Personalities on the forum

by compound complex 13 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings:

We've frequently discussed how forums are different from real life, yet many have developed close friendships through this and other boards. Some posters are super friendly and personable and others just state their business and do not interact. I understand human nature and cannot be friends with everyone. Even in the so-called real life I am not on intimate terms with everyone, even with acquaintances of many years.

Desirous of Change commented on the "signature" thread that signing one's real-life name, one's "signature," at the end of a post makes one seem more real in an otherwise anonymous setting. Whatever the signature, many here on the forum are very real people -- and friends -- to us. Of course, there are sound reasons why most posters don't want to reveal too much. After ten years on this great forum (thanks, Simon and Angharad), I am a lot more open than at the beginning.

Your thoughts are welcome.

• Simon
    Simon

I think that on forums, just as in real life, we all have different personalities and personas. Some are more or less guarded and honest to who we truly are but you are always different depending on who you are with. It takes more energy in person which is why it's nice to be with friends where you can be yourself.

Having a different persona on a forum is much easier and also why there isn't any one global online system. While there will always be the behemoth "friends and family" facebook type networks many times you want a separate area for your separate persona. I go on many tech forums and chatrooms for instance, I'm not "the exJW guy" there. When I'm with tech friends, I'm still more of a tech guy than I am when I'm with friends with kids when I become the fun guy who plays games.

We always change to suit our audience but hopefully we chose which side of our personality to promote rather than completely faking a new one.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Simon! You put it all in a nutshell.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    signing one's real-life name, one's "signature," at the end of a post makes one seem more real in an otherwise anonymous setting.

I don't know so much about that....Yourself compound complex, & ,say for example, Blondie, Atlantis , Wifi Bandit and many others,too many to list are very real to me. I know that behind the screen name and avatar is a very real person whom I have come to know and respect over a long time.

We are real ... and as the masthead on a certain U K Sunday tabloid paper used to say "All human life is here"

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

I'm here because I was once a witness and the experience was interesting and I have a curiosity about how others were impacted. Sometimes I'm just here to have a little fun because humor can run wild here in a curious jw way. I guess we never really know who lives behind the avatars it's a mystery. People often think they know movie stars or talk about characters in a tv show like they're real.

Are there layers of realness? I can't see you or hear you but you leave a message and I can read it like finding an ancient piece of pottery and I wonder who made this? What were they like?

• millie210
    millie210

Great food for thought CoCo.

I like the anonymity of forums. Instead of being less ones self I think it enables us to be more of ourself. It is a place where you can be truly honest about what you think and feel without running the risk of hurting the feelings of people in your day to day life that may have expectations of you.

Before I felt confident enough to express my displeasure with the Org in person, I came here. I said what I thought. I got validation, my confidence grew, I confided in people I know in my life and they too responded positively.

This forum was a starting point, a leaping off place of new ideas and feelings that were blooming in me. It was a great dress rehearsal in a safe area.

I always assume someone is who they say they are. If they are not, it will show up given time. Some of the finest people I have ever conversed with are here on the site. I love it.

(and of course I love you too CoCo - that seems a given with your gentle soul)

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, BluesBrother, Nancy, and Millie, for your insightful comments and kindly sentiments.

Love and blessings.

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

I wish i was smart enough or Bourne enough to have an alternate, cooler ego on a forum. It would be cool to recreate myself and make everyone think I'm sophisticated and better than I actually am. But alas, I am me and can't change me. My real personality and genuine self gushes out in any setting or venue. I suck at poker and only know how to be me. I think that is one reason I couldn't wing it in the org.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Well said millie!

• Village Idiot

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit