All About Jesus Christ

by UnDisfellowshipped 66 Replies latest watchtower bible

• seedy3
    seedy3

Yes UnDisfellowshipped, I have read them, and neither of those 2 were alive when Jesus was suppose to have walked the earth. Secondly At least on of those passages, that Josephus wrote, about Jesus is well accepted as a forgery.

Did you ever read Philo of Alexanderia? he did write of "current events" During the time Jesus was suppose to have been alive, he lived during that time, he was a Jew, But....... not a single word about Jesus. Justin Martin even made a comment about the lack of mention in Philo's writtings, He was actually bewildered as to how Philo could have missed any mention of Jesus. There was another Jewish Historian that lived during Jesus time (I'll have to get his name my memory slips me right now but if you want I will get it) that was in Jerusalem when Jesus Triumphant entry was made, he was there when Jesus trial was going on, and the subsequent Nailing up happened, but some how he seemed to have missed it too. One of these 2 I just mentioned was even from Jesus hometown, they were homies, But not a single word.

No writings about Jesus were written until at least 30-40 years (most more then 100 years) after the supposed death of Jesus. The ones you mentioned were not written until after 90ad, that's 60+ years

Seedy

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Seedy3 said:

Yes UnDisfellowshipped, I have read them, and neither of those 2 were alive when Jesus was suppose to have walked the earth. Secondly At least on of those passages, that Josephus wrote, about Jesus is well accepted as a forgery.

Which passage, out of the ones that I posted, is "well accepted as a forgery"?

Also, exactly what does "well accepted" mean? Does that mean the majority of scholars and researchers believe that it is a forgery, or does it mean that half of the scholars and researchers believe that it is a forgery, or does it mean that some of the scholars and researchers believe that it is a forgery?

Here is a very interesting statement I found on a Website:

"all codices or manuscripts of Josephus's work contain the text in question [the references to Jesus]; to maintain the spuriousness of the text, we must suppose that all the copies of Josephus were in the hands of Christians, and were changed in the same way."

Did you ever read Philo of Alexanderia? he did write of "current events" During the time Jesus was suppose to have been alive, he lived during that time, he was a Jew, But....... not a single word about Jesus. Justin Martin even made a comment about the lack of mention in Philo's writtings, He was actually bewildered as to how Philo could have missed any mention of Jesus. There was another Jewish Historian that lived during Jesus time (I'll have to get his name my memory slips me right now but if you want I will get it) that was in Jerusalem when Jesus Triumphant entry was made, he was there when Jesus trial was going on, and the subsequent Nailing up happened, but some how he seemed to have missed it too. One of these 2 I just mentioned was even from Jesus hometown, they were homies, But not a single word.
    No writings about Jesus were written until at least 30-40 years (most more then 100 years) after the supposed death of Jesus. The ones you mentioned were not written until after 90ad, that's 60+ years

I am currently doing research into the information you mentioned, and I will post my findings here soon.

I do thank you for bringing this information up.

• seedy3
    seedy3
    Which passage, out of the ones that I posted, is "well accepted as a forgery"?

Also, exactly what does "well accepted" mean? Does that mean the majority of scholars and researchers believe that it is a forgery, or does it mean that half of the scholars and researchers believe that it is a forgery, or does it mean that some of the scholars and researchers believe that it is a forgery?

This is the passage that is in question

Now there was about this time Jesus, a wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man, for he was a doer of wonderful works, a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure. He drew over to him both many of the Jews, and many of the Gentiles. He was the Christ, and when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men among us, had condemned him to the cross, those that loved him at the first did not forsake him; for he appeared to them alive again the third day; as the divine prophets had foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him. And the tribe of Christians so named from him are not extinct at this day.

Even Christian apologists suspect this as being in the least as having been tamperd with, in the book "He walked amung us" by Josh Mcdowell his comments are this way

"a hotly-contested quotation"

Scholarly opinion is divided into three camps: those who accept the entire passage as authentic; those who reject the entire passage as a Christian interpolation into the text (perhaps authored by the fourth-century church historian Eusebius); and those who believe that the original text contained an authentic reference to Jesus but was later embellished by Christian copyists.

"Enough of the writings of [these] authors . . . remain to form a library. Yet in this mass of Jewish and Pagan literature, aside from two forged passages in the works of a Jewish author, and two disputed passages in the works of Roman writers, there is to be found no mention of Jesus Christ."McKlintock and Strong's Cyclopædia of Theological Literature.
    Seedy
  • ozziepost
    ozziepost
    you need to shorten many of your posts and info. Waaaaaay tooooooooo much to read ( in one setting )

Oh yes, I agree with that, Gumby! I'd suggest that most simply don't have the time to wade thru' so much. How on earth does one get the time to type it all out?

Anyway, a suggestion for UD: When you include a quotation, use the quote facility. It'll reduce the space no end and it will make it easier on the eyes.

I'm sure there's good stuff there, but good communication calls for selecting some effective presentation.

Just a suggestion.

Cheers, Ozzie

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Playdrums,

Thanks for your comments. I am very happy that my posts are helping people. That is the only reason I am posting on JWD: to help people.

Ozzie,

I can understand completely, and yes, I should definitely have used the "Quotes" button a lot more.

Seedy,

Thanks for your comments. Yes, I do agree that some of Josephus' statements about Jesus seem to be spurious. Even if (and I'm not saying they are) some of the statements are spurious, it seems highly unlikely to me that any Christians would have added comments about Jesus, unless Josephus had already mentioned something about Jesus.

Here is some very interesting information I found on a Web Page about Josephus' statements about Jesus:

A UTHENCITY OF J OSEPHUS A number of recent liberal scholars have stated that Josephus ' reference to Christ is a forgery. This is a significant but unproven statement since no one can produce a single ancient copy of Josephus' Antiquities of the Jews that does not refer to Christ in positive terms. The notable exception is one Syrian document which was produced by the Hebrew University in Jerusalem.

The following list demonstrates a portion of the ancient documents which cite the passage about Jesus from Josephus:
    AD 250
    AD 324
    AD 360
    AD 400
    AD 410
    AD 440
    AD 510
    AD 640
    AD 740
    AD 860
    AD 1060
    AD 1120
    AD 1170
    AD 1480
    Celsus
    Eusebius
    Ambrose
    Hieronym
    Isidorus Pelusiota
    Sozomen
    Cassiodorus
    Unknown
    Anastasius
    Photius
    Cedrenus
    Zonaras
    Gotfridus
    Platina de Vitis
    Id. Contr.
    Demonstr Evan
    Excid. Urb. Hierosolyn
    de Vir. Illustr. in Josepho
    the Scholar of Chrysostom
    Hist. Ecceles.
    Tripartit e Sozomeno
    Chron. Alex.
    Abbas contr. Jud.
    Cod.
    Compend. Histor.
    Annal.
    Viterbiensis Chron.
    Pontificum in Christo
    C ONCLUSION
    This is a partial list of documents which date from AD 250 to 1480. They are written in different languages and come from various countries, including Russia and Arabic countries. Altering an official Roman document would have been very difficult as long as Rome was in power. The archives could have been checked at any time. Then to have altered multiple copies that were in distribution in other countries and different languages would have been even more problematic. What is interesting is that the wording is identical from document to document. The rest of Josephus' statements, even about John the Baptist, are accepted by the liberals as historically accurate. So why are Josephus' statements about Jesus the only exception? Objectivity is required, not ingrained prejudice.

I am still doing research into other secular writings mentioning Jesus. I have found some, from various Websites, which I am posting here:

The Talmud ("teaching" or "study") is a multi-volume compilation containing the Mishnah (oral legal teachings) and Jewish commentary on the Mishnah (Gemara). It is the basis of Jewish religious life. The accepted version was compiled by Rabbis Akiba (died AD 135) and Meir and completed by Rabbi Judah in AD 200.

"On the eve of the Passover Yeshu [Jesus] was hanged. . . but since nothing was brought forward in his favor he was hanged on the eve of the Passover." Babylonia Sanhedrin 43A

This reference reveals several key things:

1) Jesus was hanged (see Gal 3:13) or crucified.

2) Jesus died on Passover eve or Friday afternoon.

3) No one defended Jesus.

Lucian of Samosata lived during the second century. He was a satirist who was scornful of Christians. He wrote several books: The Passing Peregrinus and Alexander the False Prophet.

"The Christians. . . worship a man to this day - the distinguished personage who introduced this new cult, and was crucified on that account. . . . You see, these misguided creatures start with the general conviction that they are immortal for all time, which explains their contempt for death and self devotion . . . their lawgiver [taught] they are all brothers, from the moment that they are converted, and deny the gods of Greece, and worship the crucified sage, and live after his laws. All this they take on faith . . . " The Passing Peregrinus

1) Christians worshipped Jesus.

2) Jesus was crucified for what he taught.

3) Jesus started Christianity.

4) Jesus' disciples believed Jesus' teachings.

5) Early Christians taught that when one was converted he or she had eternal life.

6) They lived by faith - they believed Jesus.

Mara Bar-Serapion was a Syrian who lived at least 73 years after Jesus Christ. He left a legacy manuscript, a letter, written to his son Serapion. The letter is now in the possession of the British Museum.

"What benefit did the Athenians obtain by putting Socrates to death? Famine and plague came upon them as judgment for their crime. Or, the people of Samos for burning Pythagoras? In one moment their country was covered with sand. Or the Jews by murdering their wise king?. . . after that their kingdom was abolished. God rightly avenged these men. . . the wise king. . . lived on in the teachings he enacted." (Written A.D. 73)

1) Jesus was regarded as a wise king.
    2) Jesus was murdered.
    3) Jesus' teachings lived on.

Phlegon was a historian who lived in the first century. There are two books credited to his name: Chronicles and the Olympiads. Little is known about Phlegon but he made reference to Christ (Written A.D. 80). The first two quotes are unique to Origen and the last quote below is recorded by Origen and Philopon.

"Now Phlegon, in the thirteenth or fourteenth book, I think, of his Chronicles, not only ascribed to Jesus a knowledge of future events . . . but also testified that the result corresponded to His predictions." -Origen Against Celsus

"And with regard to the eclipse in the time of Tiberius Caesar, in whose reign Jesus appears to have been crucified, and the great earthquakes which then took place . . . ” -Origen Against Celsus

"Phlegon mentioned the eclipse which took place during the crucifixion of the Lord Jesus and no other (eclipse); it is clear that he did not know from his sources about any (similar) eclipse in previous times . . . and this is shown by the historical account of Tiberius Caesar." -De. opif. mund. II21

These references reveal several key things:

1) Jesus had knowledge of the future.

2) Jesus' predictions came true.

3) The sun was darkened during Christ's death.

4) A great earthquake occurred during Christ's death.

5) The facts were recorded in a historical account of Tiberius.

Thallus (circa A.D. 52) wrote a history about the middle east from the time of the Trojan War to his own time. The work has been lost and the only record we have of his writings is through Julius Africanus (A.D. 221). Below Julius Africanus refers to Christ's crucifixion and the darkness that covered the earth prior to his death.

"This darkness Thallus, in the third book of his History, calls, as it appears to me without reason, an eclipse of the sun. For the Hebrews celebrate the passover on the 14th day according to the moon, and the passion of our Savior falls on the day before the passover; but an eclipse of the sun takes place only when the moon comes under the sun. And it cannot happen at any other time but in the interval between the first day of the new moon and the last of the old, that is, at their junction: how then should an eclipse occur when the moon is almost diametrically opposite the sun?

Phlegon records that in the time of Tiberius Caesar, at full moon, there was a full eclipse of the sun from the sixth hour to the ninth — manifestly that one of which we speak."
    -The Extant Writings of Julius Africanus 18

1) Darkness covered the earth at Christ's death.

2) The only question was: "What caused it?"

3) The time of the darkness agrees with Matthew 27:45.

4) An eclipse cannot account for the darkness - this was a miracle.

Hadrian, Imperator Caesar Trainus, (A.D. 76-138), was considered a man of culture and the arts. It appears he preferred peace rather than war. The following quote comes from a letter sent to Minucius Fundanus, proconsul of Asia, about how to treat Christians.

"I do not wish, therefore, that the matter should be ignored without examination, so that these men may not be harassed, nor an opportunity given for malicious proceedings to be offered to informers. If, therefore, the provincials can clearly show their charges against these Christians, so as to answer before the tribunal, let them pursue this course only, but not just petitions, and mere outcries against Christians. For it is more fitting, if any one brings an accusation, that you should examine it."

1) Christians existed during the reign of Hadrian.

2) Christians were in conflict with society.

3) They followed Christ.

Emperor Trajan (A.D. 53 - 117), Imperator Caesar Divi Nervae Filius Nerva Traianus, was one of the most famous Roman emperors of all time. His reputation as a successful military strategist is demonstrated by his military exploits which expanded the Roman boundaries to the Persian Gulf. The quote below is a reply to Pliny, who had asked for directions in how to treat the Christians.

"The method you have used, my dear Pliny, in investigating the cases of those who are accused of being Christians is extremely proper. No search should be made for these people; when they are accused and found to be guilty they must be punished; with the restriction, however, that when the individual denies he is a Christian, and gives proof that he is not (that is, by adoring our gods) he shall be pardoned on the ground of repentance, even though he may have formerly incurred suspicion. Documents without the accuser's signature must not be admitted in evidence against anyone, since this introduces a very dangerous precedent, and is by no means consistent with the spirit of the age." -Pliny letters X, 97.

1) Christians were being punished for religious reasons.

2) They could save themselves by worshipping "our gods."

3) Christians were being turned in by other citizens.

Cornelius Tacitus (55-120 AD) has been called the greatest historian on ancient Rome. He lived during the reign of several Roman emperors and was a Roman historian and a governor of Asia [Turkey] in A.D. 112. He wrote two major works: Annals and the Histories.

"Consequently, to get rid of the report, Nero falsely charged with the guilt, and punished with the most exquisite tortures a class hated for their abominations, people called Christians by the populace. Christus [Christ], from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius [A.D. 14-37] at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilate. But the pernicious superstition, repressed for a time broke out again, not only through Judea, where the mischief originated, but through the city of Rome also." -Annals 15.44 (Written A.D. 52 - 54).

1) Christ lived in the period of A.D. 14-37.

2) Pontius Pilate put him to death.

3) The word "superstition" suggests a religion.

4) Christ had followers who were named Christians.

Gaius Plinius Caecilius Secundus (A.D. 61-112), or Pliny the Younger, was the governor of Bithynia (A.D. 112) and a Roman senator. He wrote to emperor Trajan asking for guidance on how he should treat the Christians in his province.

Christians were "meeting on a certain fixed day before it was light, when they sang in alternate verse a hymn to Christ as to a god, and bound themselves to a solemn oath, not to do wicked deeds, never commit fraud, theft, adultery, not to lie nor to deny a trust. . . " -Epistles X96

1) Jesus was worshipped like a god.
    2) Christians met on a fixed day of the week.
    3) The meeting occurred before sunrise.
    4) They sang songs to Christ.
    5) Christians were committed to holy behavior.

Gaius Suetonius Tranquilla was a Roman historian (A.D. 117-138) under Hadrian (A.D. 76-138). He was also the secretary of state and authored a book entitled Life of Claudius.

"Because the Jews at Rome caused constant disturbances at the instigation of Chrestus [Christ], he [Claudius] expelled them from the city [Rome]." -Life of Claudius.

"Nero inflicted punishment on the Christians, a sect given to a new and mischievous religious belief." Life of Claudius.

1) Christians held to new beliefs.
    2) Christians followed Christ.
    3) Christians were punished and banished from Rome.

Pontius Pilate (1 B.C. - circa A.D. 37) was the fifth Roman procurator of Judea (A.D. 26 - 36 ), under Emperor Tiberius, who sentenced Jesus to death by crucifixion. The quotes below refer to the Acts of Pontius Pilate, a document now missing. Its existence is strongly supported by Epiphanius (Heresies 50.1), Justin Martyr (First Apology) and Tertullian (Apology).

"'At His coming the lame will leap as a deer, and the stammering tongue will clearly speak: the blind will see, and the lepers will be healed; and the dead will rise, and walk.' And that He did those things, you can learn from the Acts of Pontius Pilate." -First Apology 48.

'''They pierced my hands and my feet,' was used in reference to the nails of the cross which were driven into His hands and feet. And. . . they cast lots for His clothes, and after they crucified Him distributed it among them. And that these things did happen , you can ascertain from the Acts of Pontius Pilate.' -First Apology 35.

1) Christ performed amazing miracles.

2) Christ died on a cross with hands and feet pierced with nails.

THALLUS' STATEMENT:
    "For the Hebrews celebrate the passover on the 14th day according to the moon . . . but an eclipse of the sun takes place only when the moon comes under the sun."
    CONSIDERATION: If we look for natural events to explain this event, this can only happen when the moon passes between the sun and the earth. This is called a solar eclipse. But this could not have occurred because the Bible also tells us that Jesus died on a Friday just before Passover (Luke 22:13-15). This is important because the Jews scheduled Passover during a full moon. A solar eclipse cannot occur during a full moon. There is a second reason a solar eclipse cannot explain the darkness. Astronomical records show that no solar eclipse occurred on that date anywhere near the city of Jerusalem.
    Solar Eclipse. A solar eclipse can only occur when the moon passes between the sun and the earth as shown in the figure below (graphic was modified from one created by Ian Cameron Smith, [email protected]). When this happens, the moon is referred to as a new moon. When the moon passes between the sun and the earth as shown in the figure, the sun's rays are blocked and part of the earth is darkened.

Ian also provides a detailed discussion of other types of solar eclipses at his website. This is a great website for study.
    Full Moon. A full moon only occurs when the moon is behind the earth. The expression full moon means that it appears in the night sky as fully illuminated and completely round. This means the moon must be behind the earth, otherwise the light reflected off the moon would not be seen on earth.
    CONCLUSION:
    No eclipse was possible due to the alignment of the celestial bodies. Darkness over the face of the earth with no eclipse - what a supernatural event! Consider the following:
    1) The Jewish Passover occurs during the full moon.
    2) Full moon occurs when the moon is behind the earth.
    3) This means a supernatural darkness occurred over the earth.
    4) The darkness occurred during Christ's death.
    5) The universe responded to the Creator's death.

I will definitely post more soon.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Seedy3,

I just noticed one of your statements that I hadn't seen before.

Jesus if he did live was not "God" or the "Son of God"

On what basis can you state that as fact? Is that not being biased?

Also, here is some other information I just learned:

The Apostles' Creed found in 1st Corinthians 15:3-9 has been dated by many scholars to within 3 to 7 years of Jesus' death (Several scholars believe that 1st Corinthians was written around A.D. 55 - 60).

...Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that He was buried, that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that He appeared to Cephas, then to the Twelve. Then He appeared to over five hundred brothers at once, most of whom remain until now, but some have also fallen asleep. Then He appeared to James, then to all the Apostles...

So, in less than 10-25 years after Jesus Christ's death, LOTS of people believed that Jesus had been raised from the dead, there were Christian Congregations all over the place, and Christians, including the Apostles, were willing to die a horrible martyr's death because of this belief.

• seedy3
    seedy3

UD,

Are you using Josh McDowels books for your references?? Many of the quotes seem almost word for word out of "Evidence That Demands A Verdict".

Seedy

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Hi Seedy,

No, I got the information off a few different Websites I found while doing research. I don't even know who Josh McDowel is, or what he has written.

Also, here is some more information I have learned:

The Bible Book of Acts was written before the Apostle Paul died (At the end of the Book of Acts, the Apostle Paul is still alive, and there is absolutely no mention of his death. If it was written after he died, the Book of Acts definitely would have included information on his death, and would have included information about Nero killing massive numbers of Christians). From what I seen, several scholars believe that Paul died in A.D. 64, based on information outside the Bible. This means the Book of Acts was written sometime before A.D. 64.

The Book of Acts was a continuation of the Gospel of Luke (both were written by Luke). Therefore, the Gospel of Luke was written before the Book of Acts, which was written before A.D. 64.

From my research, it appears that it is very widely believed among scholars and researchers that the Gospel of Mark was written before the Gospel of Luke. This means that the Gospel of Mark was written, at most, around 27 years after Jesus' death, and probably earlier.

Interesting statements from the Gospel of Luke and Book of Acts:

Luke 1:1-4: Since many have undertaken to set in order a narrative concerning those matters which have been fulfilled among us, even as those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and ministers of the Word delivered them to us, it seemed good to me also, having traced the course of all things accurately from the first, to write to you in order, most excellent Theophilus; that you might know the certainty concerning the things in which you were instructed.

Luke 24:1-3: But on the first day of the week, at early dawn, they and some others came to the tomb, bringing the spices which they had prepared. They found the stone rolled away from the tomb. They entered in, and didn't find the Lord Jesus' Body.

Luke 24:12: But Peter got up and ran to the tomb. Stooping and looking in, he saw the strips of linen lying by themselves, and he departed to his home, wondering what had happened.

Luke 24:15: It happened, while they talked and questioned together, that Jesus Himself came near, and went with them.

Luke 24:30-31: It happened, that when He [Jesus] had sat down at the table with them, He took the bread and gave thanks. Breaking it, He gave to them. Their eyes were opened, and they recognized Him, and He vanished out of their sight.

Luke 24:36-39: As they said these things, Jesus Himself stood among them, and said to them, "Peace be to you." But they were terrified and filled with fear, and supposed that they had seen a spirit. He said to them, "Why are you troubled? Why do doubts arise in your hearts? See My hands and My feet, that it is truly Me. Touch Me and see, for a spirit doesn't have flesh and bones, as you see that I have."

Luke 24:51: It happened, while He [Jesus] blessed them, that He withdrew from them, and was carried up into Heaven.

Acts 1:1-3: The first Book I wrote, Theophilus, concerned all that Jesus began both to do and to teach, until the day in which He was received up, after He had given Commandment through the Holy Spirit to the Apostles whom He had chosen. To these He also showed Himself alive after He suffered, by many proofs, appearing to them over a period of forty days, and speaking about God's Kingdom.

More Various Information:

Until recently, there was no contemporary evidence outside the Bible for Pilate's existence (although Tacitus, Josephus, and Philo all wrote about him). Then in 1961, Italian archaeologists excavating the theatre at Caesarea found a stone inscription of Pontius Pilate. Coins have also been found dating from Pilate's rule as governor.

So, archaeologists are still, in this century, finding new contemporary evidence for people mentioned in the Bible.

Think about this: There was no contemporary evidence found outside the Bible of Pontius Pilate until 1961. And he was a Roman Governor for a number of years! I personally believe it is reasonable to conclude that there is more contemporary evidence of Jesus that has yet to uncovered.

In my research I have also heard that almost no scholars will contest that the Book of Romans and the Book of Galatians were written in the mid-50's A.D., which would have been around 20 years after Jesus' death.

What do Romans and Galatians say about Jesus Christ:

Romans 1:1-8: Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an Apostle, set apart for the Gospel of God, which He promised before through His Prophets in the Holy Scriptures, concerning His Son, who was born of the seed of David according to the Flesh, who was declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the Spirit of Holiness, by the resurrection from the dead, Jesus Christ our Lord, through whom we received grace and Apostleship, for obedience of faith among all the nations, for His Name's sake; among whom you are also called to belong to Jesus Christ; to all who are in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, that your faith is proclaimed throughout the whole world.

Romans 10:9-13: that if you will confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart, one believes unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the Scripture says, "Whoever believes in Him will not be disappointed." For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, and is rich to all who call on Him. For, "Whoever will call on the Name of the Lord will be saved."

Galatians 1:1-5: Paul, an Apostle (not from men, neither through man, but through Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised Him from the dead), and all the brothers who are with me, to the Congregations of Galatia: Grace to you and peace from God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for our sins, that He might deliver us out of this present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father -- to whom be the glory forever and ever. Amen.

And, according to several scholars, that was written 20 years after Jesus' death. Wow, that "myth" about Jesus must have spread around real fast.

Within 20 years of Jesus' death, Christians believed that Jesus was "The Son of God", that Jesus was "Lord of all things", that Jesus was "The Christ", that Jesus died for their sins, that Jesus was raised from the dead, that Jesus was the Mediator between God and Christians, and that everyone who believes in Jesus has eternal life.

Personally, I believe that it is harder to imagine a made-up "myth" being spread so much within 20 years (especially since so many contemporaries could have refuted the myth), than it is to believe Jesus really existed, and was who He said He was.

JUSTIN MARTYR (about AD 150) addressed his 'Defence of Christianity' to the Emperor Antonius Pius and in it describes Jesus' crucifixion, how he was nailed to the cross and how his clothes were divided among the soldiers by casting lots. He also refers the Emperor to "the 'Acts' which were recorded by Pontius Pilate", these being Pilate's own report of the crucifixion which Justin supposed the Emperor had access to.

Can anyone explain why Justin Martyr would have possibly referred an Emperor to a book that didn't exist? It is obvious to me that this book existed. Can anyone explain why Justin Martyr would have possibly referred an Emperor to a book that did not contain the information which he claimed it did? It is obvious to me that this book contained the information that Justin Martyr told the Emperor to look up.

The ENCYCLOPAEDIA BRITANNICA says this about whether or not Jesus ever existed:

"These independent accounts prove that in ancient times even the opponents of Christianity never doubted the historicity of Jesus, which was disputed for the first time and on inadequate grounds by several authors at the end of the 18th, during the 19th, and at the beginning of the 20th centuries".

I will post more soon.

• seedy3
    seedy3

UD

Here is an article that you may find interesting titled "Writing the New Testament"

http://www.mystae.com/restricted/reflections/messiah/testament.html

There are links to other parts of this website that discuss the individual gospels as well

Seedy

• gumby
    gumby

Would the followers of Christ have set out deliberately to lie? Were they such bare-faced charlatans that they concocted falsehoods and deceits merely to advance themselves and their designs? They may well have been believers, in that they held to a certain faith. On this was built the fanaticism either to die, or to kill others, for that faith. But faith absolves the believer from any fidelity to objective truth!

Here is what other early writers had to say about Christian bible writers

‘I will only mention the Apostle Paul. ... He, then, if anyone, ought to be calumniated; we should speak thus to him: ‘The proofs which you have used against the Jews and against other heretics bear a different meaning in their own contexts to that which they bear in your Epistles. We see passages taken captive by your pen and pressed into service to win you a victory, which in volumes from which they are taken have no controversial bearing at all ... the line so often adopted by strong men in controversy—of justifying the means by the result.
    (

'Clearly the Christians have used...myths... in fabricating the story of Jesus' birth...It is clear to me that the writings of the Christians are a lie and that your fables are not well-enough constructed to conceal this monstrous fiction.'
    – Celsus (On The True Doctrine, c178AD)
    'To confute the opposer... one argues as one pleases, saying one thing while one means another... Origen, Eusebius] write at great length... Sometimes it is true, they are compelled to say not what they think but what is useful.'
    (Jerome, c.380
    Heres another observation

Celsus lived in during the 2nd century, CE. Origen is refuting him in the 3rd century. Celsus' writings no longer survive in tact, but we have access to some of his work when Origen quotes passages for the purpose of refutation. The following is one such passage. [AH]

Jesus had come from a village in Judea, and was the son of a poor Jewess who gained her living by the work of her own hands. His mother had been turned out of doors by her husband, who was a carpenter by trade, on being convicted of adultery [with a soldier named Panthéra (i.32)]. Being thus driven away by her husband, and wandering about in disgrace, she gave birth to Jesus, a bastard. Jesus, on account of his poverty, was hired out to go to Egypt. While there he acquired certain (magical) powers which Egyptians pride themselves on possessing. He returned home highly elated at possessing these powers, and on the strength of them gave himself out to be a god.

UD,

This seems to be an observation not shared by all, but was believed by the author.

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit