Are JWs the most gossiping people on earth?

by Londo111 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Tempest in a Teacup
    Tempest in a Teacup

My non jw brother, after observing jws at a convention and in one or two meetings, gave us his "analysis" of the gossiping problem in jws about 20 years ago.

He determined that the underlying reason why there's so much gossip was that we formed a society which was too closed on itself and our lives as co-believers are too intertwined.

And so "person A's cousin is the bible student of someone 's sister in law who in turn is the best friend of someone's mother. The mother is in the same congregation as the wife of someone who studied with the nephew of the cousin of the friend of someone who has issues with the daughter of person A (and so on and so forth)". In the end, someone somewhere in the jw world will always know you/know things about you.

I felt it makes sense. I've been paying attention since then and it's so true. Our lives are too intertwined. Of course other reasons are part of the equation.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Sometimes I feel sorry for judgmental people and their boring lives, other times

I'm jealous. I wish I had that much time to worry about things that are none

of my business. A nice quote.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Seeing the JW religion through the eyes of those who never were was therapeutic early on. It helped me see that it was not a normal environment.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

In answer to the thread question:

Well, I cant actually say, but I did hear from a sister's friend in another congregation who's husband is an elder, that the CO told them that in another part of the world the brothers did report that there are more that get hurt by gossip each day. But he did say to not tell anyone, but I know I can trust you to not share this news because we are friends...so shhh

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit