Did they really live that old?

by JH 39 Replies latest jw friends

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

"How long can a 969 year old man tread water?"....LOL!!...OUTLAW

• acsot
    acsot

Francois:

I think we are intellectual babes in the woods here. Look at it this way. We did not progress through four hundred years of the Newtonian/Cartesian Paradigm only to arrive at the unchangeable NOW. We STILL are taking baby steps in our knowledge of cosmology. And spiritually, well. If we still are worshipping a God who has got to see the blood of a wholly innocent and much-loved son before his tender mercies are forthcoming, we've really got a ways to go before we can claim understand the real nature and character of God.

In the end, I do not for a moment believe that, when all is told, there will be any arguments at all between science and religion. None. How could it be otherwise when the God of religion is also the uncaused cause of philosophy and science?

But, to me, the answer to enhancing spirituality is not to be found in reading about the spiritual journeys of someone else; it is found in the entreaty to "be still and know." To quiet the chatter of the left brain, and to search for, to grapple for, to grovel for, to find and to know the indwelling spirit which is "closer than your own breath" to you. That to me is spirituality, the real thing. Religion is just a social phenomena. No group of men sitting in conference trading opinions and voting can have any meaning to a truly spiritual person. Let them contend. I have the spirit within saying in its quiet, low voice, "this is the way." And so do you, and so does everyone else. It's just a matter of getting still enough and quiet enough and sincere enough to actually hear the leading of this Cosmic Mind.

Thank you. You e<put into words what I've been feeling.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Onacruse, the source you quoted was very interesting, and provides some good food for thought with respect to Chronology of the ancient old dudes. Good thread overall, too.

• rocketman
    rocketman

funkyderek, just read your response to donniedarko's comment, and I must agree. There is no evidence for any of the hypotheses in darko's post. In fairness to you donnie, though, you did not appear to be making a strong assertion, just putting an idea out there for consideration.

• Mulan
    Mulan

No! A friend of ours who is somewhat of an expert on ancient languages feels that either we don't really understand their numbering from back when it was written, or it's meant as allegory. I tend to think allegory.

Another number in dispute among many Bible scholars is the number of people who left Egypt with Moses. The Bible says 600,000 fighting men, also women, children, and elderly people. WT always estimated it to be about 3,000,000. Reader's Digest had a great article about a year ago on that subject. (I lost that issue..............damn) Jews don't take the number literally, evidently. One reason is that when they got to the Jordan River, and were about to cross to take over Jericho, everyone was afraid. They know the population of Jericho was about 20-30,000 back then. There would have been no need to be afraid because they could easily have conquered them with that many people. (40 years later, there were probably several hundered thousand more) So, if it happened, we can say it was a lot of people, not the number the Bible claims.

There was something about when the population of the earth reached 1 million too.............can't recall, so it was unlikely there were that many people in Eqypt 4000 years ago.

• pr_capone
    pr_capone
    God permits LOT to rape his daughters, but fries Lot's wife (she was known merely as "Lot's Wife") for turning around out of curiosity and looking at her town getting screwed by the God who also screwed her up. Lot gets mentioned in Hebrews 11 for being a Good guy. Lot's wife who was such a second class citizen that she never even got her name mentioned in the Bible, is known to be an imfamous bitch who dared challenge God.

I could be wrong but wasnt it Lots daughters who got him drunk and raped him???

Kansas District Overbeer

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Never Mind. I thought this was a thread about the Governing Body.

But when you think about it, some of these guys must be getting up there !

John E. Barr
    Carey W. Barber
    Theodore Jaracz
    Karl F. Kein
    Gerritt Losch
    Milton Henschel
    Albert Schroeder
    Daniel Sydlik
    Samuel herd
    David Splane
    Steve Lett
    Guy Pierce

• Francois
    Francois

That's not what I'm saying, funkyderek. I'm faulting Farkel's fallacious reasoning. My little story to which he objects is just that; my little story. I don't present it as truth; I present it as opinion. And he has used a couple of techniques of argumentation that are fallacious to debunk it: Appeal to Ridicule and Burden of Proof fallacies.

I don't say the bible contains only truth and I don't believe it can be shown that the bible makes that claim for itself; AND I don't claim my arrangement of data in the original story is truth. However ridicule proves nothing, and neither does placing the burden of proof in the wrong place. And, as noted, the ages of those guys at death cannot be proven, nor can much else in the bible, including whether nor not Jesus ever lived, the evidence for which is very, very thin indeed. I feel you can get to "heaven" just as fast and via a more direct route by reading the Bagavhad Gita.

This really is more epistemology than debate. And I think we've wasted 2,000 years attempting to comport the differences between the two "testaments." We'd be better off, IMHO, tossing the Hebrew scriptures because I don't believe they CAN be comported. The two Gods presented in the two testaments are just not the same guy; we're wasting our time arguing about it. Besides, the Greek-Aramaic does not contain fantastic accounts of the fiat creation of earth, stars, oceans, and man; nor other troubling stories designed to tickle the ears of a credulous, primitive, savage group of illiterate bedouins about transactions they could never understand. Who was Melchizedek really, for instance?

Thanks Logans, that was all I really set out to do. Ascot, intuitive feeling is a far better guide than all the councils of the earth. You're onto something good. I hope you stick with it until it reveals itself in all its brilliance.

francois

• Swan
    Swan

Here's my theory. If God needs those angels to stand guard over the entrance to Eden, then he probably wasn't paying attention most of the time. If God is too busy to watch the garden, you can be sure the angels got tired of standing guard all the time too. Watching that spinning sword has got to be very monotonous work. Maybe they dozed of. Maybe they got to thinking about the daughters of men. Maybe when they went into the bushes for a little nooky with the daughters of men, the humans slipped past the flaming swords, went into the garden, and brought out some of the fruit from the tree of life. That night in camp they all had fruit salad for desert. The effects of this particular fruit cocktail was to extend their lives several hundred more years. No wonder God was so pissed when he found out about all of this. He started noticing these Nephlim walking around and the humans just weren't aging like they should have been. He figured out what they did and decided to drown them all, except Noah, who was probably just an innocent baby when they fed him the fruit cup. Methuselah was probably a gluttonous pig who pinched seconds and that is why he lived the longest.

Anyway, that's my theory.

Tammy

• Swan
    Swan

Here's my theory. If God needs those angels to stand guard over the entrance to Eden, then he probably wasn't paying attention most of the time. If God is too busy to watch the garden, you can be sure the angels got tired of standing guard all the time too. Watching that spinning sword has got to be very monotonous work. Maybe they dozed of. Maybe they got to thinking about the daughters of men. Maybe when they went into the bushes for a little nooky with the daughters of men, the humans slipped past the flaming swords, went into the garden, and brought out some of the fruit from the tree of life. That night in camp they all had fruit salad for desert. The effects of this particular fruit cocktail was to extend their lives several hundred more years. No wonder God was so pissed when he found out about all of this. He started noticing these Nephlim walking around and the humans just weren't aging like they should have been. He figured out what they did and decided to drown them all, except Noah, who was probably just an innocent baby when they fed him the fruit cup. Methuselah was probably a gluttonous pig who pinched seconds and that is why he lived the longest.

Anyway, that's my theory.

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit