Why don't you do anything?

by WireRider 59 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• WireRider
    WireRider

Sabin - thank you. I have been frustrated by my own personal experience with the WT, but I am looking at this objectively from a perspective. It's nuts. Yes, there is a core that really believes in the WT and wants to stay - and they should be able to - the shock would be too great. 80% are too scared to leave - for fear of punishment - and that's just wrong. As I said in any agenda there should be a safety net for people. An alternative of some kind. SAY IT LOAD - THERE IS AN ALTERNATIVE THAT IS NOT UNDER CONTROL OR THREAT OF FAMILY PUNISHMENT. That is crazy. That is crazy that people would allow humans to have that control over them. End the cycle of violence.

What I propose really is not the annihilation of the WT, but to eliminate their grasp, control, and punishment of people. Let those who want to be free - be free. Those who want to stay - stay. No harm no punishment. In the church I grew up in, I can walk in and walk out whenever I want - no punishments ever. Be nice was always the only "rule" - more of a guideline really. But we all get the point.

• WireRider
    WireRider

As I understand it (numbers vary) when Rutherford, more or less, hijacked the WT after Russell passed. People did not like his authoritarian/dictator approach. Nearly half of the congregation (world wide) broke and went back to re-form the Bible Students religion. In a Russell traditional way.

It's not unprecedented that the WT congressional has been disgruntled and come to an impasse with the leadership and split ways.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

It's a good idea in theory. One problem is that not every EX JW is active on these boards. This is the board that has the most action, but even though there are thousands of members, not that many are active at any given time. So I'm not sure we could get enough people to make an impact. Possibly Simon, who owns JWN, could generate an email to them, if he felt that was appropriate, and I doubt if he would. He takes privacy issues seriously, and many who come here need their anonymity.

The problem with many ex JWs is that a lot of them don't know the truth about the truth. They left for various reasons but still think it's the only true religion, they are still under cult mind control and are afraid of us so called apostates. I didn't look for JWN until eight years after I left, I still sort of believed the myth of the scary, bitter apostates.

Still, it's an idea worth exploring. I think there is a thread right now working on something like that. This may be a pivotal time for the Watchtower. They are obviously in some kind of financial trouble and are coming up with ridiculous explanations for their generation teaching. There must be a lot of people in the organization who are having doubts, it would be great to take advantage of that.

Another problem is there needs to be someone to spearhead that. There are some EX JW activists out there, and there was an an activist EX JW organization, whose name we must not mention, that tried to do something like that, but they made some major missteps and burned a lot of bridges in the ex JW community, some of the members were banned from here. So you would need a new group or individual to do this, I don't know of anyone who is in a position to take it on, or has the necessary expertise.

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

The greatest challenge of all? Most people inside high control groups don't want to leave. That includes JW's.

Now that we've left that may seem mad, but there you go. They simply want to stay in. Experience shows me that you have to play a waiting game.

It's frustrating but unless people are ready to 'wake up', any campaigns will be viewed as persecution and be seen as proof of how right they really are.

It's an Orwellian world in there.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

WireRider: There are ones here who have not seen or talk to their love ones

in years, and the JW members see this. It a horrible organization.

• Sabin
    Sabin
    Wirerider the point is this, when some one has been abused be it physically/mentally/emotionally/sexually you cannot make it not happen, it has already been, what you can do is help with the healing process by being present for that person to tell their story to. By listening or in this case reading theirs & for them to read others experiences one can begin to bind up the wound not so that a scar doesn't remain but so it is not so painful a burden to bear. Basically undo the great sadness put on ones from this organization. You are writing from your anger, we have all done it, & that is o.k because it helps you to release it & in turn helps others to know that they aren't alone. See it`s simple really that is what we are all doing here. Releasing, listening, supporting & if you read some of the post`s laughing. Well that's how I see it, maybe I`m wrong.
  • WireRider
    WireRider

I want to be clear. Russell was a follower of Arius. I may not agree, but that is not the point at all. I think people should be able to believe what ever they want, when they want, and where they want.

When I opened this topic I mentioned I was dating a divorced JW. She was not ALLOWED to even set foot in my church. That is stupid. The JW is so scared of loosing people that they bash other religions as Satan so JW's won't want to leave. Stupid.

The JW might be a reasonable religion if they had an open door policy.

There are ones here who have not seen or talk to their love ones

in years, and the JW members see this. It a horrible organization.

James Mixon: this is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. And people allow them to get away with it. Will you help put an end to this?

• James Mixon
    James Mixon
    WireRider: Hell yes....
  • WireRider
    WireRider

Sabin, Thank you

I am not writing from anger. I made my peace there. I am looking at this very objectively. As a outsider. I see a lot of people complaining about things and terrible things and think there is enough momentum to really make a difference. I simply don't understand why people sit back an take this themselves, and family members, and generations without doing something about it.

I here a lot of I want to I want to I want to - can't. Too hard.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I admire your righteous indignation WireRider but you've only been here for three days and by your own admission have limited experience of the issues.

Your topic title is unfair to so many ex-JWs who've helped to freeminds, individuals and families from the cult. This very site has probably freed hundreds if not thousands.

You are also unaware, as Village Idiot intimated, of plans that are being made quietly and carefully.

But welcome to JWN buddy, stick around and keep posting!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit