Are Atheists Hypocritical in Celebrating Christmas?

by Sea Breeze 68 Replies latest jw friends

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Also l would not expect a Sikh or Hindu to attend a Christian service

See how divisive religion is? I just don't understand this attitude. I attended the funeral of a colleague last month, the service was in a Catholic church and was full of prayers, incense and the sprinkling of holy water.

Ordinarily I'd remark on the irrational nature of this superstitious mumbo-jumbo but it was important to my friend and her family and I could feel my conscience chiding me for even thinking about it during everyone's grief.

It doesn't matter that I'm not Christian, I was there for my friend. I would've attended if I'd been Sikh or Hindu too.

• SydBarrett
    SydBarrett
    "Most people like all the cool stuff God made, but they just don't like him."

SeaBreeze likes all the cool stuff Brahma made, he just doesn't like him.

SeaBreeze likes all the cool stuff Zeus made, He just doesn't like him.

SeaBreeze likes all the cool stuff Quetzalcoatl made, He just doesn't like him.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

PioneerSchmioneerVery interesting, thank you ! I know the British royal family open their gifts on Christmas eve, following their German family traditions....

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    St. Athanasius, one of the great fathers and theologians of the Church, tells us: "The Son of God became human so that we might become God." Obviously we do not become God in the way that God is God, but we become God-like, we are divinized.

Sounds rather Egyptian...?!

I adore Christmas Carols, Gregorian chants and all high Church music. I regularly attend Kings College Carol services.

It's part of my culture...

That's no more hypocritical than a Christian who loves Black Sabbath, AC DC, or Metal in general, is it?

Nico It doesn't matter that I'm not Christian, I was there for my friend. I would've attended if I'd been Sikh or Hindu too.

Yes I remember banging saucepans together when my Chinese neighbour died.

Of course I don't believe I was scaring away ghosts....I joined in as they requested as a show of support for my grieving neighbours

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete
    I would have to really consider how much of a part l would be comfortable in playing in an Eid or Diwali celebration. Certainly not to the point of praising a deity that l didn't believe in , l would feel hypocritical doing that.

Jan, that was exactly the point. Believers in a particular deity and religious observance have a much harder time appreciating religious variety as cultural variety.

I've shared this before but every year we host a large Christmas featuring a different nation and their traditions. Many of these traditions are rather fascinating such as Poland with straw under the tablecloth of the virgins!

• jhine
    jhine

Nicolaou , of course l would attend a funeral or wedding of a friend in a different culture. I just wouldn't join in singing praises or say prayers to a god that l don't believe in .

I like Ed Sheeran ( l know ) but l understand that not everyone does . I wouldn't ask someone who can't stand his music to come to a concert with me . Does that make music divisive ?

We make decisions all the time about doing or not doing things based on all sorts of reasons.

I feel that the JW shadow still looms here. The WT deliberately makes it's followers shun the ' world ' in order to control them . So l suppose that it's natural for ex JWs to assume that other religions are the same .

Other religions don't do that , but each person has to stay true to themself. That's my point , l just wouldn't want anyone compromising themself to accommodate me .

Jan from Tam

• Biahi
    Biahi

I’m retired now, but I used to work with a very nice Hindu woman, from India. She and her husband had 2 school aged boys. Each year, she and her family put up a Christmas tree, and gave each other gifts on December 25th. Why? Because her kids were growing up here in the USA, and her kids wanted it. 🤷‍♀️

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

@SydBarret,

Ad Hominem atttacks are universally known to be an admittance of FAILURE to provide anything of substance. If you really want to promote natural materialism, all you have to do is come up with plausible explanations for the facts surrounding the resurrection of Jesus.

It should be simple, right?

Here's what I believe after 60 years on this planet. I believe the most fundamental feature of humans is their ability to lie. They lie to others all the time, but mostly they lie to themselves.

Atheists are never acknowleged to exist in the bible. They are described as people who speak to themselves certain lies. "The fool has said in his heart, there is no God". This is known by science as the psychological device known as "suppression". In other words, It is a mental illness; likely caused by some real or imagined trauma.

There are dozens of ways to utterly destroy any rational basis for atheism. DNA is only one. It has multiple codes that can be read frontwards, backwards and even three-dimensionally. It is equivalent to reading an encyclopedic set of 175 volumes, then turning the books upside down and starting from the back, reading new information, then ripping out all the pages and throwing them in a pile and the places where the pages touch each other create a new three dimensional code of information.

Atheists ask their neighbors to follow them in their delusions and believe that it came from literally nothing.

People who lie will always tell on themselves when they talk. Atheists claim that an explosion of unguided nothingness created rules of logic, reason, mathematics and many other non-tangible foundations of our existence. But, atheists don't rely on the chance and happenstance they SAY they believe in that gave them these gifts in life. And the reason is that in their heart of hearts, atheists know that reason, math, and logic are not artifacts of exploded nothingness, but rather a reliable description of the way God's mind works. In this way, atheists let it slip that they really do know God. It is hypocritical to rely on logic as a "correct" guide while at the same time claiming that it is an artifact of chance, which is what they SAY they believe in. Their practices give them away.

But, the ultimate hypocrisy will occur here in a few days when atheists enjoy all the good things associated with God's birthday, while at the same time claiming (lying to themselves) he doesn't exist.

I would never ask an atheist (or anyone else) to not celebrate Christmas. Perhaps they well meet Jesus in someone's smile, gift or kindness and ask him to restore their sanity.

• SydBarrett
    SydBarrett

"@SydBarret,

Ad Hominem atttacks are universally known to be an admittance of FAILURE to provide anything of substance."

Nonsense. I simply used your same stupid statement. You asserted that atheists really believe in a creator but just dislike or are angry with him.

• Reasonfirst
    Reasonfirst

Sea Breeze: Quote - "Here's what I believe after 60 years on this planet. I believe the most fundamental feature of humans is their ability to lie. They lie to others all the time, but mostly they lie to themselves."

So ...Are your lying to yourself? Are you lying to us?

Another Sea Breeze comment: Quote - "But, the ultimate hypocrisy will occur here in a few days when atheists enjoy all the good things associated with God's birthday, while at the same time claiming (lying to themselves) he doesn't exist."

A bullshit statement!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit