkernomore

Yeah I know about '75. I remember reading an article where they basically said the R&F got over exited and read too much into stuff put out by the Borg. Couldn't find anything about 1914 during my 6 months of research before abruptly fading with my family.

I think witto's just love to make shit up, my Mum did the same thing when I spoke to her.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    They fill in the blanks with made up stuff that keeps them believing.
  • cappytan
    cappytan
    Why would a spirit directed organization need to apologize for anything? After all, if God's spirit directed them in a certain direction, there is no need to apologize. That's like asking God to apologize for killing all those innocent children in Egypt.
  • FeelingFree
    FeelingFree

Such a waste of time. I was very cross with you lurker for letting your dinner get cold in favour of talking to that "friend". Grrr!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Regarding the 1995 about-face there were no apologies, as far as I'm aware of.

I lived through the 1995 generation change.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Yea 95 was no big deal, I remember small rumblings within about how some people might be stumbled, funny I actually new of one person who had faded for decades who came back because of it. Fail
  • steve2
    steve2

Um, no surprises about her response. Been there, done that!

The problem is not your friend's poor thinking, but your - ahem - poor preparation.

You appear to have assumed she could be open to any discussion about 1914. Wrong.

She is clearly easily able to settle things in her own mind based on what she has been told - and probably half-remembered - by the organization. Her reasoning is, 'The organization apologized, stop going on about it, get over it'.

With that kind of simplistic view, you'd have to wonder about her ability to think critically, anyway.

But beyond that reasonable conclusion, here's a suggestion:

She claimed the organization apologized. Perfect. She's made the claim - she's now expected to back it up. You don't need to scurry around in the background trying to prove it has not apologized. So, here's what you do:

Play dumb:

"Oh, I did not know they apologized! I need to hear this! Would you be so kind as to find the literature that contains the apology over 1914?"

Your job's been done. It's now over to her. You have no further work to do.

If she doesn't get back to her, and if you're able to contact her, jog her memory in a light and respectful manner:

"Hey, friend, I'm looking forward to you showing me where in the literature the organization has actually apologized over 1914. If I've got it wrong, I need to know! Can you suggest a time when we can meet so yuo can show me?"

• wisdomfrombelow
    wisdomfrombelow
    The only thing I know of that might be considered something like that was when they printed that Rutherford admitted he made "an ass of himself" regarding the 1925 resurrection of ancient worthies...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit