Hospital refuses surgery on JW patient - Switzerland

by TheWonderofYou 14 Replies latest watchtower medical

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

Switzerland -

JW files a suit because his surgery was refused! Supreme Court decides against JW.

In the present case, the dilemma to which the hospital refers is not at all. For the routine operation, which does without transfusion, his client had agreed. The possibility of transfusion in an emergency did not even have to be considered, said the Jehovah's Witness before the Supreme Court of Bern. After all, it was a small, routine operation.
    The supreme court, on the other hand, argued that such a risk was not simply negligible. The hospital management may also refuse treatment. This is not only a matter for the executive doctor. An operation is always a team performance.

http://www.bernerzeitung.ch/region/bern/berner-spital-weigerte-sich-zeuge-jehovas-zu-operieren-zu-recht/story/24142487

http://www.20min.ch/schweiz/news/story/Spital-verweigert-OP---Zeuge-Jehovas-klagt-11728833

http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/panorama/vermischtes/berner-spital-durfte-zeugen-jehovas-operation-verweigern/story/20408060

Austria

http://www.heute.at/welt/news/story/Krankenhaus-verweigert-OP---Zeuge-Jehovas-klagt-50613305

• waton
    waton

and we thought the USA is the litigation prone region. Bern is stubborn too. There is an interesting related article in the first link where a blood type mixup let to the initial conviction of a doctor in 2011 for careless homicide. and

Jws, wt are not a "race" because there are not enough of them. so no racial discrimination in the refusal case.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Good on them. Hospitals are supposed to do surgery and then do it the JW way no blood then when something goes wrong the JWs sue them blaming the hospital for things not going just perfect because JWs think blood is not needed just used to make money. So I'm seeing more and more hospitals refusing to operate on JWs and I say again good in them.

• smiddy
    smiddy

If I was a doctor and recommeded a patient have a certain treatment and they refused on religious grounds I would then not be their doctor but advise them to find another doctor who will honour their beliefs.

For doctors to be restricted this way by patients and then when things go wrong the patient sues the doctor ,how pathetic is that .?

Doctors nowadays need to protect themselves from patients that are too eager to sue them for unforseen occurences that happen.

And for Jehovahs Witnesses to do that just shows where their priorities lie. $$$$$$$

• jwleaks
  • TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou
    Jws, wt are not a "race" because there are not enough of them. so no racial discrimination in the refusal case.

How they advocate "coercion" and "racial discrimination" sucks. However in Switzerland there is only one law for all discrimination.

https://www.humanrights.ch/de/menschenrechte-themen/rassismus/schweiz/gesetze/antirassismus-strafnorm

Swiss law about racial discrimination (including JW), Article 261

racial discrimination
    Anyone who publicly raises hatred or discrimination against a person or a group of persons because of their race, ethnicity or religion,
    Who publicly disseminates ideologies aimed at systematically reducing or defaming the members of a race, ethnicity or religion,
    Who, with the same aim, organizes, promotes or participates in propaganda campaigns,

Any person who publicly discriminates against, or discriminates against, a person or a group of persons for any breach, ethnicity, or religion in a manner which is contrary to human dignity, or for any genocide or other crimes committed against him by word, Which denies humanity, is grossly degraded or justified,

Who is refused a service offered by him, which is intended for the community, to a person or a group of persons because of their race, ethnicity or religion,

Will be punished with imprisonment for up to three years or a fine.

Disturbance of religious and religious freedom

Those who publicly and in a vulgar way disguised or mocked the conviction of others in matters of faith, in particular the belief in God, or misconstrued objects of religious worship,

Who maliciously prevents, disrupts, or publicly mocks a constitutionally guaranteed cultic act,

Who maliciously disguised a place or object destined for a constitutionally guaranteed cult or for such a cultic act,

Will be punished with a fine of up to 180 days.

Will be punished with imprisonment for up to three years or a fine.

If we respect them, they take the liberty to justify unsocial behavior. The doctor has not "PUBLICLY DISCRIMINATED" any JW by refusal of a surgery! Dare you to persecute such a little poor cultic minority. You should rather protect any cult and form of oddball cultic rules like disfellowshipment, child sacrifice to the bloodless medicine, pregnant women dying without blood transfusions in the operating theatre and pay for all social and health consequences of cult victims.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

This whole non blood thing may a well sound like this to me:

Doctor: Good news, we can perform your operation in the morning.

Patient: That's wonderful news doctor. Only, i'd like you to do the operation using only your left hand, cutting with a knife only, no scissors, and instead of stitching me up i'd like you to use cellotape.

Doctor: I... im not willing to do that...

Patient: You're discriminating! Im being persecuted for my beliefs. The prophecies were right!

Quack Doctor: Hallo everybody! I'll do the operation for you.

Patient: This surely is a blessing from Jehovah!

Patient dies.

Mother: What a wonderful display of faith! We'll see her in the resurrection.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Switzerland.

Donat R. Spahn.

Blood politics. And the JW patients are the pawns in their deadly game.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Sooo sad that a person is (semi) willing to give up their life based on some f*cked up interpretation of a jewish dietary law imposed on the f*cked up nation of Israel. I've lost 2 jw friends who very well could have survived if they had taken a blood transfusion.

Unfortunately the wtbts will never be able to get "new light" on the blood issue due to the lawsuits that would follow. Wouldn't it be ironic if jw's would start suing the wtbts if one of their loved ones died as a result of refusing a blood transfusion. Or, sue the wtbts if the jw accepts a blood transfusion, survives but is then disfellowshipped (essentially being put to a spiritual death).They would probably not be able to win the law suit, but it would surely start to cost the wtbts to have to defend themselves.

just saying!

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    waton: Jws, wt are not a "race" because there are not enough of them.

I don't think that quantity has anything to do with the definition of "race". But I agree, Jws are not a "race".

What they are though, is a group of people who have a rare blood disorder. A blood disorder that dictates they cannot receive blood (well...certain kinds of blood). And what makes this an ethically precarious position for the Watchtower Society, is that it is the Society who has given that disorder to this group of people. That rare blood group has been constructed - the JWs are not 'medically' a rare blood group - the WTS says they are.

And that is where I have an issue with the WTS' blood phobia. They have been allowed to use that "religious" doctrine to create an experimental group - a group of people who can medically have blood but are prohibited from having it. This transgresses everything that their twisted mantra of "first do no harm" is meant to stand for.

"When you give somebody a disease — even by the standards of their time — you really cross the key ethical norm of the profession," said Arthur Caplan, director of the University of Pennsylvania's Center for Bioethics.

The JWs haven't been given a disease per se. They have been given an inherited disorder. They have inherited a blood phobia from the WTS and their unholy alliance with the bloodless industry. The JWs have been given a blood disorder.

eyeuse2badub:
    Unfortunately the wtbts will never be able to get "new light" on the blood issue due to the lawsuits that would follow.

"New light" concerning the blood issue has always followed the direction that new developments in the bloodless industry require. The only thing that could possibly change the blood doctrine is when a safe and effective blood substitute has been developed. And even then, I doubt it. There are always bigger and brighter frontiers to conquer in the world of blood development.

Besides, if and when that magic elixir - artificial blood - hits the market, all it will do is allow the JWs to say - see? jehobah was right! And all the while they will ignore the glaring reality that everything the bloodle$$ industry pin$ their hope$ on, only came about as the result of blood transfusion technology to begin with. Without blood transfusion technology, the bloodless world would be dead in the water. Hypocrites.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit