Jehovah's Witnesses and Tattoos

by NotFormer 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• careful
    careful

Carla, thanks for the note. Hang in there.

NotFormer, I do not mean to hijack your thread, but I've kept looking for any tattoos with JWDOTorg both on google and bing. I've come up empty but I found some other interesting stuff. Perhaps I'm just ignorant or naive, but I was unaware of some of this stuff. Pretty funny, at least to me, however.

I guess this chap is not a bro. given those arm tats, but Jehovah Java might be a nice name for a Witness coffee shop, eh?

I was not aware of these other shirts. I guess you can get anything put on a tee shirt now.

These, however, really caught my eye. There must be a market for such stuff. There are plenty more. These are just a sample. You can get hats so logoed too.

Then one sees the hostility between JWs and ex-JWs.

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

I know of a sister who was dealt with judicially over a tattoo only a few years ago. It is as serious as the local BOE decides that they want it to be.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

Careful, thanks for searching out and posting those images. Not a fan of tattoos myself so no matter how cool some of them seem, I would never get anything like that done to myself đŸ˜± The t-shirts suggest that the PIMI types are getting bolder than they were 20 years ago, when I still had anything to do with the dubs. I doubt that they would be worn on field service though; it's still suits and ties, isn't it?

The stuff I read online suggested to me that it would be officially considered a "conscience issue", but I guess that privately, people would be judged as "spiritually immature". Thanks Journeyman, for reminding me of that term!

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Do Tattoos Affect Acting Careers?

When you’re starting out in your career, it’s possible your visible tattoos may present obstacles. Casting directors may not want to hire you for certain roles because of production concerns. They may worry that your tattoos will distract the audience. Your tattoos might not fit the character breakdown, and a project may not have the time or budget required to hide your tattoos with makeup. In short, without the prestige of a successful acting career, having visible tattoos is not a deal breaker, but it could limit the roles for which you will be considered.

While more and more people seem to be getting tattoos, their presence and placement on the body can send certain messages. Casting directors may assume that audiences will associate facial tattoos or lower back tattoos with stereotypes. Visual media like film, television, and theater are meant to appeal to as broad an audience as possible, so producers and directors will always consider how a mainstream audience will react

Can a Film Studio Be Sued Over an Actor’s Tattoo?

It’s rare—but it has happened. In 2011, tattoo artist S. Victor Whitmill sued Warner Bros. to stop the release of “The Hangover Part II,” claiming that a scene in which a character has a copy of one of Mike Tyson’s tattoos violated Whitmill’s copyright for the original. Warner Bros. ultimately settled with Whitmill, but the case raised real questions about the rights tattoo artists have to their work when it appears in film.

• jhine
    jhine

I suspect that this issue, like many others, needs to be put into context. However in the particular case of tattoos it might not be possible.

It MAY be that the tattoos mentioned in the Old Testament are to do with the customs and practices of the " pagans " who surrounded the Israelites back then . It was a constant battle to keep the Jews separate from their neighbours and the religions of these people. To keep them Holy and solely fixed on Yahweh.

The Jews may have begun to emulate their neighbours and needed to be reminded where their loyalty should lie .

Jan from Tam.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

When donating plasma the person is asked if they had gotten a tattoo or had one touched up. So there is something not good about tattoos.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

when i was a kid i fancied having a tattoo--but when i see all the riff raff on the planet covered with them im glad i didnt.

• jhine
    jhine

Oh I've never been called riff raff before đŸ€ŁđŸ€ŁđŸ€Ł.

Jan from Tam.

• carla
    carla

"Oh I've never been called riff raff before " - better than in the U.S., tatts on women used to be called tramp stamps.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

Growing up, I was always leary of tattooed people. There's a nurse in the local emergency department (I visit there way too frequently) whose arms are covered in tattoos, but contrary to my childhood fears, she is the sweetest lady you ever met. To be fair, her tattoos are all floral in nature.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit