The Truth about the bible

by TTWSYF 49 Replies latest watchtower bible

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

I think I get it...tongue in cheek theocratic warfare?

• Crazyguy2
    Crazyguy2

Actually I found this out studying what Jewish scholars say about the Torah. Again I’m not saying some of the writings in the Bible weren’t older just they were not in a Jewish holy book or collection yet. Many writing in the Bible are not even Jewish in origin. The flood story as one example is just a copy of an older Sumerian story. It suspected that the creation story is also Sumerian. The dispute between Cain and Abel is a retelling of two Sumerian gods trying to get the affection of the Sumerian sky god and he also picks the one that supplies the meat. I could go on but I think what really happen is popular stories of the time we’re just put together as a collection of writings and then were edited to promote one god. I also think the god Serapis was a model for what was later to be this new guy called Jesus.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF
    Crazyguy25 hours ago

Actually I found this out studying what Jewish scholars say about the Torah.

Jewish scholars from where? The WTS? LOL

I;m calling bunk

• Crazyguy2
    Crazyguy2

Why don’t you try and find a Torah older then the 6th century AD and then show me one that has vowel points older then the 10 century AD. Why don’t you do some research yourself TTWSYF. Why don’t you try and look past all the propaganda and lies and find some real truth before you go and judge someone else’s research or are you still just an ignorant JW?

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

CG2- just saw this, i'll reply this weekend addressing every concern...and some.

hopefully, you'll read it and not do the 'blow off'

For the record, OT hebrew has no vowels. good for you for knowing that

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Crazyguy2-

First off, let me apologize for offending you. I thought that you were being funny and not serious. Hence my LOL about theocratic warfare. I am not trying to belittle you or anyone else interested in serious Christian research.

That said, let me also say that I'm not into pasteing a pile of rubbish that people won;t read. Shorter is sweeter and now, let's get right to it.

Why don’t you try and find a Torah older then the 6th century AD

1-The very first translation of the Hebrew Bible was made into Greek, probably as early as the third century BC. This, the so-called Septuagint translation of the Hebrew Bible into Greek, is traditionally dated to the reign of Ptolemy II Philadelphus of Egypt (285-246 BC)

The significance of the Septuagint translation can hardly be overestimated. Following the conquests of Alexander the Great (336-323 BC), Greek became the official language of Egypt, Syria and the eastern end of the Mediterranean Sea. The Septuagint translation made the Hebrew scriptures available both to the Jews who no longer spoke their ancestral language and to the entire Greek-speaking world. The Septuagint was later to become the Bible of the Greek-speaking early Church, and is frequently quoted in the New Testament. The above from the link below

https://biblearchaeology.org/research/new-testament-era/4022-a-brief-history-of-the-septuagint

Septuagint (sometimes abbreviated LXX) is the name given to the Greek translation of the Jewish Scriptures. The Septuagint has its origin in Alexandria, Egypt and was translated between 300-200 BC. Widely used among Hellenistic Jews, this Greek translation was produced because many Jews spread throughout the empire were beginning to lose their Hebrew language. The process of translating the Hebrew to Greek also gave many non-Jews a glimpse into Judaism. According to an ancient document called the Letter of Aristeas, it is believed that 70 to 72 Jewish scholars were commissioned during the reign of Ptolemy Philadelphus to carry out the task of translation. The term “Septuagint” means seventy in Latin, and the text is so named to the credit of these 70 scholars.
    Septuagint - Influence on Christianity
    The Septuagint was also a source of the Old Testament for early Christians during the first few centuries AD. Many early Christians spoke and read Greek, thus they relied on the Septuagint translation for most of their understanding of the Old Testament. The New Testament writers also relied heavily on the Septuagint, as a majority of Old Testament quotes cited in the New Testament are quoted directly from the Septuagint (others are quoted from the Hebrew texts). Greek church fathers are also known to have quoted from the Septuagint. Even today, the Eastern Orthodox Church relies on the Septuagint for its Old Testament teachings. Some modern Bible translations also use the Septuagint along side Hebrew manuscripts as their source text.

Septuagint - What Does It Contain?
    The Septuagint contains the standard 39 books of the Old Testament canon, as well as certain apocryphal books. The term "Apocrypha" was coined by the fifth-century biblical scholar, Jerome, and generally refers to the set of ancient Jewish writings written during the period between the last book in the Jewish scriptures, Malachi, and the arrival of Jesus Christ. The apocryphal books include Judith, Tobit, Baruch, Sirach (or Ecclesiasticus), the Wisdom of Solomon, First and Second Maccabees, the two Books of Esdras, additions to the Book of Esther, additions to the Book of Daniel, and the Prayer of Manasseh.

The Apocryphal books were included in the Septuagint for historical and religious purposes, but are not recognized by Protestant Christians or Orthodox Jews as canonical (inspired by God). Most reformed teachers will point out that the New Testament writers never quoted from the Apocryphal books, and that the Apocrypha was never considered part of the canonical Jewish scripture. However, the Roman Catholic Church and the Orthodox churches include the Apocrypha in their Bible (except for the books of Esdras and the Prayer of Manasseh)

The above texts were from the link below

https://www.septuagint.net/

Truely, The Truth Will Set You Free

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF
    Crazyguy22 days ago

I have found that the earliest Torah was actually the Greek Septuagint and it was only the first 5 books. The whole Bible was really a Greek invention with maybe a spattering of Jewish propaganda and history thrown in. I think this Torah was introduced to push a new beliefs as the Greeks were all about influencing the ones they concurred and Ptolemy even introduced a new hybrid god named Serapis.

Septuagint - What Does It Contain?
    The Septuagint contains the standard 39 books of the Old Testament canon, as well as certain apocryphal books

I know I already posted this reply, I just like looking at my picture...lol

• jws
    jws

I’m not Catholic. I would never be. But I’ve been saying this for years to all of the anti-Catholic fundies around that they wouldn’t even have the Bible they so love if the Catholics hadn’t picked over the texts and created it.

• cofty
    cofty
    Cofty? You're bald ...like me..lol

Yeah, but my head is the right way up :)

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF
    cofty13 minutes ago
    Cofty? You're bald ...like me..lol

Yeah, but my head is the right way up :smile:

What about when you're sleeping?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit