Speculation on future donation arrangements

by respectful_observer 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• The Searcher
    The Searcher
    The BIGGEST problem for the Org regarding donations is that they are voluntary and anonymous, so all the "guilting" in the world will not make any difference, because the "awakened" non-contributors cannot be identified. The Org will have to instigate a "direct payment" scheme via J.W.'s bank accounts in order to expose such ones to the BoE, who can then turn the screws!
  • Socrateswannabe
    Socrateswannabe

I think the OP by respectful_observer could be right on the mark. The accountants at HQ want steady cash flow coming in, not random contributions, and they've really already started doing a "lite" version of this in the US. Last year they had congregations to take what were essentially pledges from members. The congregations then informed the branch of the total pledges for their congregation and were strongly encouraged to contribute that amount to the branch each month. Because they were anonymous pledges by the members, the total added up to much more than would be realistically donated. So congregations have struggled to try to fulfill their pledge. How is the shortfall met? I would venture that in most congregations there are a few families that have some money, and some of those families have someone serving as an elder. It's those families who make up the slack.

The only change in scenario between what is happening now and the OP's scenario is that congregations will be told how much to contribute for each publisher. That could happen any day now.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer
    I would venture that in most congregations there are a few families that have some money, and some of those families have someone serving as an elder. It's those families who make up the slack.

Agreed. I could see the letter to each congregation:

- quote/reference scripture about the widow's two small coins

- quote/reference 1st century congregations contributing more to make up for others' material deficiency.

Basically saying that if EVERYONE gives all they can, those with more will make up for the the deficiencies of those with less (read: tithe-lite).

Those who lived in wealthier areas would get lots of reminders that there are poor congregations out there.

But if they were REALLY smart, they would first roll this out on the DL...during the CO's meeting with the local elders he would verbally talk through this new arrangement and give his assessment of where the congregation stood and "encourage" the local body to ensure their current monthly resolution totals at least that amount. (Of course, if the current resolution is more he can shower them with praise / shame them into ensure it stays high.) Then after a few years they could roll it out more publicly with plenty of follow-up "deficit" announcements at the meeting.

That way you get the elders on board early, and then when it becomes more public, everyone can stand back and say: "oh, well nothing has REALLY changed. Now we just have announcements so the friends can stay informed."

• tornapart
    tornapart
    There'll probably be some guilt tripping involved... 'Brothers, even though we have made our pledges anonymously, Jehovah knows. We have made our pledges to Jehovah and if are not fulfilling our vow to Jehovah then he will see it'.... (or words to that effect put in Borg-speak).
  • Sofia Lose
    Sofia Lose

No more donations from me at KH or at assemblies. However, I am sure my hubby and rest of immediate and extended family will more than make up for it. They are hardcore JWs.

SL

• Saltheart Foamfollower
    Saltheart Foamfollower

I think they have seriously underestimated the effect last years cash grab has had. Based on what I've heard from local congregations, most bodies of elders are still annoyed at having to send all of their savings then not being able to maintain their Halls. In the UK they were also forced to spend £1000 on projection equipment just after the money went. Ordinary members of the congregation are also murmering and probably wont increase donations. If they are depending on selling Kingdom Halls I think they may be discovering that most were bought to be used by local people and are less valuable than they expected - many are in regions of towns with little re-sale value.

SF

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I can't wait until they put ATMs in the Kingdumb Hells. Perhaps there could be a card swiper on the door to get in? Or a card system for "security reasons", that require a monthly payment? Let's say $10.00 USD a month for the privilege of walking through the doors of the KH!

It could be set up exactly like a card system at the Club House pool in fancy neighborhoods. The Eldubs can see who has "donated" and keep their card activated! GENIUS!!!!

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit