Are JWs the most gossiping people on earth?

by Londo111 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Londo111
    Londo111

In part the title was a play on Anthony Morris referring to JWs as "the thinkingest people on the planet" but not meant to be taken literally. Of course, if scientists did a study of every religious group and found out that JWs as a group were #1 in gossip, I don't think it would surprise me.

• Island Man
    Island Man

A phenomenon I have noticed with JWs in my area is that they see nothing wrong with gossiping negatively about worldly people. They consider it a sin to gossip about fellow Witnesses. But JW elders openly gossip with other JWs about their non-JW bosses, their non-JW neighbors and others - especially when it comes to practices that JWs consider bad, like celebrating christmas, halloween, etc. They are total hypocrites.

• Tallon
    Tallon

JW's don't hold the monopoly on gossip. It's a fact of life that you will find it everywhere.

Having said that, the standards that JW's set themselves is at odds with what some of them do.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Island Man - a correction to your post above would be JW elders in addition to gossiping about non JW bosses and neighbors also tell all confidential info to their wives who tell the other sisters in the congregation, that I can attest to from growing up when an my mother and an elders wife were very close and also when my father became an elder. Nothing is secret in DubLand

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

When you are a member of a small group that has little contact with any other group, there ain't much more to talk about than other members.

I don't think JW's are any worse than other groups that fit the above criteria.

The only difference is that there are a good number of Scriptures that proscribe gossip.

• new boy
    new boy

Why do you think they keep the congregations small? So that everyone can "keep tabs" on everyone else easier. In these small groups everyone knows far way to much about everyone else and and their business.

• Londo111
    Londo111

That is a good point about gossip about non-JWs...it is part and parcel of the JW religion to make notes about return visits and Bible studies, including intimate details about their private lives (even bedroom details of married couples), and troubleshoot these things with other JWs. "So-and-so has a problem with...how do I approach this with them?"

I remember years ago a young pioneer placed a Mankind's Search For God book with some folks in a fast food restaurant. He related this "experience" to the other pioneers. Two pioneer women called on them later that day or the next day. They were buzzing with enthusiasm when they learned they had received the book and exclaimed the young pioneer's name who placed it with them. The non-JWs at the door said something like, "You know? You talk about these things with each other?"

And of course, growing up with elders in my family I would overhear things I should not have.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Nothing travels faster than bad news in the org

• Londo111
    Londo111

Unless it is about the org...then it is "apostate lies".

• aintenoughwiskey
    aintenoughwiskey

Gossip is currency in the BORG. If you are connected they can keep a reign on it. If you are a smelly unwashed publisher no secrets allowed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit