Start A Butterfly Garden!

by Bonsai 150 Replies latest jw friends

• Heaven
    Heaven

Forecast for tomorrow is calling for rain with possibility of snow. It won't last but we haven't hit May 24th yet here in Ontario which is supposed to be our last frost free day until the fall. I have dandelions, plantain, wood violets, and chickweed growing in the lawn.

I am getting into foraging. I ate my first dandelion blooms and wood violet flowers in my salad for lunch this past Friday. They are growing free in my backyard lawn. While picking them, I had a taste of both types of blooms and they were quite nice. I haven't tried the dandelion greens yet as I know they are bitter. Apparently the root is edible as well. I have been munching on the chickweed too but have yet to put it in my salad.

My columbines are budding up - they should probably bloom next week. The Monarda and Echinacea have greens coming up and my sage plant also has green leaves on it now. Of course the chive is up and some lettuces that self-seeded from last year are also up. Waiting to see if any tomatoes self-seeded.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

My columbines are just opening.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

My apple tree is so full of blossom this year.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Xanthippe, virtually no pink at all in the apple blossom even in the bud! What variety is this? It normally it indicates the native wild apple of the hedgerow. A thing of beauty nevertheless.

Heaven, I have drunk dandelion 'coffee' which is made from the root but not yet eaten the flower. Would you recommend it? The French name for it is a bit off-putting!

Did you know that the dandelion reproduces asexually?

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Half banana it's a very rosy eating apple, quite delicious. I don't know the name of it, it was here when we bought this house. I also have a cooker that tastes very similar to a Bramley which is just coming into flower. I will try and post a picture of it but it's very slow loading photos from my iPad on this site today.

• Xanthippe
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose

I've really been into succulents lately, I started making these boxes last year and added more this year. Succulents are easy to grow and drought tolerant, plus everything is on a drip system, so the whole wall uses very little water. This fence is visible from my living and dining areas and I wanted to look out and see something green. The hanging pot is an old chicken feeder, I have two of them.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Quite a few butterflies in the garden today. Red Admirals, small blues and Tortoiseshells. I saw my first Orange Tip last week. The bee balm, Monarda, isn't quite big enough to plant out yet but hopefully that will attract more insects. It does smell lovely which made the seedlings a real joy to pot on. Looking forward to the flowers.
  • Half banana
    Half banana
    Imaginative fence decoration Lisa Rose! In which part of the world do you live  to be able to grow succulents? Do they stay out all year round? I see you have an agave and echeverias also a lovely acanthus in the ground. Any aeoniums? One of my favourite succulents is theHottentot fig Carpobrotus edulis but like most succulents it's not hardy in the UK except in the Scilly Isles, on the beaches in the far south west.
  • kaik
    kaik

My mountain laurel is in full bloom, but weather is messed up and too cool for other plants to blom.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit