The case of Jamal Khashoggi

by LoveUniHateExams 46 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon

I think the problem is simplistic thinking where if one group is labelled "baddies" and some other group is fighting them, then that group must automagically be "goodies"

The reality is that often both are "baddies".

Al Qaeda? Muslim Brotherhood? ISIS? All fight amongst themselves for dominance but none of them are the good guys.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Al Qaeda? Muslim Brotherhood? ISIS? All fight amongst themselves for dominance but none of them are the good guys.

Yep. Throw the saudi in there too. They aren't heros, just (sort of) the least bad. And in the end khashoggi still doesn’t deserve one tear or one bit of the USA’s attention

• cofty
    cofty
    khashoggi still doesn’t deserve ... one bit of the USA’s attention - Morph

Whether Khashoggi is a friend of liberal democracy or its greatest critic is irrelevant.

Does America no longer stand for anything?

• oppostate
    oppostate
    First, people should ask why they keep calling him a journalist.
    Because he was a reporter working for the Washington Post!
  • TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia ratified the International Convention against Torture in October 1997 according to the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.

Wikipedia

State is breaking international law

The Saudi Arabian delegation's abstention of ratifucation of human rights andwas prompted primarily by two of the Declaration's articles: Article 18, which states that everyone has the right "to change his religion or belief"; and Article 16, on equal marriage rights.[21

• Simon
    Simon

The UN is a toothless tiger that acts simply to rubber-stamp rants against Israel. The worst human-rights abusing countries in the world are on the human rights council. The whole thing is a joke and shouldn't be taken seriously.

I have less sympathy for Jamal than I do for the innocent people that state killers have assassinated over the years. The French killed people when they sunk the greenpeace ship. I don't recall any calls to invade France or cease trading with them. How many people have been drone-striked as 'collatoral damage'? It's still killing innocent people, whatever fancy term it's given.

Let's not start a war over one man's death, certainly not this man.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Because he was a reporter working for the Washington Post!
    False. He wrote opinion/pr pieces about the brootherhood. That is not “reporting”. He loved and died as a brotherhood press agent.

The saudis have now confirmed his death. They claim he died in an altercation in the embassy. Tacit admission they killed him... and it changes nothing. Not a US citizen. Not our problem.

• Queequeg
    Queequeg

"False. He wrote opinion/pr pieces about the brootherhood. That is not “reporting”. He loved and died as a brotherhood press agent." - Morphie

Wikipedia -

Jamal Khashoggi began his career as a regional manager for Tihama Bookstores from 1983 to 1984.[25] Later he worked as a correspondent for the Saudi Gazette and as an assistant manager for Okaz from 1985 to 1987.[25] He continued his career as a reporter for various daily and weekly Arab newspapers from 1987 to 1990, including Al Sharq Al Awsat, Al Majalla and Al Muslimoon.[6][25] Khashoggi became managing editor and acting editor-in-chief of Al Madina in 1991 and his tenure in that position lasted until 1999.[25]

From 1991 to 1999, he was a foreign correspondent in such countries as Afghanistan, Algeria, Kuwait, Sudan, and in the Middle East.[6] It is also claimed that he served with both Saudi Arabian Intelligence Agency and possibly the United States in Afghanistan during this period.[26] He then was appointed a deputy editor-in-chief of Arab News, and served in the post from 1999 to 2003.[27]

Khashoggi and Tamara Cofman Wittes during Project on Middle East Democracy's "Mohammed bin Salman's Saudi Arabia: A Deeper Look."

Khashoggi became the editor-in-chief of the Saudi Arabian daily Al Watan for a short period, less than two months, in 2003.[6][28][29][27] He was fired in May 2003 by the Saudi Arabian Ministry of Information because he had allowed a columnist to criticize the Islamic scholar Ibn Taymiyya (1263–1328), who is considered the founding father of Wahhabism.[30] This incident led to Khashoggi's reputation in the West as a liberal progressive.[31]

Not a journalist? Facepalm x10.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Again, reading comprehension isnt your strength. Read what i quoted and what i said in response. Im done spoon feeding the unwashed masses for the day.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

The USA will activate its righteousness when it’s in their strategic interests. I’d say they’re technically involved in more than one war in the region already.

It’s in America’s interest to have some stability in surrounding states, sadly it takes harsh dictatorhips to control Islamic populations (trust me I’m Islamophobic). It has to be brutal in these places, life for these people is Old Testament shit, that’s why they’re labeled ‘shitholes’.

It’s hardly news anyhow. Saudi Arabia Royalty responsible for dismembering. FFS who is honestly susprised? It’s a mainstream media fuck fest is what it is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit