Opposing war = passive support?

by expatbrit 62 Replies latest jw friends

• Adam
    Adam

Trauma Hound,

Obviously you are concerned about the people in Iraq. More than once I have heard you mention the harm that depleted uranium shells are causing. I must assume then that you are also appalled by the children who have been orphaned when their fathers have been killed as suspected enemies of the paranoid dictator. You must weep at the starvation and malnutrition brought on by misappropriated funds and by the sanctions from the world community that the current regime has brought on its self. The thousands and thousands of soldiers that have died in agressive wars against neighbors must break your heart. Since you care so greatly about the welfare of the citizens of Iraq, you must desperatly want to put an immediate end to the death and misery. I would like to know what your solution to the problem is? Sanctions have not worked. Popular, internal uprisings have not worked. Begging, asking, requesting, and demanding all have not worked. What is the answer? If you could please refrain from listing all of the things that America has done wrong in it's dealings with Iraq and keep to answering the question I would appreciate it.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Adam,

I must assume then that you are also appalled by the children who have been orphaned when their fathers have been killed as suspected enemies of the paranoid dictator. You must weep at the starvation and malnutrition brought on by misappropriated funds and by the sanctions from the world community that the current regime has brought on its self.

On this basis of this comment when can we expect to see an invasion of Cuba, Indonesia, Syria, Columbia, Zimbawe etc. etc.

HS

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Bloody soon, I hope.

Expatbrit

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

""On this basis of this comment when can we expect to see an invasion of Cuba, Indonesia, Syria, Columbia, Zimbawe etc. etc.""

The "similar cases" point only offers a false choice. Each have a different set of circumstances. How do you eat an elephant?, one bite at a time!

• dubla
    dubla
    On this basis of this comment when can we expect to see an invasion of Cuba, Indonesia, Syria, Columbia, Zimbawe etc. etc.

i think the intent of the comment was to get to the nuts and bolts of whether t h really cares about every death in iraq, or only the ones that fit his antiwar agenda, and if he cares about them all equally, hes asked to answer a question about solutions honestly and intelligently. is that unfair h.s?

aa

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

HS:

Greetings:

"..were not the reasons given to the world for this war. They became the reasons as opposition grew around the world to the war. Let us remind ourselves that the two reasons that the US Coalition invaded Iraq were.."

In the past, many war efforts start out with a premise of issues and then expands as the action progresses. During the Civil war, Lincoln’s reason was to preserve the Union. Then as the War progressed the lesser issues took hold to rally more persons to the cause (slavery).

To list all the wrongs that we will right, does not take away the premise.

• dubla
    dubla

h.s.-

you might get one of those wishes sooner than expected......

>

BREAKING NEWS

U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld warns Syria that the U.S. considers military shipments to Iraq a 'hostile act.' Details soon.

http://www.cnn.com/

aa

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

"As of today’’s date, no such weapons have been uncovered in Iraq. "

Not true. The missies that Iraq have been using to bomb Kuwait since the start of the war are banned under UN Resolutions.

• Adam
    Adam

Trauma Hound,

Please use the example of Hillary Step of how NOT to respond to the question. Using irrelevant rhetoric to divert from the subject of question will only make you look lame and unable to defend your position. I seriously would like to hear your views on how to solve the humanitarian problem without the use of force.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

dubla,

i think the intent of the comment was to get to the nuts and bolts of whether t h really cares about every death in iraq, or only the ones that fit his antiwar agenda, and if he cares about them all equally, hes asked to answer a question about solutions honestly and intelligently. is that unfair h.s?

Not unfair at all and I will leave TH to answer this question.

As you are probably aware I am not against war, I am against it being used before the last resort. I am yet to be convinced that the Coalition and its Foreign Intelligence Services knew what they doing when they stuck their noses into a wasps nest. I believe that the repercussions of this war for tomorrow’s world are not going to bring the positive changes to the Middle East that both Blair and Bush perceive, but I hope I am very wrong. I traveled throughout the Middle East many years ago and found that my perceptions of the people who live their had been grossly influenced by a misguided Western view. They simply do not perceive and understand most things in Western terms and are as alien to the West in their thinking as the Far East is. It seems that often what we are trying to do in the Middle East is to force people who inhabit that area to think like Westerners. I can tell you, you would have more success packing sawdust than attaining to this. The beheading of women, the maiming and torture of individuals did not start in Iraq, it is a centuries old way of life and is not all that Arab culture and life is about!

My point, that I have made more than once, is that one cannot use the, 'look at what that animal is doing to his people - we must get rid of him' argument with impunity as it begins to highlight the hypocrisy of a situation where the same outraged Coalition has turned a blind eye to such suffering in other lands for decades, and even aided and abetted those causing the suffering. Surely you can see that this does indeed impact the veracity of the ‘liberation of the Iraqi people’ argument?

HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit