How to Read Financial Statements

by JeffT 22 Replies latest jw friends

• JeffT
    JeffT

I just put an entry on my blog. Thought it might be useful in all the discussions about money. Feel free to post questions or comments either here or on my blog.

http://pathologicallyintellectual.blogspot.com/

• wannaexit
    wannaexit
    I read the whole explanation, but It's too complex for me. From your conclusion the state of watchtower is not as dire as we think it is. Correct??
  • JeffT
    JeffT

My thinking at this point is that we don't, and likely can't, know the real financial status of the Watchtower. We simply don't have the information. It is very possible they are real estate rich and cash poor. That is an immediate problem, but one that can be solved with time and good management.

I also think there is a turf war of some sort going on at the upper levels of the organization. The could be why we keep seeing so many things change. They're fighting over control of the steering wheel.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    Very interesting read Jeff
  • prologos
    prologos
    JeffT
    I also think there is a turf war of some sort going on If there is, it is between 'Persons' and real estate/finance.

Wt was always generous with the use of persons, wasteful use of their free time. perhaps departments bolstered their clout by loading up on warm bodies. It was also about training, in-doctrine-ating them. On the other hand, the bean counters, the rulers are out to protecting their turf, doctrine, persons be damned. Splane vs Tony. Doctrine vs Operations. just exploring possibilities. we need a U2, Blackbird.

• kramer
    kramer

Thanks for that very simple explanation,

i can't believe that they won't publish worldwide consolidated accounts I wonder what the charity's reason for not doing this is?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" I wonder what the charity's reason for not doing this is? "

They have always been as secretive as they possibly can, and will only publish Financial information that they are obliged to by Law.

Suspicious isn't it ?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Dear Jeff T, or anyone, do you have any knowledge of them investing $40,000,000 in a Caymen Island based Hedge Fund in 2007 ?

My question relates to how much they may well have lost on this, as it was just before the Crash ?

Also, how do the Authorities in the USA regard a Charity investing in such Funds ?

• cognac
    cognac
    Thanks JeffT!
  • konceptual99
    konceptual99

Thanks Jeff. Have you looked at the accounts published by the two main JW legal organisations in the UK?

I can repost the links if you need them but these have the breakdowns you are talking about and anyone with an accounting background should be able to discern some useful information from them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit