New in the neighborhood..

by Italiancalipso 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Giordano
    Giordano

Remember IC that cognitive dissonance is a powerful reaction to what you might be saying or trying to say to family and friends...... even with the best of intentions.

In the field of psychology, cognitive dissonance occurs when a person holds two or more contradictory beliefs, ideas, or values, or participates in an action that goes against one of these three, and experiences psychological stress because of that.

A believing JW will fight hard to hold on to the perceived 'rightness of their beliefs'. The yelling, and borderline hate, the unkind remarks are signs of cognitive dissonance which include:
    Making family and friends:
    1. Feel uncomfortable.
    2. The need to avoid Conflict.
    3. Rationalization.
    4. Shame.
    5. Guilt.
    6. Ignoring the facts.

Its very difficult to have a thoughtful conversation when family and or... friends are locked into a belief.

Show them how true love is shown......don't tell them unless they ask.

Accept that their belief may be more tenacious then your disbelief . Be gentle and be kind.

Maybe they will experience the Truth about the Truth..

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

ITALIANCALIPSO:

Welcome to the forum. I am also Italian descent and have been to Italy three times over the years.

I am sorry for what happened there with Covid. I hope the tourist industry and the economy can recover to some degree soon.

• Italiancalipso
    Italiancalipso

Thx LonghairGal! Let see...I will keep you posted for major update about the situation here.

Thx Giordano for the good reminder! Indeed in the first phase of my path I was rude against elders and family and I saw this didn't bring good result. that's why I changed the way I'm dealing with this problem, as well the fact that I grew emotionally(...especially reading forum as this one).

PS: thx for the acronym IC! good idea!

Ciao

IC

• waton
    waton
    unfortunately not the overlapped generation :smile:

IC, welcome, it looks you brought all the mafioso here out of the woodworks. during ww2 I Lived just north of you, in Gerritt Loesch's territory. so,

You are not a partaker, why is that unfortunate? anyway, not wanting to hijack your thread, if your interests are doctrinal:

You could be, by wt measurements.as defined by DS. so, using Dave's remarks in the chart video,

Let us say you knew one of those long lived Sardinians, living past 100. One born in 1900 would be 14 in 1914, a sure partaker. all partook before 1935) When you were ~ 14, he was still alive, and well. so, you millennials are actually overlapping with the e centenarians of 1914. just drinking Chianti all the time,j not only at passover time.

As an argument for your still "in" friends, family: let them do the math. You are a possible oberlapper (you actually are)*, born ~ 1986. When will your Sardinian generation end? not before 2090! there is a new wt derived definition of 'soon.'

* alongside the overlapping anointed partakers live billions of overlapping overlappers.

Enjoy your live!, the intimate family overlap that creates new generations!

• Fadeaway1962
    Fadeaway1962

Welcome italiancalipso

Someone from a previous gong went to serve in a Sri Lanka committee in northern Italy somewhere.

Have had holidays in Tuscany ,Umbria,

Sardinia, Sicily

Great food and wine and history

• Italiancalipso
    Italiancalipso

Ahahaahhah Waton! Honestly your explanation had more sense than the JW...especially due to the fact we should drink Chianti all the time! Super!

Thx Fadeaway and all for the welcome here!

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I was neglectful to offer a welcome Italiancalipso and I do so now.I`m not Italian but grew up living next door to italians for the first 15 years of my life in "Little Italy" Carlton, Melbourne Aust.

Its been a real tragedy the death toll in Northern Italy as it has been in so many other parts of the world and I agree that China needs to be big enough to allow an Independant Group to investigate where exactly and how such a thing could start in the province of china and spread as it did to the rest of the world .

And actually holding back from putting blame on anyone in particular .

In order to prevent it happening again from anywhere else in the world.

My 2 cents worth.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Italiancalipso--I am also of Italian descent. Check your PM

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

I just realized that pm isn't available to me ;(

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit